Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner supercharging first day without app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, so I am picking up a used 2017 Model S 75. It's 4 hours away from my home. My question is I am reading online that if I want supercharge on the way home which I will need to, I have to be linked as the owner in the Tesla app with the vehicle. However, everything I'm reading says it takes 3 to 5 business days for the ownership to actually be adjusted within the Tesla app after you provide proof of new ownership. Does anybody know if there's anything I can do with the seller as I'm picking up the car to make this happen immediately where I am connected as new owner with my payment method in the app? or if I can't use the Tesla superchargers on the way home are there other chargers you would recommend that I use that I can just pay with a normal debit card? I am brand new to this, so just wanna make sure I can charge on the way home after pick up the car because it is a 4 Hour Drive. I'm driving from Tampa Florida to Jacksonville, fl

Hello, so I am picking up a used 2017 Model S 75. It's 4 hours away from my home. My question is I am reading online that if I want supercharge on the way home which I will need to, I have to be linked as the owner in the Tesla app with the vehicle. However, everything I'm reading says it takes 3 to 5 business days for the ownership to actually be adjusted within the Tesla app after you provide proof of new ownership. Does anybody know if there's anything I can do with the seller as I'm picking up the car to make this happen immediately where I am connected as new owner with my payment method in the app? or if I can't use the Tesla superchargers on the way home are there other chargers you would recommend that I use that I can just pay with a normal debit card? I am brand new to this, so just wanna make sure I can charge on the way home after pick up the car because it is a 4 Hour Drive. I'm driving from Tampa Florida to Jacksonville, fl
Make sure the seller includes the charger, especially the J1772, so you can use a public charger if Supercharging doesn’t work out.
Another option, have the current owner keep the car on his account until you get home, then do the transfer.

Reactions: Bull
However, everything I'm reading says it takes 3 to 5 business days for the ownership to actually be adjusted within the Tesla app after you provide proof of new ownership.
Well, that's kind of listing the worst case, because they don't want to be bombarded with complaint calls if it takes 2 days or 3 days. I've seen many reports of it sometimes being completed same day, but sometimes it doesn't.

Another option, have the current owner keep the car on his account until you get home, then do the transfer.
Yeah, I mean that's a way to make sure you can get home, and then if it takes a few days after that for the transferring process to go through, it would be fine.

If the seller has access to the car via their own app, they can transfer it to you instantaneously.

The multi-day thing is only if you have to send paperwork into Tesla to prove ownership (like when buying from a dealer who themselves don’t have app access to the car).

If the seller has access to the car via their own app, they can transfer it to you instantaneously.

The multi-day thing is only if you have to send paperwork into Tesla to prove ownership (like when buying from a dealer who themselves don’t have app access to the car).
Oh ok that is great! I went by Tesla today and they even said I have to email change of ownership NA Tesla and send the info which takes a few business days. So I am really hoping we can just do the transfer ownership via the app in person and I am good to go

....went by Tesla today and they even said I have to email change of ownership NA Tesla and send the info which takes a few business days.
another proof to never trust employees lol
all u do is upload photos of ur license/registration (or title or bill of sale) in the app n u get car added later
So I am really hoping we can just do the transfer ownership via the app in person and I am good to go
just make sure seller types ur email correct
otherwise you'll be stuck with long process

Reactions: Johnny Rumbach
Oh ok that is great! I went by Tesla today and they even said I have to email change of ownership NA Tesla and send the info which takes a few business days. So I am really hoping we can just do the transfer ownership via the app in person and I am good to go
I sold my Model S privately late last year. When we met to hand over the keys I clicked "remove or transfer ownership" in the app, entered the email address of the buyer's Tesla account, and voila. They got an email in 30 seconds and were able to add the car to their account right there in the parking lot.

All the previous info is great, Id just add to download the Plugshare app, that'll show non-Tesla chargers as well as Tesla.

The standard for non-Teslas is J1772 for AC charging, i.e. Slow charging like at home, and CCS1 for DC Fast Charging which is similar to the Superchargers but I think generally slower due to lower kWh rates.

Not sure what your S75 is capable of but probably 100kWh? I have a couple of friends with Chevy Bolts that charge at 50kWh.

Also be aware that CCS1 is a modified plug that will need an adapter. The S75 will hopefully come with a J1772 to NACS (Tesla) adapter. J1772 is a round plug a little larger than the NACS but only does AC charging, so for DC the CCS has two additional connections in a horizontal oval plug below the J1772 top part. It's a big ugly plug and a big ugly adapter but it gets the job done.

The Plugshare app will show both Tesla and non-Tesla charging stations and what types of plugs they have and the quantity and speed.

J1772 level-2 charging rates at these "destination chargers" tend to run from 5-10kWh so a small fraction of the speed of SuCs or DC Fast Chargers, so would take hours to get a significant charge vs DC charging.

All the more important to get the SuC transferred! Good luck!

Reactions: Johnny Rumbach
You actually just take pics of the paperwork and load them into the app - I don’t recall if it was an actual email or not but it goes to someone at Tesla who “approves” it and then it shows in your account. If I figured it out it has to be super easy. 😜