Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that you have three Powerwalls. I wonder if that is part of the issue, since three Powerwalls are above the 10kW maximum to be considered a small system.

Could be, except you should know I originally wanted 2 Powerwalls and PG&E denied me a partial home backup. They said a partial backup was unsafe. I had to add the 3rd Powerwall to do a whole home backup, or I’d have zero Powerwalls.

The screenshot of my interconnection agreement is my NEM2-MT agreement, which is intended for >10KW ESS systems. It seems to plainly allow export that includes all the batteries.

My recollection is that IRS guidance on when an ESS qualifies for the residential ITC is unclear. For the commercial ITC is it 75% or more charging from PV, for 5 years, and the credit is pro-rated if it's under 100%, IIRC. For the residential ITC, I recall another (non-binding) interpretation letter calling for 100% ESS charging from PV, without mention of a time period.

Cheers, Wayne
Your understanding of 100% charging from renewable resources is confirmed by my other research.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and jhn_
Could be, except you should know I originally wanted 2 Powerwalls and PG&E denied me a partial home backup. They said a partial backup was unsafe. I had to add the 3rd Powerwall to do a whole home backup, or I’d have zero Powerwalls.

The screenshot of my interconnection agreement is my NEM2-MT agreement, which is intended for >10KW ESS systems. It seems to plainly allow export that includes all the batteries.
According to my information, export to grid function is not allowed with more than 2 powerwalls, though there may be exceptions.

So not sure how it chose 2.7 kW for the net export rate on both days. Obviously not a computation based on how much energy it wanted to export (or else it got it wrong the second day). I'm curious what behavior others see, particularly with a different number of PWs (I have 2).

I also have two Powerwalls, and the number my system picked seems to be 7.4 kW. I believe this may be an installer setting. I note that the API lists this as the "min_site_meter_power_ac" value for my system:
Rich (BB code):
{
  "id": "",
  "site_name": "",
  "backup_reserve_percent": 45,
  "default_real_mode": "autonomous",
  "installation_date": "2018-02-16T13:11:48-08:00",
  "user_settings": {
    "storm_mode_enabled": false,
    "sync_grid_alert_enabled": true,
    "breaker_alert_enabled": false
  },
  "components": {
    "solar": true,
    "battery": true,
    "grid": true,
    "backup": true,
    "gateway": "hec",
    "load_meter": true,
    "tou_capable": true,
    "storm_mode_capable": true,
    "flex_energy_request_capable": false,
    "car_charging_data_supported": false,
    "off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_supported": true,
    "vehicle_charging_performance_view_enabled": false,
    "vehicle_charging_solar_offset_view_enabled": false,
    "battery_solar_offset_view_enabled": true,
    "solar_value_enabled": true,
    "energy_value_header": "Energy Value",
    "energy_value_subheader": "Estimated Value",
    "energy_service_self_scheduling_enabled": true,
    "set_islanding_mode_enabled": true,
    "wifi_commissioning_enabled": true,
    "backup_time_remaining_enabled": true,
    "battery_type": "ac_powerwall",
    "configurable": true,
    "grid_services_enabled": false,
    "disallow_charge_from_grid_with_solar_installed": true,
    "net_meter_mode": "battery_ok",
    "edit_setting_permission_to_export": true,
    "edit_setting_grid_charging": true,
    "edit_setting_energy_exports": true
  },
  "version": "22.9.1 bce98cad",
  "battery_count": 2,
  "tou_settings": {
    "optimization_strategy": "economics",
    "schedule": [
      {
        "target": "off_peak",
        "week_days": [
        ],
        "start_seconds": 0,
        "end_seconds": 54000
      },
      {
        "target": "peak",
        ],
        "start_seconds": 57600,
        "end_seconds": 75600
      }
    ]
  },
  "tariff_id": "PCE-EV2-A",
  "nameplate_power": 10000,
  "nameplate_energy": 27000,
  "installation_time_zone": "America/Los_Angeles",
  "off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_percent": 90,
  "max_site_meter_power_ac": 999999999,
  "min_site_meter_power_ac": -7.4
}

