Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could a few people please post pictures of their yellowed screens perhaps with the white drawing pad Easter egg as background. I’ve read 13 pages of this thread and have little idea of how bad the problem is.
Thanks.
hopefully this is good enough resolution wise. My car is less than 2 years old.
screen.jpg

And one example is improper wheel instl, improper torque of lug nuts.

Unless some wrench monkey using an impact gun to put the wheel back on without a torque sticks, this is unlikely. Just another superstitious thing to blame. It's super hard to warp the rotors. It's super easy to get uneven pad deposits and surface rust, which if following by improper braking will continue that trend which will create hotspots, and those hotspots permanently change the grain structure of the alloy, and will lead to further vibration. Some of this can be fixed by trying to anneal the rotor at a high temperature, but good luck with finding an oven hot enough. No, the right thing to do is to brake lightly so the rotor doesn't get hot until the surface has become smooth again. Brake hard from high speeds with unclean rotors, are your supposed "warping" is near instantaneous.

Yes this is OT, but really throwing your broken kitchen sink at Tesla hurts the case for them fixing real issues.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
I talked to three service centers. This wasn't an issue of them having out of date info. All three told me: Yes, the new screen is available. Yes, they were recently replacing them for people under warranty. But things changed suddenly, and now they are not replacing them under warranty and are requiring customer-pay ($1325-$1345). They are going back to saying that they are working on a 'software fix' to remedy this and will not be replacing screens. (which yes will only be a cover-up at best to reduce the appearance of it while on.)

Mine yellowed after about 4 months in the winter (Dec. 2018 car.) - it's not heat or "wear and tear".

The people who are posting here who got replacements are *lucky*. Not smarter, not more in the know, not more convincing -- Lucky. You guys got your service appointments scheduled in the small window when they were replacing screens (like they said they would for years.)

According to the SC's take on it: Yes. They had planned on getting a screen replacement job done, finally got the part ready, and realized that there were more defective screens than they thought, and changed their mind.

Months ago I asked my service center about this, right after I got the car. "I'm concerned that you guys may just say it's cosmetic and decide not to replace the screen." - "No no that won't happen, it's a supplier defect and we're working on the solution, don't worry we'll take care of you!" was the response.

Now here we are and the response is basically a middle finger, 'sucks to be you'.

Yeah. I realize some of you got your screens replaced. If you think I'm just not getting it -- what is it I'm doing wrong (since it obviously can't be Tesla in the wrong, right?) that's causing them to refuse to replace my yellowing screen? Am I asking in the wrong tone of voice? Are there magic words that need to be said?

Tesla is backing out on replacing the yellowing S/X screens that they promised many of us that they would fix. They are instead kicking the can down the road saying they are looking for a non-replacement option, which many of us know won't work (because it won't) - because the expense ended up being bigger than they expected.

I suspect many of us will simply fork over the $1345 (which obviously includes a ton of profit for Tesla; the 90-minute replacement job, even though they have to disassemble the dash, is not $1000 in labor, and the screen's cost is in the $350 range AT BEST...) to replace the screen if the process becomes painful enough. After all, "does your S/X have the replacement?" will be a big resale checkpoint. And I'm sure they know this.

Its on a case by case basis. yellowing is not justification, get a screen protector, or dont park outside in the sun, JK. I wont be surprised thats a given solution. The screen lamination on the edge is failing due to heat changes causing yellowing, but there has to be a justifiable failure of the screen, & the technicians will test the MCU to ensure this. There is no luck in this, its not about getting an upgrade or getting some freebie. It either functions properly or its defective, & if its under warranty when it fails they replace it. In all aspects of value, $1300 to replace the screen out of warranty I feel is a bargain, especially for what kind of tech I/we are driving; try to get that same value from the apple genius bar if someone drops their $3k macbook pro & breaks the screen, applecare or not, & I dont think I would get that from any auto manufacturer when you take it in for service; probably not.

Last edited:
I have the yellowing border as well. Just noticed it the other day. Nothing real severe but my car is only 2.5 years old.

I will reserve judgment until I know what Tesla’s plan is for this. The message seems to be all over the place currently. In just the last couple days, there have been posts of full MCU replacement, screen replacement, repair, nothing at all, etc.

I had my MCU replaced last year at the 50K service due to failing eMMC. The replacement *CAME* with a yellow border so it was obviously a refurb unit. I was told to hang tight and just live with it for now and that I'd be notified when there was a long term fix.

The problem is even if they agreed to replace it now, I'd have to upgrade to V9 because that's what would be on the replacement. At this point I'd rather live with the yellow border than give up V8 :(

The most common cause of warping rotors is excess heat from braking. It's far more common on cars that have insufficient rotor size for the weight of the vehicle.

That said, my front rotors have recently starting pulsing when braking. It's rare for me to brake enough to notice it because unless I'm braking for something unexpected, I never use my brakes above 5 mph. So the only time I notice is when that car suddenly pulls in front of me or the animal darts across the road. I've got 90% of my pads left at 90K miles. I just replaced my Prius's original brake pads at 280K miles.

