Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New purchase advise to get into FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend that will be getting a model Y this month he has purchased the FSD and was wondering if there is any truth about accepting the FSD Beta button same day he received the car. Rumors has it some people get it within a day by doing this. I dont believe it but thought I ask. I suggest driving that performance for a few weeks to get the joy of acceleration and then op in to the Beta.

Anyone with FSD can opt in to the FSD Beta queue immediately using the button, but they have to wait until they meet the requirements before they'll receive the FSD Beta build. After pressing the button, your friend won't get FSD Beta until he qualifies by meeting the driving and Safety Score requirements.

I have a friend that will be getting a model Y this month he has purchased the FSD and was wondering if there is any truth about accepting the FSD Beta button same day he received the car. Rumors has it some people get it within a day by doing this. I dont believe it but thought I ask. I suggest driving that performance for a few weeks to get the joy of acceleration and then op in to the Beta.
You accept the request button immediately but then you have to pass the safety score for "up to 30 days."

However, some people had to wait as long as 6 months for the next opening window to accept newly qualified testers.

When is the next window is a mystery.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
We don't actually know what the current requirements are. It seemed pretty clear they were heavily relaxed in time for a lot more users to get the 10.12.2 FSD beta release in early through mid-June than had been admitted to any previous release. However new installs on that release are down to trickle (just six installs in the last 8 days within the TeslaFi community).

Elon's mooted "wide release" may be happening by stages.

I suggest that the friend press the request button as soon as they find it. For sure it won't install instantaneously. It took me almost three months, and I'm not a wild child driver.

Basically you press the button to opt in but for the past year or more Tesla brings people into the beta in batches. I think it used to be opt in and get it right away but now they have their set 100k cars and have been waiting. I did read some tweets from Elon talking about this most recent update coming next week 10.69.2 entering more into the beta and the safety score requirement dropping to 95. Only time will tell.

I find this entire process absurd. I have been driving for almost 40 years now. I have never caused an accident. Meanwhile, I see the pursuit of these safety scores as more hazard than they are useful. Consider the other day, I was driving along at the speed limit, and some idiot pulled out of a driveway without looking and I had to break and swerve to avoid a collision. So here I avoided an accident due to my own ability and yet was penalized for "hard braking" and "aggressive turning"! Even then, my score is at 95 and holding. Seems we all paid for the same functionality. Either hand it out in order of purchase, or order of request, but this is absurd (as is the lack of transparency). What is has shown me is that I would NEVER get Tesla insurance since they apparently use these scores to determine rates. No thanks! But I guess this is what I get for buying vaporware.

I find this entire process absurd. I have been driving for almost 40 years now. I have never caused an accident. Meanwhile, I see the pursuit of these safety scores as more hazard than they are useful. Consider the other day, I was driving along at the speed limit, and some idiot pulled out of a driveway without looking and I had to break and swerve to avoid a collision. So here I avoided an accident due to my own ability and yet was penalized for "hard braking" and "aggressive turning"! Even then, my score is at 95 and holding. Seems we all paid for the same functionality. Either hand it out in order of purchase, or order of request, but this is absurd (as is the lack of transparency). What is has shown me is that I would NEVER get Tesla insurance since they apparently use these scores to determine rates. No thanks! But I guess this is what I get for buying vaporware.
In California, safety score is only for education purposes and cannot be used to determine premium rates; I am not sure the rate in CA, in Texas it is used to determine the premium. If I drive normally and without any mileage limit, then the rates are similar to other companies, if I drive more aggressive then I will pay more that makes the offer a bad deal. If I hand over my sanity, driving skills and forced myself to only use AP, then I can maintain a high score but saved lots of money.

You can request the beta at any time, but still have to reach the safety score requirement, but that’s not a guaranteed for getting beta. Eventually everyone will get it but no definte schedule.