Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Nomad delivered today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny.....ordered mid-October.....two hours after it was delivered via FedEx, I got an automated email saying it had shipped, go figure. But at least it arrived.

I have to say, it's really nice. For sure no battery inside, feels light. Fits perfectly, looks sharp, phone won't slide, love it.

It appears to run fine with only one power cord plugged into one USB port. It can charge one iPhone X off left or right, and it will also charge two iPhone X's at the same time, both left and right. This way I just save the right port for my DashCam flash drive.

I tried to measure amps but can't get a good reading with my multi-meter, to verify what's going on. I don't need fast charging, just normal charging for two phones. The vast majority of the time I'll just have my own phone there.....but periodically my wife's will be there for two units simultaneously charging.

I'm assuming the current is cut in half when charging two phones,.....maybe the charging will barely keep up. Is that correct??

Reactions: jjrandorin
Wow - that's cool !!

Yeah I had emailed them last month asking about this, and they responded that I only needed one port but I wasn’t sure until I plugged it in. I’m assuming the charging slows down, not acceptable for majority of the gear heads in this forum, but probably good enough for me.

By the way, there are two cables coming out of the unit.....I’m just using one.

• Informative
Thanks !!! I was prepared to purchase the Jeda pad before reading your post. Now I'll be ordering the Nomad one. Do the phones slide around at all or is the pad really grippy ?

Thanks again for the info and Happy Holidays !

Thanks! Pad is grippy, plus there’s a ridge along the side when it’s mounted, so it can’t slide off. Both left and right charging lights are on the Nomad with two phones, plus both phones are showing they are charging. Now, how fast are they charging, I don’t know? But, it’s good enough for me. If I find the two together don’t charge fast enough, I’ll just run a hidden charge cable from my 12V lighter in the console. I really don’t want to mess with my dash cam flash drive.

• Informative
I received my Nomad pad today as well. They gave me 2 USB splitter cables with my order. I’m assuming these are for plugging in a USB drive plus half of the charging pad at the same time. Haven’t tried it yet, so not sure if it works or not.
Liking the pad itself. The finish is similar to the rubber mat from Tesla. That area is usually pretty dark in the car, so it’s hard to tell it’s not stock.
Certainly much more convient than trying to get my phone on the stock charging cord connector.
Haven’t had my phone on there long enough to figure out how fast it charges, but I’m not real concerned about the charging speed either. As long as it slowly increases ill be happy.

Ok here are some pics.....really difficult to get good pictures, it's so freaking dark in that spot. Pics include:
The look without phones charging.....note there is a lip at bottom that phone rests on, and the console ridge on left/right keeps phone from falling out.
One phone charging on left, one phone charging on right
The lid closed over the phone charging,....it does close if for some reason you'd want it closed??
Cables underneath, two cables coming out of Nomad, left one plugged into left USB port....note flash drive in right USB port. By the way, I recall reading on this forum that the cables were too short. They seem fine on mine, they string right through the holes under the Nomad, lots of extra length.
Two phones charging, both charging lights on the Nomad.

IMG_9581.jpg IMG_9582.jpg IMG_9583.jpg IMG_9584.jpg IMG_9588.jpg IMG_9589.jpg

what the heck???....ok lets try this again.....

Attachments

• IMG_9581.jpg
    IMG_9581.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_9584.jpg
    IMG_9584.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9589.jpg
    IMG_9589.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_9583.jpg
    IMG_9583.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_9588.jpg
    IMG_9588.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 281
Thanks! Pad is grippy, plus there’s a ridge along the side when it’s mounted, so it can’t slide off. Both left and right charging lights are on the Nomad with two phones, plus both phones are showing they are charging. Now, how fast are they charging, I don’t know? But, it’s good enough for me. If I find the two together don’t charge fast enough, I’ll just run a hidden charge cable from my 12V lighter in the console. I really don’t want to mess with my dash cam flash drive.
I just received this answer from Nomad regarding powering their pad from the lighter outlet, because I was hoping that I could then get fast wireless charging with my Note8. Sadly this was their response:
Hi William,

We do not recommend using the 12v socket with the Wireless Charger because it does not automatically turn the charger on when the car is turned on. Only when the Wireless Charger is plugged into the the front console will it turn on automatically with the car. This means that if you do decide to connect the Wireless Charger to the 12v socket (again, not recommended), you would have to unplug the cables and re-plug them in whenever you start the car.

We are providing 2 USB splitters with every order of the Gen 2 Wireless Charger so that you can plug the charger into the ports of the front console and still have some free USB space for using other features that Tesla offers.

I just received this answer from Nomad regarding powering their pad from the lighter outlet, because I was hoping that I could then get fast wireless charging with my Note8. Sadly this was their response:
Hi William,

We do not recommend using the 12v socket with the Wireless Charger because it does not automatically turn the charger on when the car is turned on. Only when the Wireless Charger is plugged into the the front console will it turn on automatically with the car. This means that if you do decide to connect the Wireless Charger to the 12v socket (again, not recommended), you would have to unplug the cables and re-plug them in whenever you start the car.

We are providing 2 USB splitters with every order of the Gen 2 Wireless Charger so that you can plug the charger into the ports of the front console and still have some free USB space for using other features that Tesla offers.

Well that's strange, but thanks for the info for sure.....saves the trouble of running the line....though I suppose I could confirm this myself as I have the fast charger plug for my 12V and an extension male/female USB line.

Actually my wife was with me yesterday, driving around, ......ha, always looking for an excuse to run errands in this car! Anyhow, we had both phones charging at the same time.....the battery charge went up on both phones over 20min drive to the store, didn't seem to be an issue. Seems like it's working fine off one port, go figure?

Hi William,

Odd--I have been using a 1st gen Nomad charger for several months. This is powered from the 12V outlet by way of a hidden cable into the front compartment with a 5-to-1 USB power block. I have both Nomad cables in the power block. I did try the USB splitter cables (signal/power) and could not get them to work. My USB jump drives (MP3/Music and TeslaCam) are directly plugged into the 2 front USB ports. All works perfectly. Nomad pad powers up just fine.

In spite of the negative response from Nomad regarding the use of the lighter outlet to power the pad via a powered hub, I don't get why the pad would need to be disconnected from the hub in order to power on. I didn't think there was any on off switching, except for the power being on or off to the pad. A vaguely remember that this may have been an issue only when charging Iphones, but I don't know why it should be.

I just got my Nomad today. Although you can power both sides of the pad with just one of the two power wires, I was unsuccessful in charging two phones at the same time. A single phone would charge on either side, but when both phones were placed on the pad, charging was intermittent with both phones. I needed to use both power cables and one of the two splitters they provided so I could use my DashCam. Both of my phones were Android; so people with two I-phones may have better luck using only one of the two power cords.

Well that’s a bummer......question for you, with the splitter does your dash cam still work ok?
The DashCam appears to be working but because only one side of the splitter is for data, I had to play around with both sides of the splitter before finding the correct side. In addition, I could only get the proper connection for the DashCam flash drive when the splitter was plugged into the left USB port, although before without a splitter it was working fine in the right USB port.