Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New oak interior decor in configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a MS 100D 1.5 months ago and I find it to be the most enjoyable car I have ever driven, inside and out. No doubt MX and M3 owners feel the same about their cars. But what strikes me as odd about these Tesla forums is a lot of the negativity that some owners seem to have for the Tesla model they did not buy.

I mean, here we are, supposedly commenting on the addition and removal of some interior options and someone still has to make sure everyone knows that the M3 interior is better. Yes he does included the proviso that his comments should be considered subjective, but not before dramatically detailing the breathless response of his "large" sample of 50. The clear implication is that, as another poster put it, the MS has lost its "Halo" status.

I didn't buy my MS because of any "Halo" status. I just thought it was the best for me. It won't be for everyone but I don't feel the need to make a competition out of my preferences. I guess I just thought that we should be one big happy Tesla family supporting any and all fellow customers who share the vision of the future Tesla has so wonderfully provided for us, rather than rationalizing to all why our model choice is the better one?

Can there be problems with any given Tesla? Sure, just like any car. Will people prefer some parts of the fit or finish of one model over another? Sure, just like any car. (I personally find the interior of the M3 way too spartan and the smaller, tablet-like screen with no second screen I find provides less ease of functionality).

But I would never use such opinions of mine to in any way denigrate the other models or their owners, implicitly or explicitly. I would never want fellow Tesla owners to feel that they were unwise in choosing the model that they did just because I opted for something else. I think it is great that there are these options available so that more of our fellow drivers might find one Tesla or another more comfortable and to their liking.

Except I own a Model S (P85D for over three years) and a Model 3 (for about three months). I’ve driven a 2018 P100D. I’m offering my opinion not to make anyone feel bad but provide a perspective from a Model S.

Let me be clear: The Model S is still far superior to other brands. When I got it three years ago, it too felt like a “car from the future.” The exterior, performance, storage space, safety, and firmware upgrades are fantastic. But that was three years ago. I just happen to think the Model 3 incorporates six years of learning. Maybe my comments will help people on the fence make a more informed decision?

The best thing for Tesla is not to rest on their laurels. I personally believe they need to be faster on more significant refreshes. That’s all. I’m discussing my favorite and second favorite car here.

• Informative
Reactions: Brettski
But I think I'm pushing back on the comment that a couple of minor changes -- the addition of oak decor and a new cream color option, and a few tweaks to the option packages for the P100D is a long, long, way from saying "Tesla has abandoned the S as its Halo vehicle"

Fair question. For me, it suggests a much needed (in my opinion) interior refresh is further away. Clearly, they’re busy making the Model 3 and getting HW2.0 up to feature parity. They have a full plate.

But this is just one of several pieces that, together, might be telling this story. Or at least giving that impression. I wouldn’t go so far as “abandoned the S as it’s Halo” (not my words) so much as they’re “so busy they’re understandably giving it less attention than they should.”

I could be wrong. Maybe the Model S is just the “large sedan.” But I was under the impression the latest design cues and technology would come to the Model S first, within reason. Considering the size and price, I’d expect more innovative features than their smaller entry level vehicle.

Of course, this is probably temporary. Eventually the Model S will have to refresh. Especially when an AWD Model 3 (and possibly a performance version) come along.

So, back to this interior option: I like it but I’m still holding out for something more substantial.

I prefer the Model S interior because it's actually functional.

I've had the opposite experience, I find the Model 3 interior to be way more functional.

Navigation: It is much easier to have all the information on one screen than to look back and forth between two screens.
Screen location: The Model 3 screen is placed more in the line of vision of the driver than the MS/X screen, which requires looking down.
Vents: The vent system in the Model 3 is much better, I can actually get air to blow directly in my face... exactly where I want it.
Scroll wheel cruise and AP distance: Works better than the stick on the MS.
Screen Lag: The Model 3 screen is much faster, in comparison the MS/X screen is agonizingly slow.
Icon Menu: Is much simpler on the Model 3, no need to touch the screen to see the screen options and the
Seat adjustments: On the Model S it is hard to fit your hand between the door and the seat to adjust the seat, on the Model 3 there is plenty of room.

