Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall2 Install: Standby Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just had a new Powerwall2 installed. It has not yet passed inspection.

It is showing as being in Standby mode. What does this mean?

Initially, it seemed to charge and then discharge, even while in standby; however, this was just for one day. I then logged into the gateway and accepted all the conditions, including allowing the utility to control it (since it is part of the California SGIP program). After that, it does not nothing but loose about 2% of charge per day.

I did not say anyway to change the mode after logging in to the gateway or via the app.

The installer (not Tesla) is clueless. For example, they could not get my WiFi signal where it is located and told me I'll need a range extender. They did not seem to know that there is a preconfigured cellular modem in the Powerwall that was already connected.

Thanks for your help.

Hello, I just had a new Powerwall2 installed. It has not yet passed inspection.

It is showing as being in Standby mode. What does this mean?

Initially, it seemed to charge and then discharge, even while in standby; however, this was just for one day. I then logged into the gateway and accepted all the conditions, including allowing the utility to control it (since it is part of the California SGIP program). After that, it does not nothing but loose about 2% of charge per day.

I did not say anyway to change the mode after logging in to the gateway or via the app.

The installer (not Tesla) is clueless. For example, they could not get my WiFi signal where it is located and told me I'll need a range extender. They did not seem to know that there is a preconfigured cellular modem in the Powerwall that was already connected.

Thanks for your help.

There are basically 3 states: Charging, Discharging, and Standby. What settings have you put in on the “Customize” section of the app? For example if you have chosen “Backup Only,” then PW will stay in Standby all the time (except when it needs to charge to stay above the set reserve capacity) until a grid failure.

PS. Welcome to TMC. Also there is this support page with intro video in addition to online manual: Powerwall Support | Tesla

Thanks. I'm on day 3. On day 2, I logged into the gateway and accepted all conditions. I have it in "Self-powered" mode. Forgot to mention that it was added on to a solar installation. After installation, on day 1, it was 25% and did discharge down to the set reserve of 20% during the evening. The battery is now down to 11%, with reserve set to 6%. Still, the power flow shows that the house is drawing exclusively from the grid. I have yet to see the battery be charged from solar, even though the solar production is in vast excess to what the home draws. The excess is going back into the grid.

I should also mention that "Advanced" and "Storm Watch" now appear, as of today, on my "Customize" menu, though they did not initially.
My recent experience is Storm Watch (aka Grid Services?) shows up in the app after about 1 day.

Advanced just showed up for me after 6 days, but probably normall shows up 2-3 days after the PWs get a chance to do a couple of full over-night cycles (probably for statistics and calibration). I haven't let it do that since install until yesterday.

If it's still in standby, raise your reserve. Mine is set at 50% or higher, and it's enough to get me through the 4-9pm peak times. It charges from solar during the day when in Self-Consumption or TBC. Discharge is another story.

In SD, is high-usage charges all times of the day, or just a block of the day? For me on SCE (no high-usage fees so far), it's more efficient to draw from the grid than to do the 90% round-trip through the PW, as long as it's offset during the day by solar.

My system has been stuck in Standby with no power going to my PWs. I found this thread via looking for an answer to my symptom. My initial emotional response aside from the original reply, does Tesla have the ability to keep my system in Standby until my power company gives the PTO?

Reactions: Mike7564
My system has been stuck in Standby with no power going to my PWs. I found this thread via looking for an answer to my symptom. My initial emotional response aside from the original reply, does Tesla have the ability to keep my system in Standby until my power company gives the PTO?

Standby just means that the powerwalls aren’t doing anything. It’s normal for the powerwalls to be in standby if you are in backup only mode, or in another mode, but below the reserve percentage.

If you have a solar system remember that the powerwalls will only charge from solar power, so unless you turned your solar system on then they will not charge. If you have turned the solar system on and they still didn’t charge, then that would be unusual.

I have solar on. Nothing is reaching my PWs.

Attachments

• 7C72636E-3942-4F6C-BAF2-1F26C0B9B89C.png
    7C72636E-3942-4F6C-BAF2-1F26C0B9B89C.png
    642.7 KB · Views: 518
How much energy is in your powerwalls right now? You are sharing the power flow screen, Share the main screen, which shows the powerwalls in standby so we can see what percent your powerwalls are filled. Also share the screen that shows what mode they are in.

Nothing about your screenshot is abnormal for full powerwalls set in a backup only state.

Green light is on both PWs

On my system, there are multiple points that have breakers/switches to prevent the PWs from sending / receiving power.

1) make sure switches on the PWs is on
2) find the breaker box that connects to the PWs, you should see one breaker per PW, make sure those are in the ON position

All PW installs should have at least the above, and possibly even an aggregate "disconnect" between the PWs and the gateway.

On my install there was a problem in the gateway2 configuration of the solar production ct which prevented charging the powerwalls. They fixed this when they were back for the towns electrical inspection by changing a setting in the gateway.

So, only thing I can guess is that something is blocking normal usage and I need to wait for PTO. Batteries are draining and I can’t get them to charge. No meaningful information from Tesla, which is infuriating.

So, only thing I can guess is that something is blocking normal usage and I need to wait for PTO. Batteries are draining and I can’t get them to charge. No meaningful information from Tesla, which is infuriating.

We havent ever heard of a utility or anyone else "blocking" the use of powerwalls from a technical perspective before PTO. Based on what you are saying and posted, I suspect the same thing someone else posted in this thread... that the CTs (current transformers) are placed incorrectly in your panel, and the gateway is measuring your flows incorrectly or something.

Assuming tesla was your installer, they would need to come back out to take a look at that.

One other thing you could try however would be to reset your gateway. I dont know how this is accomplished on gateway 2, but on gateway one, you push the little button through the hole in the middle of the dead front.

Its not unusual seeing powerwalls in standby but it IS unusual seeing them in that state, if the powerwalls are placed in backup only mode, there is sun shining, and they are not full. Assuming that set of circumstances is what you find yourself in (which is what it sounds like), and resetting the gateway doesnt work, it sounds like you may need to wait for tesla to come out and look at it.

Were you present during the commissioning (testing) of your system after install, and did it work then? If so, then either something failed between then and now (possible) or you are missing turning something on.

One thing you could try is connecting to the IP address of your gateway and logging in as a customer. When you connect that way there is an option to stop or start the system, see my screenshot below:

3509A95C-DF06-4941-9BF5-04D793A40031.jpeg

In my case I have a “STOP SYSTEM” button because my system is running, but it’s possible that your installer left your system in the stopped state. If that was the case I don’t know if the app would show the powerwalls in a standby state or something else, but it’s worth logging in to see. If you see a “START SYSTEM” button then click it and hopefully that will take care of your issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin