Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor New Refresh Headlights & Taillights for Tesla Model S 2012-2020 | T Sportline x Alpharex collab NOVA Headlights and Pro Series Taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the actual technical issue is. Seems odd to me that it would blow fuses in the refresh but work perfectly fine on the old cars when they have the same physical taillights from the factory.
I will be doing a full write up of everything I did later today. I did get all 4 lights and all functions to work, but it is not a realistic solution. More to come. It has to do with the power draw that occurs when all lights power on at once.

Reactions: terranx
He has a 2021 refresh (plaid/LR)
Alrighty here we go.
I have a 2021 Refresh S LR

I got my lights on Saturday and tried to install them then. As soon as I plugged everything in, the passenger side did not work. Both the outer taillight and trunk light were completely non functional. I went through the standard process of checking connections etc. No success. In addition to them not working initially, I spent about 6 hours trying to figure out different ways that the wires may go to connect to each other and where the additional power wire may draw power from.

After going through the connections, I found that the red splitter cord attaches to the third brake light and then runs to the inner tail lights to provide them with a brake signal and possibly power as well. Then, the black wires run from the inner lights via the liftgate to the outer lights. After I completed the wiring, I tested the lights again with no success.

Each time I connected the lights, the E-fuse would trip and I would need to cycle the cars power via the LV/HV disconnects.

Today I went through some different ways of connecting the lights and got all four of them to work including signals and brake lights. By connecting the inner trunk lights first while the OEM outer lights were still on, I was able to avoid tripping the circuit. Then, I attached the Alpharex outer passenger and finally the outer driver light. Now, all lights were running. However, once the car went to sleep or the lights turned off, the right side would not come back on.

This leads me to the conclusion that there is a surge of power happening when the lights initially turn on, most likely due to the extra functions that were added, which trips the E-fuse.

I messaged with Alpharex and they are saying they are aware of this and have a solution on the way. I’m gonna try to figure this out with them together as the fix could be as simple as adding resistors to deal with the initial power surge during start up.

If you have a 21 Refresh S, save yourself the 12+ hours I spent on this trying to make them work and just wait. I have a feeling this will be solved but it will take some time. As if we all haven’t waited enough already right?

I’ll keep yall updated on this adventure.

Thanks for letting us know! Hope there’s a good solution soon.

For you guys who have received and attempted to install, how do the lights look? Would love to see some more real life pictures.
They look great!!!
IMG_6385.jpeg
IMG_6384.jpeg

Reactions: misc3r and Perplexy
Alrighty here we go.

I got my lights on Saturday and tried to install them then. As soon as I plugged everything in, the passenger side did not work. Both the outer taillight and trunk light were completely non functional. I went through the standard process of checking connections etc. No success. In addition to them not working initially, I spent about 6 hours trying to figure out different ways that the wires may go to connect to each other and where the additional power wire may draw power from.

After going through the connections, I found that the red splitter cord attaches to the third brake light and then runs to the inner tail lights to provide them with a brake signal and possibly power as well. Then, the black wires run from the inner lights via the liftgate to the outer lights. After I completed the wiring, I tested the lights again with no success.

Each time I connected the lights, the E-fuse would trip and I would need to cycle the cars power via the LV/HV disconnects.

Today I went through some different ways of connecting the lights and got all four of them to work including signals and brake lights. By connecting the inner trunk lights first while the OEM outer lights were still on, I was able to avoid tripping the circuit. Then, I attached the Alpharex outer passenger and finally the outer driver light. Now, all lights were running. However, once the car went to sleep or the lights turned off, the right side would not come back on.

This leads me to the conclusion that there is a surge of power happening when the lights initially turn on, most likely due to the extra functions that were added, which trips the E-fuse.

I messaged with Alpharex and they are saying they are aware of this and have a solution on the way. I’m gonna try to figure this out with them together as the fix could be as simple as adding resistors to deal with the initial power surge during start up.

If you have a 21 Refresh S, save yourself the 12+ hours I spent on this trying to make them work and just wait. I have a feeling this will be solved but it will take some time. As if we all haven’t waited enough already right?

Thank you for this update. I am also in contact with them, and they told me the will check to see what can be done as a work around. I am in SoCal. The car is sitting for now, as I do not want to mess with removing the driver side light where the charge port is. That was a PITA.

Thank you for this update. I am also in contact with them, and they told me the will check to see what can be done as a work around. I am in SoCal. The car is sitting for now, as I do not want to mess with removing the driver side light where the charge port is. That was a PITA.
lol yup if it wasn’t for they part it’s a super quick swap. been in contact with them as well. i’ll bug them in a couple hours

Alrighty here we go.

Do you think that the surge may be caused by the annoying animation start? (which Alpharex said can be disabled)

Alrighty here we go.

I have an early refresh LR model S. I went through this very same painful process. I want to add that I replaced the inner passenger side back to the original light and things seemed to be working for some time I put all trims back on then I noticed the passenger side was non-functional again. I called it a day, Next morning (Today) I was pulling my car back into my garage to remove all lights and to my surprise the right side (inner OEM outside A-REX) also worked. I have now plugged once again all A-rex lights and despite of the passenger side not working (even after a battery disconnect) I will wait for several hours in the hope that the passenger sides starts working. This freaking sucks! By The way @interbear99 were your cables long enough ? I found the driver side external taillight to internal taillight short and also the one that runs from trunk light bar to the inner taillights was not long enough, ended soldering extensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: spoonf20c
I have an early refresh LR model S. I went through this very same painful process. I want to add that I replaced the inner passenger side back to the original light and things seemed to be working for some time I put all trims back on then I noticed the passenger side was non-functional again. I called it a day, Next morning (Today) I was pulling my car back into my garage to remove all lights and to my surprise the right side (inner OEM outside A-REX) also worked. I have now plugged once again all A-rex lights and despite of the passenger side not working (even after a battery disconnect) I will wait for several hours in the hope that the passenger sides starts working. This freaking sucks! By The way @interbear99 were your cables long enough ? I found the driver side external taillight to internal taillight short and also the one that runs from trunk light bar to the inner taillights was not long enough, ended soldering extensions.
I actually did not run them fully to check if they were, I just “soft connected”…. I hope they are long enough.

Just received my 2 sets.

I will try the installation on friday on my 2018 100d

I did not know the center trim was included in the package, so i ordered one from tesla 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also, they include a qr code on the box as a link to the installation guide, which doesn’t exist (yet)… it should be kinda straightforward for the pre refresh models o guess, but still i have some questions link disabling animations and dont want to break anything in the process 😂

Just received my 2 sets.

I will try the installation on friday on my 2018 100d

I did not know the center trim was included in the package, so i ordered one from tesla 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also, they include a qr code on the box as a link to the installation guide, which doesn’t exist (yet)… it should be kinda straightforward for the pre refresh models o guess, but still i have some questions link disabling animations and dont want to break anything in the process 😂
Hey there, disabling the animations is as simple as @interbear99 pointed out. Plugging two connectors amongst each other on every light. By doing this you set to OEM behavior, so no sequential signal and no startup animation/sequence.