Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor New Refresh Headlights & Taillights for Tesla Model S 2012-2020 | T Sportline x Alpharex collab NOVA Headlights and Pro Series Taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey! I have a 2017 Model S, waited for these since FEB when the stock left tail light went out and I wanted a neat refresh option. They finally came in yesterday and I went through the whole install process minus the third brake wiring harness. I'll go back today and wrap that up but without it the functions I did get to work were:

-Startup animation
-outside turn signal
-reverse
-standard lighting

Honestly my biggest concern is getting that brake light working, the rest of it I am happy with. I greatly appreciate this thread and the sweat equity you all put in already. Once 2PM hits I'm heading right back outside to finish up the wiring.View attachment 1052306
How did you manage to remove the charging port? I messed up there and I think I broke my charing port.

How did you manage to remove the charging port? I messed up there and I think I broke my charing port.
I cut my hands in 6000 places. I have a thin long t-handle torx driver that could reach the back of that bracket to the inside of the trunk. The bottom one I was able to get by angling out the taillight enough to reach from the side (where the hard plastic piece that covers the taillight sits).

I did just finish wiring up the supplied harness to the third brake light. Zip tied it the red wire secured and then ran the inner wires back up to the body pass-through and down to the outer taillights worked well with about 18” of spare wire. Everything works well for now, and the brake lights are nice and bright.

Reactions: Aziatiklover
Try this
Unfortunately this service article does not talk at all about the issue of the motorized door he and I have. It’s one of the largest PITA I’ve dealt with on a car. And I’ve worked on everything from CAT equipment to 2 cycle motors…

update for us troubled 2021 refresh peeps. been in contact with alpharex since i got the tail lights last week, they were nice enough to come to my house this evening and install the needed resistors. everything works well now. here’s the resistors.

IMG_8237.jpeg
IMG_8236.jpeg

update for us troubled 2021 refresh peeps. been in contact with alpharex since i got the tail lights last week, they were nice enough to come to my house this evening and install the needed resistors. everything works well now. here’s the

update for us troubled 2021 refresh peeps. been in contact with alpharex since i got the tail lights last week, they were nice enough to come to my house this evening and install the needed resistors. everything works well now. here’s the resistors.

View attachment 1052489View attachment 1052490
On which wire is the inner resistor connected to?

@Vrgs13 I'm no expert, but as I understand, it's not the voltage, but rather the power consumption, which, looks to be monitored by the tesla components, and since its not complying to the expected values, tesla components report a failure effectively tripping the e-fuse. By adding some resistors, in theory, the current (power usage) would be rather slower or limited (voltage would still be around 16v) and hopefully comply to meet the expected ranges for tesla module to not trip the e-fuse. in this case a relay could work but you would have to do cut cords and rewire to where you would be drawing the power source (eg charging tray or cigarrete port), either alpharexes' or teslas'.

I assume that the solution that alpharex would provide is an enclosure that would be having these resistors in place.
OK, so in theory all of these that I bought I just need to return? lol later down the thread, somebody got theirs working I guess the manufacturer came out and installed the correct resistors. I’m willing to be a guinea pig so if you have any links to parts/correct resistors, I will happily buy them & test (for us and patient folks who don’t want to wait three weeks for a fix to be sent out)
IMG_1657.png
IMG_1658.png
IMG_1659.png
IMG_1660.png
IMG_1661.png
IMG_1662.png
Don’t care much for this car. It’s going back Lemon law either way I’ll fix it if it breaks

View attachment 1052489View attachment 1052490
Any idea what resistors those are? Does it have any numbers on the back of that gold one? Also, what is inside that little black box where they tapped the left light? If you can even see any of this stuff that would be greatly appreciated.

instructions are posted. Is this for all models?

Great instructions but the European charge port simply does not come out like that. And you wont be able to push it forward if the orange hv wiring is still bolted to the car. The instruction just to power down the car might not be sufficient/safe if you fiddle with hv wiring but thats my opinion. I totaly forgot there was a “shut off” function, i worded on the car when it was still running 😂

Reactions: taekua
Spoonf20c that install looks like a PIA. I’d gladly pay you to do the install on my 21. Let me know!!! 😂
ha its not actually a hard job, just very tedious to be honest. you just gotta take your time when removing the interior panels and not to break the clips or tabs. chargeport side is annoying but very doable if you have the right tools. my biggest drawback really was the lack of diagrams for the wiring (which is solved now) and the resistor issue.

i believe alpharex does installs at their warehouse in irwindale, so maybe contact them? if you somehow get the courage to do them yourself, feel free to reach out to me and i'll help you with what i can.