Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner...home charging necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more point: You say your house needs electrical work. Depending on the type of work it needs, charging at 240v may be problematic. For instance, if you've got ancient 50-amp service, charging a car at, say, 32 amps, might make it impossible to use other high-draw appliances like an electric range, dryer, or air conditioner without tripping the main circuit breaker. If wiring leading to the breaker panel is old and frayed, I'd want to get that fixed ASAP, and certainly before putting in any new high-draw appliances. A qualified local electrician will be able to give you better advice than you'll get from strangers on the Internet who've never seen your house, so I strongly suggest you hire one for a consultation, at the least.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not that bad off. The house is new, it's just that with my new solar installation, my breaker box is full. I'll either need to double up or bump up capacity. Nothing catastrophic....just need some planning.

If you have the load capacity in your panel for a 60 amp breaker / 48 amp circuit, have your electrician run wire that can support the HPWC, then just downgrade the breaker to 50 amps for your plug. That way when you're ready for the HPWC, it's just a breaker swap and replacing the plug with the HPWC without pulling new wire again. Would allow you to get the full charge rate from the HPWC whenever you're ready for it without having to pull new wire.

Not that you were asking for opinions on this... :D

Now...that's a solid idea. Thanks.

Reactions: destructure00
I'm taking delivery of my AWD Model 3 on Saturday, but I'm not getting the home charger right away (house needs some electrical work first). There are charging options at work, and around town, but I would really feel more comfortable if I could plug in at home.

I was wondering if anyone else did not get the home charging setup right away (or at all). What was your experience like? Was it a pain, or did you not even notice?
Home charging to me is one of the largest benefits of having an EV. So I highly recommend you install a NEMA 14-50. Usually not too expensive and it is very flexible. You can easily and cheaply use your mobile connector.

Nema plug should be on a 50amp circuit...
Not sure if this is really accurate... there are a wide variety of NEMA plugs, some need to be on 15A (e.g. 5-15) and some need to be on 60A (e.g. 14-60). The wire size and socket type dictates the breaker. Then in turn, the breaker size dictates max current draw of a device plugged in. Therefore, even the 2nd gen UMC could theoretically plug into a 60A outlet if there was an appropriate adapter made for it since it draws less than 60A (or 48A if you’re talking about continuous load)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
had the NEMA plug installed in the garage. 60Amp circuit.
Nema plug should be on a 50amp circuit...
there are a wide variety of NEMA plugs,
Absolutely this!
This is a case where it's important to know how to user proper terminology. The word "NEMA" isn't a name for a specific outlet. It's like the word "metric". It's a name for an entire system of naming. So you wouldn't ask, "How many metrics is it from Portland to Seattle?" You can't answer that. You would need to specify kilometers or meters or what specific unit you are asking about.
In the same way, we can't tell whether your outlet on a 60A circuit is proper or not because you just called it a "NEMA", which doesn't identify it. That could be a 14-30, 14-50, 14-60, 6-30, 6-50, TT-30, L6-30, 5-20, or any of another dozen types.

OOooooooh, I get it! You haven't let the wife DRIVE it yet!!!

Solution: let her drive it. She will love it and be fine with wall charger! ... and then she'll want her OWN!

My wife is still afraid of it and could care less. She has driven it numerous times but not alone yet.

But I know the look he is referring to. ;)

He should have listed that as one of the constraints. I would have agreed immediately.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not that bad off. The house is new, it's just that with my new solar installation, my breaker box is full. I'll either need to double up or bump up capacity. Nothing catastrophic....just need some planning.

If it's a new house, it's highly unlikely "full". It may have a lot of slots filled but very unlikely at capacity. If it's new, it's likely 200 Amp.
Newer installs tend to have a lot of more lightly loaded/more dedicated circuits.

Like you said you might have to double up a couple slots.

But you don't need 50A either. I'd say 99% of folks could comfortably get away with 20A-30A 240V.
I run 30A 240V myself on an A/B switch with a Garage heater. Because my panel is only 100A.

Absolutely this!
This is a case where it's important to know how to user proper terminology. The word "NEMA" isn't a name for a specific outlet. It's like the word "metric". It's a name for an entire system of naming. So you wouldn't ask, "How many metrics is it from Portland to Seattle?" You can't answer that. You would need to specify kilometers or meters or what specific unit you are asking about.
In the same way, we can't tell whether your outlet on a 60A circuit is proper or not because you just called it a "NEMA", which doesn't identify it. That could be a 14-30, 14-50, 14-60, 6-30, 6-50, TT-30, L6-30, 5-20, or any of another dozen types.

While technically correct, it's a bit of a reach to say he's got a 14-60 and is properly using it as Tesla doesn't make a 14-60 adapter.

But I digress, I should have said assuming your NEMA recepticle is a 14-50 it should be on a 50a breaker.