Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got news today that CMP and Tesla resolved siting issues for the Portland location, so that will be in place late spring/summer.

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully resolution of Portland will encourage Tesla to get on with the Augusta and Bangor locations.

- - - Updated - - -

Robert, Can you share the location address without compromising your source.

I've emailed to congratulate, thank and also asked if we can go public.

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully resolution of Portland will encourage Tesla to get on with the Augusta and Bangor locations.

- - - Updated - - -

I've emailed to congratulate, thank and also asked if we can go public.

To follow up he replied so here's a ...

Portland, ME "sausage making" update:
9/26: not received final lease as hoped
10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
10/24: believes last remaining lease issue is solved
10/31: hopeful final iteration was sent the previous day
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/12: utility not yet answered on possible solution.
12/19: CMP does not like proximity of transformer and gas lines …back to the drawing board...
1/9/2015: CMP and Tesla will meet within next two weeks to come up with a solution.
1/15/2015: CMP and Tesla visited and met and agreed a solution, but it needs to be documented and then reviewed and agreed by CMP.

- - - Updated - - -

Not yet; it's in the central business district of Portland, about 1 mile off I-295. Not quite EZOff-EZOn, but lots of places to eat/drink/shop to compensate.

I haven't driven there at absolute peak commuter time, but while it's not right off I-295, it's certainly not difficult to get there and when we've been to that area on a Saturday evening traffic's been fine.

And, yes, it'd be an excellent location to kill just-under-an-hour.

Last edited:
The Portland site will be very easy to get to maybe 3-5 minutes off 295 depending on traffic.
i just visited Auburn off 290 and it seems farther out of the way but maybe due to unfamiliarity
The site looks great at Auburn, but it is kind of lonely for the one Model S I saw there.
i am much more of a downtown guy than a mall guy, lots local businesses in the Old Port area to eat drink and be merry at!
hope it comes soon !!

It looks like Hooksett northbound went live today. I posted pictures over in the Hooksett thread:

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas - Page 22

Charged at Hooksett on Friday. Its at a big liquor store. There's some construction going on inside which looks like there will be a diner and other stuff there soon.
IMG_4156.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also charged at Brattleboro, VT on Friday. There's a grocery store there (24x7), a Brueggers bagels and a dunkin nearby. Lines were a bit off so watch your line up for the chargers.

Also the drive from Brattleboro, VT supercharger to the Albany, NY supercharger is amazing.

IMG_4160.jpg

Outside New England but the Albany, NY supercharger is at a nice big mall. Unlike the Auburn MA mall there's actually useful stuff inside.
IMG_4169.jpg

10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/19: CMP does not like proximity of transformer and gas lines …back to the drawing board...
1/9/2015: CMP and Tesla will meet within next two weeks to come up with a solution.
1/15/2015: CMP and Tesla visited and met and agreed a solution, but it needs to be documented and then reviewed and agreed by CMP.
1/30/2015: has not seen any engineering documents that Tesla needs to produce for CMP.

1/30/2015: has not seen any engineering documents that Tesla needs to produce for CMP.

Thanks for the update. So, the ball is firmly in TM's court at this time?

Grey "Opening Soon" flag for West Leb/WRJ - is this new?

I just noticed that there is a grey "Opening Soon" marker on the "today" SC map in the West Lebanon, NH/WRJ, VT area. Is this new? I don't recall seeing it before. Here's a direct link to the map jpg (you can expand it to full size for a better view of New England):

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/images/supercharger/maps/today-northamerica.jpg

A week ago I did troll around the obvious possible sites on my way from Hanover to Mass, but I didn't see any construction:

1. Take I-91 south to exit 11, Rt 5 in WRJ. I explored from the Rt 4 junction to the north, and south to under I-89 (past the VA hospital). After 89, it gets pretty desolate (not a likely spot). I also drove down Sykes Mountain Ave, past the McDonald's, Bus Station, etc until it became residential.
  2. The one long strip mall of 12A, from Home Depot north to the Powerhouse Mall. I also checked out Interchange Drive (the loop "around back" from Walmart to McDonald's, where the Valley News offices are).
  3. I went up Benning Street behind the Shaw's (I little too industrial, and a bit of a walk to amenities).
  4. At the Powerhouse Mall, I turned up Glen Rd and went to Rt 10, and drove Rt 10 past the movie theater and Price Chopper, and got on 89 south.

Personally, I think #2, somewhere on 12A makes the most sense, since there is the most to do (even if the incentives are better in VT). The detour off I-91 is <5 minutes at most.

I did look around the Hartford, VT (WRJ is part of Hartford) and Lebanon, NH web sites (specifically planning board pages) for any docs of interest, but didn't see anything.

