Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New refreshed 2022 Model S or used model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. this is my first time purchasing tesla and yet I have problem.

option 1 : New 2022 refreshed model S Long range. I ordered in early November after the price change of msrp 94990.. with everything included I would have to pay about 107800, so I'm basically paying full price It says EDD March 12~Early April.

option 2: Model S 2018(75D) I'm seeing vehicles in about 60$K range with 30000 miles on so its basically 35k cheaper then the new one.

What I'm worried is that I ordered my New model S LR after all the full price change ( 79990 to 94990) so I'm worried about excessive depreciation of my car value after few years, plus I have heard the news that 4680 batteries are incoming soon and that could possibly make the vehicle having more range but yet cheaper.
I know because of the covid pandamic used tesla prices have gone crazy as well, but do you guys think should I still get the new 2022 model s Refresh eventhough I ordered after the full price change? or just get used model s 2018 75d for 60k and wait for cheaper msrp model s in future? if possible. I feel like I'm getting scammed after I see all those people who ordered for 79990 and I'm getting the exact same vehicle for 94990... :(

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I would pay 35k more for 2022 rather than pay less for 2018 car.

Range is King.

Your new touch screen is much more responsive than the older one.
I think it all depends on a person's budget. For example I would pay $50K more for a Taycan CT Turbo over another (5th for me) Model S. Of course that price difference includes a bunch of options which Model S simply doesn't have (such as Apple Car Play, Android Auto, rear wheel steering, night vision, surround view, much better brakes, etc) so it's not an apples to apples comparison, but in the end you should only buy what you can afford. Nothing ruins car ownership experience more than payments you cannot afford.

PS> If range is truly the primary goal, go Lucid or Mercedes EQS. EQS has even more tech available, similar price to Model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: syrsid
The refreshed S is really a huge step up IMHO. A Tesla is a piece of tech, faster computers, better build quality and better range is worth more than what you will be saving not to mention resale value. The recent holiday update is a good example, non refreshed did not get it, not exactly sure why but processing power and vertical screen seem like a good guess. The previous vertical screen is no more across the board and future updates will concentrate on landscape format. things change/evolve and sometimes they disappear. In a "tech" car like a Tesla it is more important than ever to have processing power. I wonder how long it will be before my Model Y can't keep up with all the updates since the new Rysen chip has come out and is apparently 3 times as fast as my very "old", already surpassed 2020 Y's Atom.

Do you miss not having a CD player in the newer cars? I have an older rag top Mercedes which was more expensive in the day than a Model S today! It has a cassette deck in it, no rear view camera, and no blind spot monitoring, no TPMS and no bluetooth, heck not even a heated steering wheel but I do have air bags and ABS ;)

Get a 3 now or Y and buy S or X or CT later after prices have settled. There is not much interior space difference between 3, Y, and S.
Saying that there is not much interior space difference between an S and a 3 is very much misleading and couldn't be further from the truth.

To the OPs question however, get what you can afford and stop trying to second guess the value of the car based on the future (newer battery etc), otherwise you will not get any car as Tesla's are constantly changing.

The recent holiday update is a good example, non refreshed did not get it, not exactly sure why but processing power and vertical screen seem like a good guess. T
The non-refreshed (“legacy”) S did get the holiday update, but it doesn’t include all the features available on other models. Some of those missing features are UI changes that people have been complaining about, so it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Saying that there is not much interior space difference between an S and a 3 is very much misleading and couldn't be further from the truth.

To the OPs question however, get what you can afford and stop trying to second guess the value of the car based on the future (newer battery etc), otherwise you will not get any car as Tesla's are constantly changing.
Agree, MS is def bigger all around then M3!

This is a decision only you can make. Since you asked for my opinion I'll give it based on how I approach this same choice:

I won't even consider an all-new Tesla of any model until after they've delivered 10k units. So far, based on what I'm seeing, this Refresh Model S supports this opinion. Lots of growing pains and I'm not willing to sign up for them let alone pay a premium.

Up next is the financial consideration. This "It's only $35k more" attitude is partly what's to blame for the current state of how delicate our economy is since it's debt driven. That "only $35k more" gets you into a brand new car which has a substantially higher rate of depreciation. To the tune of roughly 50% within the first 4 years. This has nothing to do with Tesla but everything to do with all new cars.

In addition, most people tend to finance these new cars. They also tend to extend the loan term for longer periods and pay absurd amounts of interest (even though the % is lower on new) over this time period. Buying a $100k new vehicle and having that worth roughly $50k within 4 years is just crazy. That doesn't even get into what you pay in interest over that same period for the privilege of being an Alpha (wish these things were more of a Beta release) tester for Tesla. They don't seem to have the time or resources to test things themselves before forcing it upon the paying customer.

In the end, that 2018 car will be over 90% of the experience at far less initial cost as well as depreciation hit. Most of the people who flippantly recommend a new car purchase for "only $35k more" are likely not taking the financial aspect into full consideration (especially as it applies to someone they know nothing about) and they're just trying to justify their own purchase decision.

On top of all of that, once you find a used car you want you can own/drive it likely the same day unless you do something silly like pay a premium to buy used from Tesla which will have you waiting upwards of a month to take delivery. I would agree though that you should really look into more range even on the used one. Source used, be patient and buy the best range you can afford within your budget.

That said, if you have a net work north of $10mil in savings, investment/retirement portfolio and real estate holdings diversified safely w/o any debt... congratulations, you're part of the 0.09% and I'm not talking to you because you can safely go buy a brand new Plaid if you want one as all of those costs I spelled out above don't amount to even a rounding error on your net worth spreadsheet.

