Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner here. Got a question…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New owner of a 2021 model 3 with LFP and 980 motor. Its a bit of a change from my e46 M3 CSL that’s for sure.

I have a question about range. Yes I know the range is nonsense and subject massively to style of driving. I also know LFP is far more sensitive to hot/cold outside temps.

But it appears at 260wh/m since last charge, I’m barely getting 110 actual miles starting from 100%. “Miles” at 100% is 248.

I expected maybe 20% reduction for the “nonsense” factor of the EPA, and then maybe a further 20% for winter temps but less than 50% of the EPA has me somewhat confused, if not a little concerned.

Is this worth even thinking about?

Thanks!

What sort of driving have you been doing? If its lots of short journeys and you like your climate warm you'll be losing a lot of power to heating, compared to a long trip on the motorway.

Same goes with speed, if you bomb around at 80 then your efficiency will be far worse than 70.

Is that 110 miles over multiple short journeys? Because you’ll likely be losing energy every night, then on every warm up. I’m guessing so, as an average of 260wh/M isn’t great and probably indicates lots of inefficient journeys. My MYLR is averaging 225wh/m over the last 18 months and I’m easily getting that on my daily commute at these temperatures.
Is 110 100% to 0%?
I had an LFP M3 and in winter it did only manage a real world 160odd miles. But in summer I’d see less than 200wh/m and an easy 250+ range.

It's pretty hard to say based on limited information, 260 is pretty high for a RWD Model 3, but I suggest you ought to do more of a variety of driving before deciding that it's odd. The energy app in the car might give you some more useful information on what's effecting your range. 22 sounds positively tropical to me, stick the seats on auto.

For comparison I drove 175 miles down the M4 in a LR and did about 230 Wh/mile on Sunday.

Hi all,

New owner of a 2021 model 3 with LFP and 980 motor. Its a bit of a change from my e46 M3 CSL that’s for sure.

I have a question about range. Yes I know the range is nonsense and subject massively to style of driving. I also know LFP is far more sensitive to hot/cold outside temps.

But it appears at 260wh/m since last charge, I’m barely getting 110 actual miles starting from 100%. “Miles” at 100% is 248.

I expected maybe 20% reduction for the “nonsense” factor of the EPA, and then maybe a further 20% for winter temps but less than 50% of the EPA has me somewhat confused, if not a little concerned.

Is this worth even thinking about?

Thanks!
Something doesn’t add up here… if pack is 60kWh then 260Wh gives about 230 miles…

I had an original SR+ and on sub zero London short driving from 80-20% i was getting 100miles, i switched to a revamped LR.

You must be using more like 500wh/m to get 100 in a LFP with heat pump and current weather. Its either broken or your calculating something incorrectly

I realised about sentry mode and it’s now off. I charge when needed currently as waiting for a charger install.

It’s the figures that don’t seem right, which is what my original point was… the whpm seems to suggest I should be getting more but not.

I’ve charged it to full at least once a week to balance BMS.

Is that 110 miles over multiple short journeys? Because you’ll likely be losing energy every night, then on every warm up. I’m guessing so, as an average of 260wh/M isn’t great and probably indicates lots of inefficient journeys. My MYLR is averaging 225wh/m over the last 18 months and I’m easily getting that on my daily commute at these temperatures.
Is 110 100% to 0%?
I had an LFP M3 and in winter it did only manage a real world 160odd miles. But in summer I’d see less than 200wh/m and an easy 250+ range.
WOW! I must have an extremely heavy foot.
I’m averaging around 260-270 wh/m in this weather. My best being around 240!

I’m on 23k miles and my overall is 289 wh/m although a lot of that is motorway journeys.

I realised about sentry mode and it’s now off. I charge when needed currently as waiting for a charger install.

It’s the figures that don’t seem right, which is what my original point was… the whpm seems to suggest I should be getting more but not.

Sentry will be what was doing this considering your not charging all the time. Hopefully be much better now.

The wh/m only measures your journeys, not any usage/drain whilst parked. So using wh/m to calculate battery capacity only really works if you do one long journey. It sounds to me like you’ve been losing power in between lots of short, inefficient journeys. This would make it appear like your car has a short range.
Have you done a longer journey in it yet?