Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P3D vs Demo P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a similar-ish situation and was curious peoples' thoughts. These are my options:

• P100D (this does *not* include ludi/ludi+). 3.6k miles (considered new by dealer). They'll touch up all of the paint and interior and have promised it'll feel brand new. Warranty starts at whatever miles I get it at.
  • P3D (probably just buy direct).

Price difference pre-tax is like 22k and after tax like 23-24. What would ya'll do? The demo model is quoted as 16k off.

What are the exact prices for both cars? They are both eligible for the tax credit, which will likely pay for most of the sales tax.

If the price difference is around $20K, I would definitely say get the P100D, if you can manage it.

That is a tremendous value you are getting for the extra $20K.

Last edited:
Turn out to be a scam.... The third party dealer told me deal no longer available... Right after I mentioned about putting down the deposit. Should have seen this coming...
Glad you got out of that. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Tesla from anyone but Tesla Inc, or maybe a verified private party. Dealers always seem to have Teslas with an accident reported on the car fax.

I'm in a similar-ish situation and was curious peoples' thoughts. These are my options:
  • P100D (this does *not* include ludi/ludi+). 3.6k miles (considered new by dealer). They'll touch up all of the paint and interior and have promised it'll feel brand new. Warranty starts at whatever miles I get it at.
  • P3D (probably just buy direct).
Price difference pre-tax is like 22k and after tax like 23-24. What would ya'll do? The demo model is quoted as 16k off.

They are totally different cars. Once you drive it, you will probably know which one you like more.

That said, I just bought a demo P100D during the fire sale for $80k to replace our 2016 S 60. Picking up this Saturday. That would make it about $10k more than a similar P3D with AP and FSD.

Our other car is an early VIN Model 3 LR RWD we bought about 15 months ago. There were no test drive cars available and we bought it without ever seeing one in real life. Not doing that ever again. I just don't like it for many reasons and my partner who drives the car everyday agrees that we were probably too hasty.

Not only are the controls different, the drive is like comparing a C-Class to an E-Class, or 3 series to 5 series. They are in the same family, but have very different feel.

Reactions: Vitaman
P100D

1. Cheaper
2. Faster
3. Better Looking
4. Higher end
5. The throttle curve is so much better on the P100D than the P3D no comparison. I drove the P3D and it's really not to my liking.
6. I've driven my P100D hard on curves and it's hard to get that traction control to kick on. Gets a little scary the lateral Gs you can pull, it handles amazingly. I've been able to get the back end to lose grip and when it grabs it launches. It's a monster. Just don't let 5,000lbs get away from you!

Absolutely not. My P100D with light forged wheels and much wider tires still handles like a slug. I haven't driven the 3PD but I'm sure it could easily out corner my P100D. Definitely should not ever be driven hard into a corner.... I track this car the odd time too. It's a slug compared to allot of other vehicles.

You'll be left behind with the old MCU. Do not expect any future features or even updates.

Meh... I've had both. The new one is nice but it's not life changing. I would take the P100D in a heartbeat. The 3 is a nice car, but the S is a lot nicer. And if you've got a new family you definitely want the space. It's amazing how much baggage these little critters require. :)

Do any of you guys see a massive difference between the 3's battery cells and motor or is the real world difference not much?

It all boils down to range. The P100D has slightly longer range than the P3D, and so I don't see a negative at all. The P3D does have this "track mode" - which is worth something if you intend to track it I suppose.

Certainly for my purposes it would be irrelevant. When I had my P85D, the primary benefit of "insane mode" was to scare the snot out of unsuspecting passengers, and to blow the doors off of the odd hotshot with a souped up Camaro at a traffic light. Tracking was never really a concern.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. My P100D with light forged wheels and much wider tires still handles like a slug. I haven't driven the 3PD but I'm sure it could easily out corner my P100D. Definitely should not ever be driven hard into a corner.... I track this car the odd time too. It's a slug compared to allot of other vehicles.

It's all relative. :) My P85D, and even now my 100D could take curves like no other vehicle I had ever driven. Most people will be thrilled with how a P100D handles. I know that "true enthusiasts" won't feel that way of course. :)

Reactions: Vitaman
i like going 0-70mph then back to 0... stop sign to stop sign. \
My Chiro also enjoys it that i visit him every other day for neck pain.... (sarcasm)

Hah...not funny when I actually had to trade down my P100D for a 100D in keeping with said Chiro’s advice! My neck took a beating with that P! I’m still recovering lol.

If you go into the settings you can turn off chill mode. Try that first, it’s likely your problem. :p

I love my Performance Model 3 - 0-60 3.2 sec Top Speed 162 mph
Model S with Ludicrous 0-60 2.4 sec Top Speed only 155 mph

By the time you get the Model S into Ludicrous mode the Performance Model 3 is long gone and can do it over and over again with no set up. The Model S cannot do Ludicrous over and over again without heating up and disabling the feature. It's a one trick pony.

By the time you get the Model S into Ludicrous mode the Performance Model 3 is long gone and can do it over and over again with no set up. The Model S cannot do Ludicrous over and over again without heating up and disabling the feature. It's a one trick pony.

Depending on the temp outside. Sometimes the batteries only take 10 minutes to heat up. They stay heated until you turn the vehicle off. Even then the batteries stay heated for hours with no issues of having max battery power. Regardless even without ludicrous mode... the P100D would dummy the model 3 performance in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA

Errr have you driven one? Ludicrous works just fine all day long. 0-100kmh in 2.5 seconds time after time. I never take it out of Ludi so the setup time is 0. Ludicrous plus on the other hand might be what you are referring to and yes for optimal performance (2.3 or 2.4s) you are advised to wait for it to warm up, but that's never been as bad as advertised and you get most of the performance boost without the wait.

I've never actually got to the top speed, I think 130 was the highest I got to (123 at the end of the 1/4 mile drag race plus a bit after) and would have ran out of road if I hadn't eased off. We've been promised (Elon twitter promise so might not be certain) an update to match the top speed, but it is almost certain that thermal limitations will prevent us holding onto that top speed for as long as a 3 can, I will concede that one to the 3!

Depending on the temp outside. Sometimes the batteries only take 10 minutes to heat up. They stay heated until you turn the vehicle off. Even then the batteries stay heated for hours with no issues of having max battery power. Regardless even without ludicrous mode... the P100D would dummy the model 3 performance in the 1/4 mile.

Performance Model 3 1/4 Mile 11.77
P100D. 1/4 Mile 11.39

I wouldn't call that "dummy" the Performance model 3

My P100D with light forged wheels and much wider tires still handles like a slug. I haven't driven the 3PD but I'm sure it could easily out corner my P100D.
I can't speak to the impact of your mods but can say with 100% certainty that the cornering experience (due to both hardware and firmware) on the stock M3P is significantly better than the SP100D. At least for this driver. And that's before even toggling the Track Mode feature one.