Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner with Questions 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
230 miles at 80% ?
That's higher than when new. How?

Probably due to my driving habit. I drive through rural Southwestern Michigan to work 5 days a week. No highways, 55 mph two lane road with very little stop/start along the way. Many times I'm behind slower traffic. And, I'm a bit older, my days of smokey burnouts from stop are mostly behind me.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.08.06 PM.png

Looking at the screen shot, it might be 90% - it doesn't list any percentage when I set the limit in the car.

I went ahead and ordered some bits. Got brighter interior and license plate lights, frunk cargo nets, the center console organizer, some tesla tire stem caps, key fob case, and screen protector.

I'd really like to get some ultra light wheels and pilot super sports at some point as well.

What exactly is my paint protection package?

I know it's a clear film on the paint but is there any way for me to know exactly where? I think I saw some on the rear bumper. I don't want to try polishing the car and not know where that stuff is though. Is it okay to just remove it all as well?

What exactly is my paint protection package?

I know it's a clear film on the paint but is there any way for me to know exactly where? I think I saw some on the rear bumper. I don't want to try polishing the car and not know where that stuff is though. Is it okay to just remove it all as well?
I believe the "Paint Armor" was only on the hood. If you look at the hood from an angle, you should see a film edge about half way up the hood.

In the future, can my 85kw battery be upgraded to a larger unit?

I've only heard one one owner doing a hardware upgrade and it was very expensive. We'll see in the future but basically the answer is "no" for now.

Yes - anything can be done for the right price. Someone recently bought a salvage P100D at auction for $45k. You could take the battery out of there and install in yours.

Well, my thinking is that eventually the battery will degrade, or if it needs replacing under warranty and it may be cheaper for them to put a 90 or 100 in there instead of a 85 because they don't make them anymore.

Today was the first time my battery got low. With about 50 miles of range left in the battery I noticed the power output was much lower than when full. Maybe 40% less power. I'm surprised!

Well, my thinking is that eventually the battery will degrade, or if it needs replacing under warranty and it may be cheaper for them to put a 90 or 100 in there instead of a 85 because they don't make them anymore.

They would just rebuild the pack - the Khw is just the number of packs and cells they put into it. They can make any size battery bellow what they are currently producing today.

or if it needs replacing under warranty and it may be cheaper for them to put a 90 or 100 in there instead of a 85 because they don't make them anymore.

Two things. First, they just might put a 90 or 100kWh battery in your car, but I'd guess they would software limit it to 85kWh and offer you to upgrade for some $ amount. In fact, you'd probably want a software limited 85kWh battery which means you can range charge without worrying about battery degradation.

Also, my service center has told me that they likely won't affect changes that are encoded in the VIN.. so your VIN says 85kWh, they probably wouldn't give you a larger battery. Yes, I know that already happens with the 60kWh Range Upgrades to 75kWh... I'm just saying what they told me.

I see. So even though they don't offer an 85kw model any more, they'd likely still produce the battery as replacement/refurbs for cases like mine.

Do you think it'll be possible to purchase an upgraded battery at some point? For example, in 4 years when my battery warranty runs out. I like the idea of trading in my battery pack for a steep discount on whatever will fit in 4 years; maybe a 150kw pack?

Yes, Elon Musk said a few years ago that battery upgrades will happen in the future. But who knows when/if that will happen.

Also, it makes more sense for Tesla to force you to trade-in/upgrade to a new car than cannibalize their new car sales with battery upgrades.

I'd love to see an 85->100kWh upgrade pack.

There would have to be a very steep trade in value for my current car to consider that. Actually, I'm hoping that there is a Model S sized coupe at some point. The small front seats, high belt line, small front doors, and forward B pillar are a bit uncomfortable for me.