Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New power wall 2 install - Internet connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I mentioned, they couldn't fit the end of the Ethernet cable through the hole into the backup gateway on mine. Just FYI. Not sure if it's a real problem or not.

Interesting. Does the gateway just have an RJ-45 plug on it that I could attach the cable to after they installers leave, or is the box sealed and it's required that they do it?

Interesting. Does the gateway just have an RJ-45 plug on it that I could attach the cable to after they installers leave, or is the box sealed and it's required that they do it?

Yes, there is an RJ-45 port on the Gateway. Just plug in the cable and go.

I had the installers run about 50' of 3/4" conduit from the Gateway to my router, as I has requested that in my contract, and they did it without question. I also have the WiFi enabled (to a different router) and the cellular. All three are active and available in case one or more goes down.

Reactions: PBBear
As I mentioned, they couldn't fit the end of the Ethernet cable through the hole into the backup gateway on mine. Just FYI. Not sure if it's a real problem or not.

Shygar, the Gateway has numerous punchouts - some almost two inches wide at its bottom. If installation simply adds the Ethernet cable into the wiring that travels through that opening, problem solved. Usually there is a tray under the Gateway to the Breaker panel (either main or sub). The Ethernet cable can be introduced there through one of their punchouts (usually 3/4 to 1" size) and routed up to the Gateway from there - or just from the bottom of the Gateway (besides the main punchout, there are many smaller ones 3/4-1" in size).

Feel the bottom of your Gateway if you want to find all the punchouts...

BTW, since (as far as I understand it) running signal wire in the same conduit as power requires higher-voltage-rated signal cables, anyone have recommendations for CatX cable that meets the requirements? I might be tempted to run ethernet for my Gateway, what I really want is to run the RS485 for my Solivias, but that would most likely end up sharing a conduit with the PV wires into the attic. I was meaning to check what wire Tesla uses for the PW<->Gateway connection, the installer said it's 600V-rated and presumably has enough conductors for RS485 (guessing that might be what the PW uses to communicate as well), I doubt it has enough for Ethernet, though. So I'll have to see what markings it has on it, or else ask him what he used (which hopefully isn't just a Tesla part number.. :)

BTW, since (as far as I understand it) running signal wire in the same conduit as power requires higher-voltage-rated signal cables, anyone have recommendations for CatX cable that meets the requirements? I might be tempted to run ethernet for my Gateway, what I really want is to run the RS485 for my Solivias, but that would most likely end up sharing a conduit with the PV wires into the attic. I was meaning to check what wire Tesla uses for the PW<->Gateway connection, the installer said it's 600V-rated and presumably has enough conductors for RS485 (guessing that might be what the PW uses to communicate as well), I doubt it has enough for Ethernet, though. So I'll have to see what markings it has on it, or else ask him what he used (which hopefully isn't just a Tesla part number.. :)

My installation of PW2 used left-over Cat5 wire I had for the communication with the Battery from the Gateway. That cable is in with all the 240v wiring routed through the Gateway to the Breaker panel (main or sub). I doubt you will have to consider any special CatX wiring for Ethernet connection when that cabling is joining all that wiring. Any old Cat5 is good for 100Mbs and Cat6 for 1Gbs. Besides, the data flow from the Gateway is quite low - it's not transferring megabytes at any particular time other than perhaps for firmware updates.

Article 725 of the National Electric Code (California Electric Code) prohibits low voltage cables like Ethernet from being run in the same conduit as power wiring.

Cheers, Wayne

Class 1 cabling is allowed. In fact, Tesla's instructions for installation INCLUDE Ethernet cabling through the same runs as the power wiring when it connects the remote controls between the Gateway and the Battery pack. The remote control uses four of the wires from the Ethernet bundle to allow the Gateway to control when the inverter and other features of the battery park are running.

That type of cabling is +/- one volt and at most 10 mA. The rating would be same for Ethernet cabling as used as a communications device between, say, a router and the Gateway itself (just as it is used between the Gateway and the Battery pack).

Again, Ethernet cable is the suggested method of cabling that Tesla states when wiring the controls between Battery pack to the Gateway and that cabling travels in the SAME conduit as the power cables.

Cheers, Ninja

Class 1 cabling is allowed.
Yes, Class 1 cabling is allowed, it needs to have insulation with a voltage rating exceeding that of the power conductors' voltage. The equipment connected to the cabling has to be Class 1 as well, since Class 1 systems aren't power limited. I'm not aware of any Class 1 Ethernet cables and switches, do you have a reference?

Cheers, Wayne

Yes, Class 1 cabling is allowed, it needs to have insulation with a voltage rating exceeding that of the power conductors' voltage. The equipment connected to the cabling has to be Class 1 as well, since Class 1 systems aren't power limited. I'm not aware of any Class 1 Ethernet cables and switches, do you have a reference?

Cheers, Wayne
@wwhitney Tesla crew chief over was over saying there is Ethernet wire they use with 600V sheathing. It was told to me that Tesla pays $10/mo for the cellular if the gateway fails-over from Wi-Fi/Ethernet. They did not tie into the extra port on the inverter because it wasn't installed by Tesla.

I was unaware of the 600V sheathed Ethernet cable, and if I knew would have pushed the installation team in that direction as existing conduit runs could have carried Ethernet. Having his team come back wouldn't be free, and teams are booked out about 4 months. Sound like Tesla will be eating the monthly charge until I get around to connecting via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. The security of Ethernet is in ways less attractive as one can just tap into the network but at least I have a security camera pointing that way. Also, I don't want to have to deal with another WiFi device. Ethernet wins out.

