Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor New Refresh Headlights & Taillights for Tesla Model S 2012-2020 | T Sportline x Alpharex collab NOVA Headlights and Pro Series Taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed everything, and what a fail.

Sequential start does not work, and brake lights do not work. Everything else works.

Now I know why they do not have the install video because you have to mess with the charging port.
I assume you are not connecting things right. For sequential there's a blue with green caps that you connect to each other on each light to disable sequential. then there is a cable that connects the exterior light with the interior, but, it doesn't connect directly, first you have to connect the red long cable to the stop lightbar in the rear windshield, that red cable then has two male and female connectors, each pair goes to the inner taillights, then the cable from the outside light goes to that same cable as well.

I assume you are not connecting things right. For sequential there's a blue with green caps that you connect to each other on each light to disable sequential. then there is a cable that connects the exterior light with the interior, but, it doesn't connect directly, first you have to connect the red long cable to the stop lightbar in the rear windshield, that red cable then has two male and female connectors, each pair goes to the inner taillights, then the cable from the outside light goes to that same cable as well.
What are you talking about? Brake lights work out of the box, at lease on my car they did. Sequential you connect inside and outside light to eachother directly with the cables they provided. I did notice that when i break also the outside ring goes on that i didnt expect. So not just the small line.

On second thought, original units also fully light up when i use the brake.

Attachments

• IMG_6434.jpeg
    IMG_6434.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Let me explain what i did for my 2018 to make everything work:

Provided:

2 identical cables which connect the inside and outside units together allowing sequential blinkers to work fully. If you dont use this you will only have blinkers on the outside unit. Not sure if startup animations would work properly without this wire

Not provided (ece required)

Wiring to allow fog and reverse on 2 sides, confirmed by evoffer is not provided.The connectors are white blue on the inside units. The units have 2 connectors each. Out of the box one of the two is used. On my units on the left side the wrong one was used so had to swap it, fog was lighting up reverse. Then i had to connect the other connector by extending with my own wires to the right unit. Making fog work on both sides.

Now lets not discuss how i installed the units thats something you have to lookup on youtube…charge port side is horror if you dont remove the charge port

To make the animations work, disconnect the green silicone covered connectors (brown wires) on all units. Else sequential and animations wont work.

On the inside units there was also a green black connector, i dont know what that is used for….

What works:
- brake works (but whole unit lights up instead of only the brake light)
- reverse and fog on both sides
- animations and sequential
- lighting normal works

In short all functions work but i would like only the small brake line to light up when i ise the brakes instead of the whole unit.

Last edited:
Let me explain what i did for my 2018 to make everything work:

Provided:

2 identical cables which connect the inside and outside units together allowing sequential blinkers to work fully. If you dont use this you will only have blinkers on the outside unit. Not sure if startup animations would work properly without this wire

Not provided (ece required)

Wiring to allow fog and reverse on 2 sides, confirmed by evoffer is not provided.The connectors are white blue on the inside units. The units have 2 connectors each. Out of the box one of the two is used. On my units on the left side the wrong one was used so had to swap it, fog was lighting up reverse. Then i had to connect the other connector by extending with my own wires to the right unit. Making fog work on both sides.

Now lets not discuss how i installed the units thats something you have to lookup on youtube…charge port side is horror if you dont remove the charge port

To make the animations work, disconnect the green silicone covered connectors (brown wires) on all units. Else sequential and animations wont work.

On the inside units there was also a green black connector, i dont know what that is used for….

What works:
- brake works (but whole unit lights up instead of only the brake light)
- reverse and fog on both sides
- animations and sequential
- lighting normal works

In short all functions work but i would like only the small brake line to light up when i ise the brakes instead of the whole unit.
Based on your pic and your write up, you did not connect your third brake light wire to the inners. The inner taillights should light up as well when you’re braking. There’s an included wire that goes from the third brake light connector to each inner light to send the brake signal.

Based on your pic and your write up, you did not connect your third brake light wire to the inners. The inner taillights should light up as well when you’re braking. There’s an included wire that goes from the third brake light connector to each inner light to send the brake signal.
Are you sure?? Because if you look at the evoffer videos you can see the line in the inner units dont light up when you brake. See this picture, taken from their site.

That wire is not included… by the way…

See the video at 0:26 sec, exactly like mine work:

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    802 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Are you sure?? Because if you look at the evoffer videos you can see the line in the inner units dont light up when you brake. See this picture, taken from their site.

That wire is not included… by the way…

See the video at 0:26 sec, exactly like mine work:

both of you guys are correct. Here is the thing though:

I spoke with T-Sportline back then because I noticed the same thing (inner light+outer light vs outer light only)

1717170898496.png

Reverse light on the US version:
1717171109319.png

Shots taken from this video

EVOffer's "version" aka EU spec has the rear fog light in place of the US Spec reverse light:

1717170969091.png

and the reverse light is in the line closer to the outer ring, shining white:
1717171021989.png

To sum it up:
- EU version: reverse light (large line, inner ring) brake light (line outer ring only) rear fog light (small line)
-
US version: reverse light (small line), brake light (inner and outer line), no rear fog light

Last edited:
Hey! I have a 2017 Model S, waited for these since FEB when the stock left tail light went out and I wanted a neat refresh option. They finally came in yesterday and I went through the whole install process minus the third brake wiring harness. I'll go back today and wrap that up but without it the functions I did get to work were:

-Startup animation
-outside turn signal
-reverse
-standard lighting

Honestly my biggest concern is getting that brake light working, the rest of it I am happy with. I greatly appreciate this thread and the sweat equity you all put in already. Once 2PM hits I'm heading right back outside to finish up the wiring.
Model S Taillight.JPEG

So apparently talking directly from alpharex they said all the 21 model s need resistors on the brake and tail wiring which they were going to ship out but I just checked in today with them and now they are saying that it is 3 weeks out until they get them at there warehouse

I see! I will try to work on it later and report back.