I just noticed that there is a grey "Opening Soon" marker on the "today" SC map in the West Lebanon, NH/WRJ, VT area. Is this new? I don't recall seeing it before. Here's a direct link to the map jpg (you can expand it to full size for a better view of New England):
I looked at some of the saved pages on archive.org - it looks like the oldest "new format" for the supercharger page is 1/13 (prior to that, 1/8 had the old design). The 1/13 page also had a grey flag for West Leb/WRJ, so I guess I was wrong.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/images/supercharger/maps/today-northamerica.jpg

A week ago I did troll around the obvious possible sites on my way from Hanover to Mass, but I didn't see any construction:

1. Take I-91 south to exit 11, Rt 5 in WRJ. I explored from the Rt 4 junction to the north, and south to under I-89 (past the VA hospital). After 89, it gets pretty desolate (not a likely spot). I also drove down Sykes Mountain Ave, past the McDonald's, Bus Station, etc until it became residential.
  2. The one long strip mall of 12A, from Home Depot north to the Powerhouse Mall. I also checked out Interchange Drive (the loop "around back" from Walmart to McDonald's, where the Valley News offices are).
  3. I went up Benning Street behind the Shaw's (I little too industrial, and a bit of a walk to amenities).
  4. At the Powerhouse Mall, I turned up Glen Rd and went to Rt 10, and drove Rt 10 past the movie theater and Price Chopper, and got on 89 south.

Personally, I think #2, somewhere on 12A makes the most sense, since there is the most to do (even if the incentives are better in VT). The detour off I-91 is <5 minutes at most.

I did look around the Hartford, VT (WRJ is part of Hartford) and Lebanon, NH web sites (specifically planning board pages) for any docs of interest, but didn't see anything.

Did you drive through the parking lot for the Powerhouse Mall? Especially behind EMS and over by Lui Lui's? That would be my first guess followed by the mall with Sears and CVS or perhaps across the street behind one of the fast food places.

I've been following this and have checked the meeting minutes of Hanover, Lebanon, and Hartford (includes WRJ, Quechee, Hartford) planning board and there were no discussion on Tesla permits, etc...

I know it says opening soon, however, in 2014 Tesla supercharger map had said it would be coming soon by the end of 2014. That didn't happen.

I do agree having it in WRJ near the bus stop and McDonalds is ideal since I-89 and I-91 converge there. It would meet the demands of both Interstate Highway Tesla drivers!

Did you drive through the parking lot for the Powerhouse Mall? Especially behind EMS and over by Lui Lui's? That would be my first guess followed by the mall with Sears and CVS or perhaps across the street behind one of the fast food places.
Yes, I drove around the main central lot of the Powerhouse, then the smaller lot between Amidon Jewelers and 12A, and continued down to the small lot between Lui-Lui's and the river. I then checked out the big lot behind EMS. No sign of anything.

My 12A soutbound tour started in the K-Mart parking lot. I took the new access road under 89 to the JC Penney, and continued the southbound parking lot tour past CVS, into BJ's (for a quick stop for dog food and K-Cups), then crossed 12A at the light by Applebee's and Best Buy. I went the whole way through the lots so I could stop and look around without worrying about traffic. Then I went up Interchange Drive, back on 12A south, turned around in the Walmart lot, and did a quick pass of 12A north to the Powerhouse. Nothing, either.

I didn't go up the airport access road and explore the industrial park, but that didn't seem like a likely location to me (too far to food, shopping, etc)

I know it says opening soon, however, in 2014 Tesla supercharger map had said it would be coming soon by the end of 2014. That didn't happen.
Yeah, I know.:redface: All that talk about Utica becoming real got me excited to think grey pins meant some real progress (at least permits).

I do agree having it in WRJ near the bus stop and McDonalds is ideal since I-89 and I-91 converge there. It would meet the demands of both Interstate Highway Tesla drivers!
Personally, this is my least favorite location, because it has the least to do while charging of the others. Meal options are limited to the diner, Subway, or supersizing yourself at McD's, and entertainment consists of people watching at the bus station, mailing a letter, or torturing salesmen at the Hyundai and Toyota dealerships.

WRJ is slightly less of an inconvenience to I-89 travelers then West Leb is to I-91 travelers (by maybe a mile), but there is a lot more to do in West Leb than WRJ.

Help Needed - Rally Around Portland SC

I got a letter from the owner of the site that Tesla has been studying for Superchargers in Portland, Maine. He writes:
[Tesla's] patience has run thin on the lengthy process for getting them approved. At this point I am concerned that Tesla might lose interest and focus elsewhere. ... [field rep] also mentioned that his boss is concerned about their spending on new locations.
As @itsnotaboutthemoney has documented, there have been delays in getting the local utility's approval for the design, but those designs are now in to CMP. (I'll use my connection there to help expedite.) The other issue is 24-hour access, but the owner has proposed two entirely workable solutions (valet at a nearby hotel, Tesla key-fob control of the security gates).

If you care about this Supercharger site, or even if you want to help those who, like me, care deeply about this site, then I'm asking for your help. Please write to [email protected] express your support for the downtown Portland SC site in whatever way makes sense for you. Tesla holds itself up as a customer-focused company; let's raise our voices as customers to get this SC across the finish line.

Thank you for your help,
Robert