Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P100DL makes xxx HP at the battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to what I can find looking at the BMS, the current limit in 100 packs is 1750A. It's about 1500A for a Ludicrous 85 and early 90, and 1600A for the newer 90's. The older non-ludicrous 85's were 1300A.
Is this from service documentation, or are you looking at firmware? What are these limits? Are they what the pyro-fuse is set to or just an upper limit on what the cells should be subjected to?

The figures I mentioned are what the BMS limits the current draw to. It does this by publishing a current limit message on the CAN bus to the inverter(s). I don't yet know what the active fuse trigger point is, but it's obviously over the CAN limits. The new fuse design has a current shunt and it looks to me like it's set up so once the current exceeds the set level it instantly trips. (versus a time delay or thermal component like traditional fuses have)

The higher current limits in the newer packs were also achieved by doubling up the little bond wires that connect the 18650 cells to their buses.

The higher current limits in the newer packs were also achieved by doubling up the little bond wires that connect the 18650 cells to their buses.

This also helps with the voltage sag.

You have access to a p100d?

Clearly, it's not just this broadcast limit that controls the amount of current the inverters use. If ludicrous mode isn't enabled, they don't pull the full current. Or does the bms broadcast a different current limit for non-ludicrous mode?

It would be great if you would provide the ID of this can frame.

Last edited:
I'm not going to answer every question, but I'll share as much as I can.

BTW, here's what the active hybrid fuse looks like (revision 1):
pic