Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners: What was your last car? How much more was the MS than that car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2010 Honda Fit. I thought I'd have it for a year or two and then buy an electric, but there wasn't anything available that would work for me until the Model S came along. I knew it was the right car. I needed something big enough to fit my music equipment, too (the Fit, btw can fit a lot of gear). The Fit was fun to drive, before the S.
+$65k

Just traded a 2014 Audi RS7 for a fully loaded 90D. Debated the P90D but after tons of reaching and driving the 85D and P85D back-to-back I just didn't see the extra 20/30k worth it. I paid roughly +$10k over the RS7 trade value after tax rebates. :)

2012 Chevy Volt, loaded, $42K. I really liked the Volt in EV mode. But I hated the gas engine when it came on. And my daily commute of about 50 miles meant I got to hear it every day. Bought my Tesla Model S P85 on Mar. 29, 2014 for $114,500. It was surreal. $72,500 difference! $72,500 is a lot of money for me, but I just happened to have bought Tesla stock in Feb., 2013 at $37/sh. By March of 2014 it was in the $250's. Tesla stock easily paid for my Model S. I would never pay this much money for a gas car. But the Volt got me hooked on electric drive and torque. And the Tesla is EV nirvana. Plus, it's fun to beat the living crap out of just about everything else on the road! I was getting old until I bought this car. Now, I feel young again. Woohoo!!!

2012 Chevy Volt, loaded, $42K. I really liked the Volt in EV mode. But I hated the gas engine when it came on. And my daily commute of about 50 miles meant I got to hear it every day. Bought my Tesla Model S P85 on Mar. 29, 2014 for $114,500. It was surreal. $72,500 difference! $72,500 is a lot of money for me, but I just happened to have bought Tesla stock in Feb., 2013 at $37/sh. By March of 2014 it was in the $250's. Tesla stock easily paid for my Model S. I would never pay this much money for a gas car. But the Volt got me hooked on electric drive and torque. And the Tesla is EV nirvana. Plus, it's fun to beat the living crap out of just about everything else on the road! I was getting old until I bought this car. Now, I feel young again. Woohoo!!!

I love everything about this post!! :)

Last car was a Prius V purchased in 2013 for 30K. My wife wanted a moon roof that could be opened but the Prius' roof could not. So I added an extra $2500 to install a small Webasto aftermarket roof that could be opened. What a waste that was because not only did the Model S provide me with everything I always wanted in a car (extreme efficiency paired with total power, sleek and timeless design, simple interior with no buttons, power lift gate and jump seats for kids, and lots of cargo space) it also came with this huge roof that as an extra was about the same as the tiny aftermarket roof I had installed. So we dumped the Toyota (still getting emails from the dealer which I cannot stop) and bought a MS 85 at 89K (after federal and state rebates). Sold the Prius for 22K and hence paid 67K more. I had a rule never to spend more than 40K on a car! Felt it was a waste off resources. Now I will never go back. Two years of Tesla EV Nirvana and the next car will either be a 85D or the Model X.