Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Panoramic Roof - Good news/bad news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My $.02. It looks like both the old and new pano style are being produced interchangeably. For those deliveries in the past month with the old and new style, perhaps they were produced in different facilities, ie Palo Alto or Fremont?

I am new to all of this (expecting delivery in the next couple of weeks), but the wiki notes that the 11th digit of the VIN is either F or P, depending on location of production. Are there cars being produced in Palo Alto currently?

My $.02. It looks like both the old and new pano style are being produced interchangeably. For those deliveries in the past month with the old and new style, perhaps they were produced in different facilities, ie Palo Alto or Fremont?

I am new to all of this (expecting delivery in the next couple of weeks), but the wiki notes that the 11th digit of the VIN is either F or P, depending on location of production. Are there cars being produced in Palo Alto currently?
Palo Alto was just for the Roadster. Tesla currently builds all cars at their Fremont plant.

I completely missed this change back in July. Looks great. The original Pano roof is OK, but pretty clunky. Mine shimmies and stutters its way open, even after receiving maybe 3 or 4 proactive fixes for things over the years. I know they've had tons of minor revisions, and it's good news to see that it got a full redesign... it seems to have needed one.

As a bonus the little mounting flaps seem to be less likely to pop up/off during blow drying. Breaking those doors on the older cars used to be a pretty expensive fix (and may still be).

So I just noticed my week old P85D has a panel that is not sitting flush on the roof. It is the front panel nearest to the windshield. I stopped by the service center and was told my car is one of the early one's to receive a completely different panoramic roof design. It is supposed to improve creakiness and windnoise.

Good news is there is really no wind noise on the highway. This appears to be an improvement based on what I read here.
Bad news is this new design obviously has a few bugs to work out. The corner is popped up and looks like it needs to be reseated. The service center wasn't sure how to fix since it is so new and I will need to take back next week.
I got p90D red delivered Aug 28 Vin 098---.
Has exactly same problem. Took it back to villa park SC IL. I have been told since then on weekly basis that this panel needs to be replaced and I should have it in a week. Long behold I went myself to service center on 10/30. After some long inquiry I was informed that this is new part and there is no definite date of delivery from warehouse. It could take few months. Tesla is currently making parts for new orders only.
I understand issue with parts but for a car of this value it's really unfortunate decision to ramp up supply without replacement parts. With this kind of panel it should never be out of final inspection with out getting fixed. I left service center little frustrated. no wonder consumer report had to come out with new review.

I got p90D red delivered Aug 28 Vin 098---.
Has exactly same problem. Took it back to villa park SC IL. I have been told since then on weekly basis that this panel needs to be replaced and I should have it in a week. Long behold I went myself to service center on 10/30. After some long inquiry I was informed that this is new part and there is no definite date of delivery from warehouse. It could take few months. Tesla is currently making parts for new orders only.
I understand issue with parts but for a car of this value it's really unfortunate decision to ramp up supply without replacement parts. With this kind of panel it should never be out of final inspection with out getting fixed. I left service center little frustrated. no wonder consumer report had to come out with new review.

I just looked closer at my Aug 2015 delivered 85D with pano (VIN 0980xx) and my roof pieces look nicely flushed. I don't notice any sounds and the wind noise is minimal.

My problem is I just got the Whispbar, but there's not a new attachment kit.
At the service center they were equally surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

the whispbars are adjustable as to width. So there should be no issue there. The mounting kit may or may not be different. Looking at the photos I don't think so.

I can confirm that a new mounting kit is needed. Just hit that at the Santa Barbara service center.

Here are a couple pics of the roof. Not sure if it will be clear enough to see any differences.
Seems like my glass is more reflective (blue) than others I have seen. Also my rear defroster strips seem very prominent orange now that I tinted the rear glass (not pictured here). More than other cars I've seen. Not sure if any changes were made there as well.
Have to say the level of service and responsiveness is far above any other automaker I've dealt with. Most high end brands I've owned treat you like they are doing you a favor rather than caring about your experience.
View attachment 86216View attachment 86217View attachment 86218

Can you confirm the old whispbar mounting kit can be used on the new style sunroof?

Can you confirm the old whispbar mounting kit can be used on the new style sunroof?

No.

For my Aug 2015 85D (new pano) when the Santa Barbara service center tried to install the Whispbar Flush Bar using the old mounting kit, it didn't work. In particular there's one screw that's the wrong size.

However, what they discovered (after I had left) in talking to Palo Alto design center, is that the Whispbar that they sell actually does include the new mounting kit that should work with my car. Once I get the part and install I will be able to confirm that it works.

Hi,

In Belgium we had a Tesla colleague that has broken the glass of his panoramic roof after mounting a Thule roof rack.
After opening the roof more than 55% it broke the glass.
There's not much info about it... except a small image in the manual without explanation.

Schermafbeelding 2016-06-21 om 15.49.37.png

I'm wondering if the NEW panoramic roof is actually the reason why this happens.
Do we have people with a NEW roof using whispbars? Are you still able to open the panoramic roof?

br,
Christian

Hi,

In Belgium we had a Tesla colleague that has broken the glass of his panoramic roof after mounting a Thule roof rack.
After opening the roof more than 55% it broke the glass.
There's not much info about it... except a small image in the manual without explanation.

View attachment 182095

I'm wondering if the NEW panoramic roof is actually the reason why this happens.
Do we have people with a NEW roof using whispbars? Are you still able to open the panoramic roof?

br,
Christian

It opens all the way, I have the whispbar setup. But I also had the same bar on the old style sunroof and that opened all the way too.

Food for thought, there are the rubber foot bases that come with the rack and there is another set that comes with the mount kit. You need to use the taller ones that come with the mount kit. I can see damage being done if you use the shorter ones.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply it was done with the Thule sets.
Thule reported that it is a known limitation that the roof can not be used anymore.
"Works as designed"

I also received information from Tesla parts that the Whispbar has no issues with opening the roof.
Beginning next week I'll have a new set.

Greetings from rainy Belgium,

br
Christian