The only thing I miss is the scroll wheel fan speed, but I am glad to trade that for all the above. :D

Reactions: liuping and MarkS22
Navigation: It is much easier to have all the information on one screen than to look back and forth between two screens.

You can easily focus on one screen, like you have to with the 3. At least with the S you have options.

Screen location: The Model 3 screen is placed more in the line of vision of the driver than the MS/X screen, which requires looking down.

Disagree...its more aligned to the back seat than the front seat. Model S wins this one easily.

Vents: The vent system in the Model 3 is much better, I can actually get air to blow directly in my face... exactly where I want it.

You can angle the vents towards your face on the S, but as long as the overall interior temp is right I'm not sure why having air blasting your face is important, unless perhaps you are a model on a photo shoot.

Seat adjustments: On the Model S it is hard to fit your hand between the door and the seat to adjust the seat, on the Model 3 there is plenty of room.
How big is your hand? Seriously? This is not something that ever crossed my mind, but maybe I simply have puny hands

As to whether or not the S has been dethroned as a halo car for Tesla, that was a question, not a statement of fact. I wanted to know if anyone else wondered if perhaps Elon is no longer enamored with the S and so isn't pushing for any updates on it. I am almost certain there will be a substantial interior refresh, probably in about 6 months. As many others have said, they'll need something after the tax credit goes away to drive sales. Then again I think Tesla will give us a bigger battery for the S as well. So I may just be out of my mind!

Reactions: MarkS22
In our experience of driving Tesla for 4 years and taking a few road trips we have found most Tesla owners whom we have met at Superchargers to be "one big happy family". Like on a plane some owners want to talk more than others. For the most part we all share our love for our cars and the concept of EVs. We traded our older S for our 3 mainly since our 2013 lacked autopilot. Being a P85 it was darn fast though, faster than our 3 (of course I'm talking on ramp acceleration). The 3 is plenty fast enough and handles differently being a smaller, lighter car. If we had the money to burn and needed the room we would have bought a 100D Model X, but are very happy with our 3. For those waiting rest assured the 3 is worth the wait.

They are getting rid of the silver trim and making it graphite. This is what it looks like with cream/oak. Not a good look IMO.

960x480-LHD-Model_X_Cream_Oak.jpg

• Informative
They are getting rid of the silver trim and making it graphite. This is what it looks like with cream/oak.
Everyone is so distracted by the oak and graphite trim changes that they missed that Tesla also got rid of the cream-colored carpeting. I have to say that the cream carpeting, having it myself, shows new black marks every time I get in it. I started noticing that every time my girlfriend got in the car, she would hold her feet up off of the mat because she was afraid to mark them up. LOL! I eventually replaced the cream mats with black mats (which, of course, are just hiding the grime that that the cream exposed). I often thought that would it really could have used would have been a darkish brown carpeting and mats, which would have set off the figured ask very well. Anyway, now all carpeting is black, which makes Tesla's configurations easier.

I am not sure if like it or not...

I will wait to see what it looks like in real life. I just got an email saying my new P100D scheduled for late May delivery will have the new graphite trim.

I am not sure if I am happy or bummed.

I think I will like the graphite when I buy a black on black P100D later this year.

Very disappointed to see the cream carpet go. I understand it’s harder to keep clean. But it’s easy to put a set of slightly darker mats over it. You still end up with a much lighter interior overall. And now we’re right back where we were. Every Tesla MS has a black interior - only different color seats and small door inserts.

The steering wheel, steering column, upper dash, most of the door panels, seat backs, kick panels, door sills, etc - all black. All of these things need to be color coordinated, like they are in many other premium cars.

Last edited:
Actually, the mostly black interior goes quite well with the white seats. It's a great combo. I guess it's pretty rare though. A mobile service guy I talked to last week said he's serviced hundreds of them, and has only seen white seats in about a dozen cars.

I wonder how hard it would be to paint the interior silver trim or apply a wrap.... I'd love to darken my trim without stripping everything out or making it look like a crappy mod.