I'll go ahead and get my flame suit on to protect me from all of the "financial geniuses" who are about to savagely attack me because of something they saw on the internet once from someone who is incentivized to say something proactive to make them stand out regardless of how factually based in math it is.

This is a decision only you can make. Since you asked for my opinion I'll give it based on how I approach this same choice:

I won't even consider an all-new Tesla of any model until after they've delivered 10k units. So far, based on what I'm seeing, this Refresh Model S supports this opinion. Lots of growing pains and I'm not willing to sign up for them let alone pay a premium.

Up next is the financial consideration. This "It's only $35k more" attitude is partly what's to blame for the current state of how delicate our economy is since it's debt driven. That "only $35k more" gets you into a brand new car which has a substantially higher rate of depreciation. To the tune of roughly 50% within the first 4 years. This has nothing to do with Tesla but everything to do with all new cars.

In addition, most people tend to finance these new cars. They also tend to extend the loan term for longer periods and pay absurd amounts of interest (even though the % is lower on new) over this time period. Buying a $100k new vehicle and having that worth roughly $50k within 4 years is just crazy. That doesn't even get into what you pay in interest over that same period for the privilege of being an Alpha (wish these things were more of a Beta release) tester for Tesla. They don't seem to have the time or resources to test things themselves before forcing it upon the paying customer.

In the end, that 2018 car will be over 90% of the experience at far less initial cost as well as depreciation hit. Most of the people who flippantly recommend a new car purchase for "only $35k more" are likely not taking the financial aspect into full consideration (especially as it applies to someone they know nothing about) and they're just trying to justify their own purchase decision.

On top of all of that, once you find a used car you want you can own/drive it likely the same day unless you do something silly like pay a premium to buy used from Tesla which will have you waiting upwards of a month to take delivery. I would agree though that you should really look into more range even on the used one. Source used, be patient and buy the best range you can afford within your budget.

That said, if you have a net work north of $10mil in savings, investment/retirement portfolio and real estate holdings diversified safely w/o any debt... congratulations, you're part of the 0.09% and I'm not talking to you because you can safely go buy a brand new Plaid if you want one as all of those costs I spelled out above don't amount to even a rounding error on your net worth spreadsheet.

I'll go ahead and get my flame suit on to protect me from all of the "financial geniuses" who are about to savagely attack me because of something they saw on the internet once from someone who is incentivized to say something proactive to make them stand out regardless of how factually based in math it is.
Very well written and great advice! These are the exact reasons I bought a 2016 75D in July 2019. The car had lost 50% of its original price and hardly much less important functionality.

Reactions: 2101Guy

Life is too short to worry about that.

If you are buying a new Model S, I would guess most people are well of financially and if not you should not be buying any car for that price, as a Model S. Simple as that.

I would only buy new and only a 2021 refresh Model S. Big differences between the new Model S and the one the OP is looking at. Not sure what growing pains you are talking about in refresh, as I have had my car for about 3 weeks now and not seen any major issues. But, I am different than than a lot of people, as I always buy or lease new. Just dislike anything to do with a used cars. Same with homes too. :)

Life is too short to worry about that.

If you are buying a new Model S, I would guess most people are well of financially and if not you should not be buying any car for that price, as a Model S. Simple as that.

I would only buy new and only a 2021 refresh Model S. Big differences between the new Model S and the one the OP is looking at. Not sure what growing pains you are talking about in refresh, as I have had my car for about 3 weeks now and not seen any major issues. But, I am different than than a lot of people, as I always buy or lease new. Just dislike anything to do with a used cars. Same with homes too. :)
Ostrichsak's point was to the OP who is asking about the value of spending an extra $35k for a new S. I don't think that $ sum is applicable to you. 👍

Hello. this is my first time purchasing tesla and yet I have problem.

option 1 : New 2022 refreshed model S Long range. I ordered in early November after the price change of msrp 94990.. with everything included I would have to pay about 107800, so I'm basically paying full price It says EDD March 12~Early April.

option 2: Model S 2018(75D) I'm seeing vehicles in about 60$K range with 30000 miles on so its basically 35k cheaper then the new one.

What I'm worried is that I ordered my New model S LR after all the full price change ( 79990 to 94990) so I'm worried about excessive depreciation of my car value after few years, plus I have heard the news that 4680 batteries are incoming soon and that could possibly make the vehicle having more range but yet cheaper.
I know because of the covid pandamic used tesla prices have gone crazy as well, but do you guys think should I still get the new 2022 model s Refresh eventhough I ordered after the full price change? or just get used model s 2018 75d for 60k and wait for cheaper msrp model s in future? if possible. I feel like I'm getting scammed after I see all those people who ordered for 79990 and I'm getting the exact same vehicle for 94990... :(
I wouldn’t pay those prices for either of those vehicles. After all the price increases, I would go with a new 3/Y.

Note: I bought a MS refresh before all the price hikes. Would never pay $100K for this car.

I purchased the new model Y in October and sold it last week with 3500 miles on it and at 4 grands more than what I paid for to autonation. . The used car prices are insane. I was lucky enough to get a new MS within 2 weeks of order and Purchased the new 2022 MSLR, for the better drive and cabin quality. WILL sell this too in a few months if I can get reasonable price for it. The 100k price for the MS is not worth the quality.

Agree, MS is def bigger all around then M3!
Not so much MY however. The MY trunk cavity is quite large and the added head room makes quite the diff. Interior length is only 7% less than an MS and the Y seats sit high so legs and need don’t come crunching up in the rear. The rear seats auto recline, hidden built in tow, the push button fold down seats actually auto fold…not so in S. There are some definitive
advantages to Y from that perspective.

The S is a gorgeous hatchback machine with more interior room specs than a typical sedan, but it is a car at the end vs an SUV.

Either option is golden :)

Reactions: SilverGS