I also have two Powerwalls, and the number my system picked seems to be 7.4 kW. I believe this may be an installer setting. I note that the API lists this as the "min_site_meter_power_ac" value for my system:
Rich (BB code):
{
  "id": "",
  "site_name": "",
  "backup_reserve_percent": 45,
  "default_real_mode": "autonomous",
  "installation_date": "2018-02-16T13:11:48-08:00",
  "user_settings": {
    "storm_mode_enabled": false,
    "sync_grid_alert_enabled": true,
    "breaker_alert_enabled": false
  },
  "components": {
    "solar": true,
    "battery": true,
    "grid": true,
    "backup": true,
    "gateway": "hec",
    "load_meter": true,
    "tou_capable": true,
    "storm_mode_capable": true,
    "flex_energy_request_capable": false,
    "car_charging_data_supported": false,
    "off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_supported": true,
    "vehicle_charging_performance_view_enabled": false,
    "vehicle_charging_solar_offset_view_enabled": false,
    "battery_solar_offset_view_enabled": true,
    "solar_value_enabled": true,
    "energy_value_header": "Energy Value",
    "energy_value_subheader": "Estimated Value",
    "energy_service_self_scheduling_enabled": true,
    "set_islanding_mode_enabled": true,
    "wifi_commissioning_enabled": true,
    "backup_time_remaining_enabled": true,
    "battery_type": "ac_powerwall",
    "configurable": true,
    "grid_services_enabled": false,
    "disallow_charge_from_grid_with_solar_installed": true,
    "net_meter_mode": "battery_ok",
    "edit_setting_permission_to_export": true,
    "edit_setting_grid_charging": true,
    "edit_setting_energy_exports": true
  },
  "version": "22.9.1 bce98cad",
  "battery_count": 2,
  "tou_settings": {
    "optimization_strategy": "economics",
    "schedule": [
      {
        "target": "off_peak",
        ],
        "start_seconds": 0,
        "end_seconds": 54000
      },
      {
        "target": "peak",
        ],
        "start_seconds": 57600,
        "end_seconds": 75600
      }
    ]
  },
  "tariff_id": "PCE-EV2-A",
  "nameplate_power": 10000,
  "nameplate_energy": 27000,
  "installation_time_zone": "America/Los_Angeles",
  "off_grid_vehicle_charging_reserve_percent": 90,
  "max_site_meter_power_ac": 999999999,
  "min_site_meter_power_ac": -7.4
}
What API call did you make to get that info?

I agree. Doubt if they are doing this.
I have the Grid charge and Export functions in my app. I had 3rd party installer, got SGIP and took ITC

If you remember @holeydonut 's install saga, along with all the hoops he jumped through, calls to PGE and all the "sunrun has never seen this", you would not be surprised that something specific to his install was singled out.

It always appeared to me during that process that, somehow, @holeydonut had "poked the wrong bear" somewhere in PGE, and they basically threw every single regulation that could impede him at him.

@holeydonut , I am not making fun of you, nor trying to say anything other than, given what you went through during your install, I dont find PGE impeding "you, specifically for some reason" something that couldnt happen. Its my guess that someone in PGE specifically made it happen.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Ok I just called back to Tesla because... bored.

They said after looking at it, PG&E expressly has prohibited my specific account to have grid charging or controlled export to increase stored solar export at peak time. They said someone from PG&E has actually left a note on my account specifically blocking me. She confirmed the only way I'd get "advanced options: grid charging / energy exports" enabled would require a PG&E rep to call Tesla Energy and remove the block.

They said PG&E will not allow any form of "non-Stormwatch" grid charging since I got the ITC. So even though my neighbor has 2x Powerwalls installed 2 months after me which included taking the ITC on the Powerwalls ... he has the grid charging option enabled because PG&E likes that guy.

They aren't sure why the same interconnection would bar me from exporting stored solar (since the ITC doesn't have rules about controlled solar export). But the Tesla rep said I could sign up for the VPP.

PG&E sucks.
Turns out that you're not paranoid, the world really is out to get you...

I spoke with an Energy Support rep today to ask het to enable the Energy Exports options on my single PW. According to the documentation (link), this allows setting of Solar (the default) or Everything.

She said this was her first call on the subject and had to look it up. She said she had been to a training session on Sunday about the new features and looked through the training materials. She concluded that I was not eligible to have the option because I don't have 3 PowerWalls. Strange... We discussed it at some length, but she was adament and read to me from the training material.

To support an email request to escalate the issue, I asked her to send me the training language she was reading. She copy/pasted the relevant passage:

At this time only Systems with 3 Powerwall units to qualify to Export everything to the grid
< 3 PW units
•Systems with more than 10kW power require NGOM, removes the savings.
•Systems that get exception for NGOM are not allowed to export to grid
•Utilities allow exporting in NEM agreements
•PG&E, SCE, SDG&E

I sent a request for escalation.

Between the typos, bad grammar, strange punctuation and the introductory conclusion contrary to NEM requirements, I think this is rather faulty. But it may help explain some of the confusion we are seeing among support folks. I think the NGOM requirement for large systems (i.e. >10kW) in NEM may have confused whoever wrote this material.

It also appears that the support folks are in the same boat as we are, suprised by these new features and struggling to figure them out as we go.

I'll report if I hear back, but was told it may take a few days.

SW

I spoke with an Energy Support rep today to ask het to enable the Energy Exports options on my single PW. According to the documentation (link), this allows setting of Solar (the default) or Everything.

She said this was her first call on the subject and had to look it up. She said she had been to a training session on Sunday about the new features and looked through the training materials. She concluded that I was not eligible to have the option because I don't have 3 PowerWalls. Strange... We discussed it at some length, but she was adament and read to me from the training material.

To support an email request to escalate the issue, I asked her to send me the training language she was reading. She copy/pasted the relevant passage:

I sent a request for escalation.

Between the typos, bad grammar, strange punctuation and the introductory conclusion contrary to NEM requirements, I think this is rather faulty. But it may help explain some of the confusion we are seeing among support folks. I think the NGOM requirement for large systems (i.e. >10kW) in NEM may have confused whoever wrote this material.

It also appears that the support folks are in the same boat as we are, suprised by these new features and struggling to figure them out as we go.

I'll report if I hear back, but was told it may take a few days.

SW

This mirrors what I have heard. It's the NGOM that is the stumbling block for more than 2 PW installs.