Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any love?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they can do it for free for us P85D owners as we already paid for it but didn't get it upon delivery.

That would be appropriate given the original listing of 691 combined hp, then drastically under producing. At least it is offered at a discounted rate to current owners. Still disappointing it will cost new owners $13,000 more to reach the claimed combined power.

Edit: Not trying to sound like a Debby Downer, I am excited about the new performance numbers.

Last edited:
Perhaps they can do it for free for us P85D owners as we already paid for it but didn't get it upon delivery.
As discussed, it's likely we won't see 691hp even on the P90D. That said, it would be a nice move on Tesla's part to own up to the "problematic phrasing" of the P85D marketing by making the upgrade cost $3k (battery) + labor and eating the fuse upgrade (etc.) as "goodwill" under the umbrella of service. As for the cost of the "labor" for the battery swap, they originally described "a tank of gas" so $100 labor seems like more than enough. That brings the price to $3,100. Do I think they'll do it for that price? No. But I would love to see it come in at $5,000 or less total for the P85D_Insane -> P90D_Ludicrous upgrade at least for P85D cars configured before* the announcement.

* +/- a week, salt to taste, etc.

Here is the new summary for a loaded P90D ... under $145K, a relative bargain compared to other high performance supercars.

New $144,500.JPG

Here is the new summary for a loaded P90D ... under $145K, a relative bargain compared to other high performance supercars.
If you're looking for a track car, you can get out the door with a P90D for as low as $119,200 (incl D&RDF). That's a more compelling statement IMO.

Looking here...

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The closest three in pricing are more carts than cars:
  • ~$160,000 Ariel Atom 500 V8
  • ? Caterham 7 620 R
  • ~$130,000 BAC MONO

Last edited:
That would be appropriate given the original listing of 691 combined hp, then drastically under producing. At least it is offered at a discounted rate. Still disappointing it will cost new owners $13,000 more to reach the claimed combined power.

Edit: Not trying to sound like a Debby Downer, I am excited about the new performance numbers.

I didn't read $13K anywhere into that at all. All I want is what I paid for which DOESN'T mean ludicrous. I don't need 0-60 in 2.8. I want better passing power from 50-90. The larger battery will produce more peak power even if it limits the power to what we have now to maintain the 3.1 second 0-60 which I'm just fine with.

That said, I didn't read anywhere that it would cost $13K to upgrade to ludicrous mode for existing P85D owners.

I was referring to new P85(90)D owners, it will cost them $13,000 to reach (or get close to) the original combine hp listing. I edited my original post for clarity. I completely agree that a midrange power improvement is more useful than a 0-60 upgrade. The 20% improvement claim of 0-155 may be the most important stat listed today.

I am very suspicious of the new claim of a 71 hp improvement over the P85D. I wonder, in 6-12 months will it be discovered that the P90D 'only' produces 600 hp, and it will get a battery and fuse upgrade?

Last edited:
I just ran a quick order through. The BASE P85D price has dropped to $87500 from $97500 which I paid last month. The $10k "upgrade" for ludicrous mode brings the cost back to what I paid. The ludicrous mode upgrade requires a battery pack range upgrade of $3k.

So I'm thinking I pay $3K and I'm good to get ludicrous mode.

Or $5k or whatever he said is required for a new battery pack. I was just pointing out that it wasn't a $13K upgrade over the price I paid last month. I think this will be available for $5k to me.

My sales rep did point out that it was rumored I would eventually get a firmware upgrade to 2.8, but I've had 2 other sales reps lie to me just today alone at work (other industries)! No big deal.

I just ran a quick order through. The BASE P85D price has dropped to $87500 from $97500 which I paid last month. The $10k "upgrade" for ludicrous mode brings the cost back to what I paid. The ludicrous mode upgrade requires a battery pack range upgrade of $3k.

So I'm thinking I pay $3K and I'm good to get ludicrous mode.

?? Base price for P85D shows as $105k for me. I don't know where you are getting your numbers from.

The BASE P85D price has dropped to $87500 from $97500 which I paid last month.
?? Base price for P85D shows as $105k for me. I don't know where you are getting your numbers from.
He's looking at the top number ("After Incentives & Gas Savings") rather than the bottom number ("Cash Price"). Yah, it sucks that they still haven't made the website better (swap the number positions).