Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner buying a used MS questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info guys! I went to a supercharger and it charged so can i assume that FUSC is still a thing on my car ? Also, has anyone any ideas what i can do about the second fob? It looks like brand new, garage said owner just never used i and put a new battery in it but still nothing.

Oh and charged car fully to see what range it shows and went up to 225 miles. No idea if that is good or not ? It has 59000 miles

On the range quoted, I wouldn't get too concerned about the number displayed until your car has been through a few charging cycles in your hands. The number quoted is really an 'optimum' number and shouldn't really be relied upon as a guarantee. The energy chart (accessed from the 'hidden' icons at the bottom of your screen) will give you a better feel for how your consumption is going, particularly if you have a destination set in the satnav. This chart will give you a feel for what your car will have been quoted as capable of when new - Teslike.com The range will ultimately give you a feel for the state of your battery. Some prefer to use % instead of miles.

On the keyfob, I'm afraid this is a job for the service centre, which in turn means you will have to wait until your car has been added to the app as Tesla won't touch it until then. Back to waiting for the V5 and sending it plus a copy of your driving licence.

Welcome to the wacky world of Tesla!

On the range quoted, I wouldn't get too concerned about the number displayed until your car has been through a few charging cycles in your hands. The number quoted is really an 'optimum' number and shouldn't really be relied upon as a guarantee. The energy chart (accessed from the 'hidden' icons at the bottom of your screen) will give you a better feel for how your consumption is going, particularly if you have a destination set in the satnav. This chart will give you a feel for what your car will have been quoted as capable of when new - Teslike.com The range will ultimately give you a feel for the state of your battery. Some prefer to use % instead of miles.

On the keyfob, I'm afraid this is a job for the service centre, which in turn means you will have to wait until your car has been added to the app as Tesla won't touch it until then. Back to waiting for the V5 and sending it plus a copy of your driving licence.

Welcome to the wacky world of Tesla!
Awesome thank you ! Really appreciate the quick feedback !

The easy check on supercharging being free is to see if it says "no recent supercharging" in the bottom right hand corner.

Key fob is probably a Tesla thing sadly. You could try changing the battery and then holding it close to the rfid sensor thing under the arm rest to see it sparks back into life (instructions are in the manual under what to do if the key fob battery doesn't work).

The easy check on supercharging being free is to see if it says "no recent supercharging" in the bottom right hand corner.

Key fob is probably a Tesla thing sadly. You could try changing the battery and then holding it close to the rfid sensor thing under the arm rest to see it sparks back into life (instructions are in the manual under what to do if the key fob battery doesn't work).
Yeah display shows no recent supercharging... im confused though.. is that a good sign? Doesnt make sence though!
I will test the fob thing.. how long should i wait to see if it does spark to life? And how would i know?
Thanks

I've got a loaner S at the mo' and on the charging screen it shows the fee for the last top-up Enterprise had done during delivery. My own S with free charging never shows a fee. Glad you didn't have a problem
Somewhere amongst the menus is an option to update the fob while it's placed near the power socket area... Easy to check if it's worked by steeping out and locking /unlocking the car/ boot /frunk etc. If all's well then hide the other fob out of range and see if car will let you drive it

I've got a loaner S at the mo' and on the charging screen it shows the fee for the last top-up Enterprise had done during delivery. My own S with free charging never shows a fee. Glad you didn't have a problem
Somewhere amongst the menus is an option to update the fob while it's placed near the power socket area... Easy to check if it's worked by steeping out and locking /unlocking the car/ boot /frunk etc. If all's well then hide the other fob out of range and see if car will let you drive it
Thankyou . Yes found the option to update the fob. Will give that a go.

Yeah display shows no recent supercharging... im confused though.. is that a good sign? Doesnt make sence though!
I will test the fob thing.. how long should i wait to see if it does spark to life? And how would i know?
Thanks

Maybe you didn’t read the guide that was posted earlier about free supercharging - it says ‘no recent supercharging’ is one of the things you want to see for free supercharging donuts good

Maybe you didn’t read the guide that was posted earlier about free supercharging - it says ‘no recent supercharging’ is one of the things you want to see for free supercharging donuts good
Got it ! Cheers ! I sent the paperwork to the email address that someone kindly posted. I upload a photo of the new keepers slip because i know it will take weeks to get the v5 through. Am i right in thinking that the new keepers slip is enough? I know it is a legally valid document to prove new registered keeper details. The confusing thing in the UK is that the registration document v5, doesnt actually prove ownership. The quirks of UK law i guess.

Got it ! Cheers ! I sent the paperwork to the email address that someone kindly posted. I upload a photo of the new keepers slip because i know it will take weeks to get the v5 through. Am i right in thinking that the new keepers slip is enough? I know it is a legally valid document to prove new registered keeper details. The confusing thing in the UK is that the registration document v5, doesnt actually prove ownership. The quirks of UK law i guess.

No harm in trying but I wouldn't bank on it. Pretty sure they want the V5 to confirm your address as much as anything else.

No harm in trying but I wouldn't bank on it. Pretty sure they want the V5 to confirm your address as much as anything else.
I uploaded a copy of bill of sale with my name and address showing and also they require copy of driving licence which has matching address on it. Oh well, i guess i will know more over the next few days. Just a bummer i cant do anything until car is added to my account. At least I can supercharge though.

I tried 4 times with emails to register my car..... never got done. I called them up and said I was taking a long trip and wanted to make sure I had a card registered for Supercharging (even though I had free supercharging) and they flipped the account while I was on the phone.

Money talks

I tried 4 times with emails to register my car..... never got done. I called them up and said I was taking a long trip and wanted to make sure I had a card registered for Supercharging (even though I had free supercharging) and they flipped the account while I was on the phone.

Money talks
Gosh thanks for the info. I will try calling them tomorrow.

Money talks
Got the car registered to my tesla account over the phone. The friendly guy found my email i sent yesterday and within 5 mins the car appeared in the App. Great service!
Btw, from 50% onwards, even after a 20mile drive preconditioning to the supercharger, is it normal it only charges at 40kw, then slows down constantly?

Got the car registered to my tesla account over the phone. The friendly guy found my email i sent yesterday and within 5 mins the car appeared in the App. Great service!
Btw, from 50% onwards, even after a 20mile drive preconditioning to the supercharger, is it normal it only charges at 40kw, then slows down constantly?

Depends on if you are Rate locked on charging, when I bought my car I got 120Kw charging, now it maxes out at 80Kw. Its a penalty of free supercharging. Unlimited in quantity, not unlimited in speed. 250Kw on the V3 chargers, I can only dream

Well done on the registration - mine took about 3 weeks.

On the charge speed, I think you might be seeing the effect of what some refer to as 'chargegate' - see here as a starting point - Chargegate, S85 Only

Has been discussed a lot on here as it seems the S85 battery is known to have been 'throttled'.

Last edited: