Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New regular AP as upgrade for older Model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my Model 3, I wasn't interested in the enhanced autopilot for $5k, but I would have been interested in the regular autopilot at $3k. I wonder if Tesla will offer this as an upgrade option at some point for those of us who didn't buy EAP.

For me personally this is my #1 question after today - if I can buy the "E-free" AP for $3k right now, Tesla can have my money just as fast as I can click "buy."

I've been checking the status of possible software upgrades in my account - 2 hours ago there were none, now it shows that I can purchase the new FSD for $7k - which doesn't make sense as I don't have AP and it isn't giving me any AP upgrade option at any price. Fingers crossed that maybe the prior non-AP cars are getting a FREE AP upgrade? Too much to hope I know, but I DID pay them $5,500 more for my exact car 8 months ago than they are selling it for today...

Or maybe this means I can get BOTH for $7k right now? That would also be interesting.

Here is what I have.

Full Self Driving Capability
  • - Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • - Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • - Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• - Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • - Automatic driving on city streets
Note: Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability

Buy for $5,500

Knowing that I am in the middle of the EAP trial.

The vanilla AP is now $4k post-delivery.

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.26.58 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Here is what I have.

Full Self Driving Capability
  • - Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • - Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • - Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• - Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • - Automatic driving on city streets
Note: Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability

Buy for $5,500

Knowing that I am in the middle of the EAP trial.
i'm also in the middle of the EAP trial and was presented with the $5,500 price of FSD. Does that mean we can get EAP and FSD for $5,500?

edit- nm. when you select FSD it auto selects autopilot as well. so you have to purchase both for $9,000. I'm assuming this is the discounted price if you're currently in the EAP trial.

I don't have EAP. My account now shows $4000 for the new AP and $7000 for FSD.

In my car, Order Now bottom under Autopilot menu now shows a QR code to Tesla.com, saying we recently updated our autopilot packages.
It shows the same on my account now as well. TACC and autosteer aren't worth $4k to me, so I'll pass. $3k is pretty much the most I'd be willing to pay for the AP, and even at that I'm kind of 50/50.

Here is what I received.

There are 2 options we are offering for those who’ve taken delivery in 2019 already.

1. Since you didn’t have Autopilot configured with your order, you will receive that.

2. You can return the vehicle within 7 days of your purchase or within 1,000 miles and will receive a full refund.

However, the only way to receive the NEW pricing will be to cancel and reorder the vehicle.​

We took delivery of our model 3 in December. I thought the $5K price was too high so I passed especially because I didn't think the EAP was ready for prime time and I didn't need much beyond the TACC. Now they have reduced the functionality of autopilot to where it would be attractive to me but the price at $4K is still too high for what you get. I would be a player at $2K but not at $4K.

We took delivery of our model 3 in December. I thought the $5K price was too high so I passed especially because I didn't think the EAP was ready for prime time and I didn't need much beyond the TACC. Now they have reduced the functionality of autopilot to where it would be attractive to me but the price at $4K is still too high for what you get. I would be a player at $2K but not at $4K.

You will be able to get it at $2K because you bought your M3 without EAP. See chart:
Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st