Last edited:
Shygar, the Gateway has numerous punchouts - some almost two inches wide at its bottom. If installation simply adds the Ethernet cable into the wiring that travels through that opening, problem solved. Usually there is a tray under the Gateway to the Breaker panel (either main or sub). The Ethernet cable can be introduced there through one of their punchouts (usually 3/4 to 1" size) and routed up to the Gateway from there - or just from the bottom of the Gateway (besides the main punchout, there are many smaller ones 3/4-1" in size).

Feel the bottom of your Gateway if you want to find all the punchouts...
My Ethernet came in from behind the gateway, so it went through the middle of it, which I guess is why there was a size limitation.

Yes you can just plug it in. But I think you have to run the installation for whatever setup? I think you can setup your own internet connection by going to the IP address of the gateway. Connect to its wifi if you need to, starts with TEG.

Cheers, Wayne

Actually, that's incorrect. The control wires for the Powerwall 2 battery that run from the Gateway go through the same conduit as the power cables. The instructions state to use standard Ethernet cable for those control lines (they use four wires of the total eight in the cable).

However, most Ethernet cable, even when strung to a garage, don't travel in conduit but are tacked up along the wall. The installation I was speaking to had Ethernet strung to that site but was looking for entrance into the Gateway itself. My initial suggestion was to simply route it in with all the rest of the wiring through the main opening underneath. However, if that offends your sensibilities, it can be brought in through many of the other punchouts at the bottom the Gateway into the enclosure where the Ethernet jack is.

My Ethernet came in from behind the gateway, so it went through the middle of it, which I guess is why there was a size limitation.

Got it. My Main Breaker Unit and sub panel that hold all the PW2 controlled breakers are positioned on the outside and inside of my garage in the same spot so wiring goes straight through the wall to each other. Those panels have holes drilled in them to accommodate the wiring between the two.

Did you have the Ethernet running through the wall in your garage and simply emerging where the Gateway was through a hole in the unit? The wiring would definitely be hidden with that method.

Actually, that's incorrect. The control wires for the Powerwall 2 battery that run from the Gateway go through the same conduit as the power cables. The instructions state to use standard Ethernet cable for those control lines (they use four wires of the total eight in the cable).
I'm looking at the Powerwall Installation Manual, Rev 1.0, March 2017, and on page 30 it states "When wiring Powerwall and the Backup Gateway, Class 1 wiring methods are to be used for wiring connections to terminals of Class 2 circuits." Page 32 also indicates that the communications protocol used between the Gateway and the Powerwalls is CAN bus.

Cheers, Wayne

Yes you can just plug it in. But I think you have to run the installation for whatever setup? I think you can setup your own internet connection by going to the IP address of the gateway. Connect to its wifi if you need to, starts with TEG.

If your connection is via Ethernet, there is no set up necessary for the Gateway to communicate via your router should the LTE have difficulties. Only the WiFi needs setup as to login and password if you use it. I would recommend you set the Gateway IP address to static via your router controls by tying the MAC address to a specific IP address. That way, even if the router resets, you get the same IP address for the Gateway and can simply remember one IP address to see the Power Flow through it.

Reactions: Shygar and bmah

However, most Ethernet cable, even when strung to a garage, don't travel in conduit but are tacked up along the wall. The installation I was speaking to had Ethernet strung to that site but was looking for entrance into the Gateway itself. My initial suggestion was to simply route it in with all the rest of the wiring through the main opening underneath. However, if that offends your sensibilities, it can be brought in through many of the other punchouts at the bottom the Gateway into the enclosure where the Ethernet jack is.
@NinjaVece the Ethernet cable between the gateway and batteries on my installation is not the typical cable. Matter of fact, yesterday during inspection, I mentioned low voltage not mixed in same conduit for the gateway to Internet and Tesla on-site said the ones to the batteries have a 600V sleeve, and suggested using that type.

@NinjaVece the Ethernet cable between the gateway on my installation is not the typical cable. Matter of fact, yesterday during inspection, I mentioned low voltage not mixed in same conduit for the gateway to Internet and said the ones to the batteries have a 600V sleeve, and recommended it. Are we certain the manual isn’t referring to “standard Ethernet protocol” and not the cable construction?

Perhaps the cabling I had laying around already had the 600V sleeve. Come to think of it, it was indoor / outdoor Ethernet cabling I had strung massively throughout my house and had many feet left over when the Gateway was installed....

@wwhitney @woferry I think I found the cable to run in conduit. Belden 7953 https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/7953A_techdata.pdf
Interesting note .335 diameter (for conduit fill calculation), and 4 inch minimum bend radius.
There is a section of the NEC that provides for running Class 2 and power conductors together under certain conditions, 725.136(I). It gives two options, which basically require an additional barrier between the two Class 2 and power conductors. (I)(1) says that the overall jacket of a cable type power wiring method is sufficient additional barrier, and (I)(2) allows the use of a "continuous and firmly fixed nonconductor, such as porcelain tubes or flexible tubing,"

The Ethernet cable you link to has a double jacket, so that second outer jacket certainly fits the spirit of the 725.136(I). If one can argue that the outer jacket is a "flexible tubing," then it would work under (I)(2).

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Got it. My Main Breaker Unit and sub panel that hold all the PW2 controlled breakers are positioned on the outside and inside of my garage in the same spot so wiring goes straight through the wall to each other. Those panels have holes drilled in them to accommodate the wiring between the two.

Did you have the Ethernet running through the wall in your garage and simply emerging where the Gateway was through a hole in the unit? The wiring would definitely be hidden with that method.
Yep, well I ran Ethernet myself down from the garage attic and inside the wall (my garage is finished with drywall). So I had it just hanging out and once they put in the backup gateway, they drilled a hole to inside and it was pretty close to where I ran it. So they could keep it inside the wall. You don't see any Ethernet cable in my setup unless you uncover the backup gateway and see it pop out there.