Okay, then Tesla should say that. At this point, they are stating that there will be no repair/replacement done under warranty. I don’t mind waiting a few months either, but having a yellow screen on a 6 month old $90K car is unacceptable.

Wait a bit - I expect they will eventually address it. Not because I am a complete fanboy (see my previous post on this topic), but because it is going to bite them in the rear, more and more as time goes by. Next time I get a call from the Sales Dept asking if I want to swap out what I have now, I’ll be sure to mention this. (They called me a few months back before their new policy was in place) It isn’t clear to me that this problem is fixed for new models, is it? And even if it is, the pattern noted by others, is going to cause folks including myself to weigh competitive options. I really enjoy my car, but increasing my investment (purchase of cars) isn’t happening til I see steady improvements as noted by others. With Tesla, change is constant..so we’ll see.

Reactions: davidc18
Unless some wrench monkey using an impact gun to put the wheel back on without a torque sticks, this is unlikely. Just another superstitious thing to blame. It's super hard to warp the rotors. It's super easy to get uneven pad deposits and surface rust, which if following by improper braking will continue that trend which will create hotspots, and those hotspots permanently change the grain structure of the alloy, and will lead to further vibration. Some of this can be fixed by trying to anneal the rotor at a high temperature, but good luck with finding an oven hot enough. No, the right thing to do is to brake lightly so the rotor doesn't get hot until the surface has become smooth again. Brake hard from high speeds with unclean rotors, are your supposed "warping" is near instantaneous.

Yes this is OT, but really throwing your broken kitchen sink at Tesla hurts the case for them fixing real issues.
Well, call it warped of otherwise broken, the end result is that this occurs. As for your "brake lightly" comment, whe you brake lightly it's all regen. Tesla should design for that - they've had many years of experience. Maybe instead of adding fart noises and Atari games? It is also entirely possible they might have actually "improved" something at some point, as this only developed in our youngest car (of 4). Elon touts his genius of continuous changes, no need for exhaustive testing, and other risks. Guess what, when you take risks, sometimes you win, other times you lose. If you use a part meant for something else, you may win, or have to replace it the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Wait a bit - I expect they will eventually address it. Not because I am a complete fanboy (see my previous post on this topic), but because it is going to bite them in the rear, more and more as time goes by. Next time I get a call from the Sales Dept asking if I want to swap out what I have now, I’ll be sure to mention this. (They called me a few months back before their new policy was in place) It isn’t clear to me that this problem is fixed for new models, is it? And even if it is, the pattern noted by others, is going to cause folks including myself to weigh competitive options. I really enjoy my car, but increasing my investment (purchase of cars) isn’t happening til I see steady improvements as noted by others. With Tesla, change is constant..so we’ll see.
Well, given their history, they will address it, but very likely only for new cars. That way it doesn't affect their new car sales, and hey, an incentive to upgrade too.

Well, given their history, they will address it, but very likely only for new cars. That way it doesn't affect their new car sales, and hey, an incentive to upgrade too.

I hope you are wrong. If it does go the way you suggest, then the evaluation to get a new one has to include the knowledge that other failures will not be fixed. At some point, for me at least, I am going to get off the “new” train because of that. I will probably just keep what I have until it has to replaced, then see if things are better and if not, it will all be fond memories..

Orthogonal, but another poster mentioned Apple buying into Tesla (could have been a different thread). I think Tim Cook does a better job of operational management. Would that Elon would align with someone like this to address funding and execution. I’d like a blend of Elon innovation and Tim Cook execution. Ok, I put up a target, let’s have it :)

I hope you are wrong. If it does go the way you suggest, then the evaluation to get a new one has to include the knowledge that other failures will not be fixed. At some point, for me at least, I am going to get off the “new” train because of that. I will probably just keep what I have until it has to replaced, then see if things are better and if not, it will all be fond memories..
How much do you think the fact that the old MCU runs slow or that the browser hasn't worked since v9 rollout, affects Tesla new car sales today? Or the fact that blind spot detection using just parking sensors is completely unreliable? Or the fact that Tesla sold 85KWh batteries which were only 81KWh (77KWh usable)? Or the fact that when they sold a 691hp car and later came back with 463hp and an excuse that the car is capable, but not all of the car? Granted, some people do care, but most people don't even know about all these things. Of those who do, there are not enough of them for Elon to care.

Orthogonal, but another poster mentioned Apple buying into Tesla (could have been a different thread). I think Tim Cook does a better job of operational management. Would that Elon would align with someone like this to address funding and execution. I’d like a blend of Elon innovation and Tim Cook execution. Ok, I put up a target, let’s have it :)
Tim Cook is an executive who knows how to run a mature company. It's not as exciting as startups and requires a whole different set of skills, ones which Elon just doesn't have. Elon is a visionary, great at starting companies, taking huge risks which are necessary at startup stage but also lead to 9 out of 10 startups failing. Once the company matures, you don't want to take the 1 in 10 chance anymore, so you should take less risks, and build the company to last. Investors often remove founders from their companies after they reach a certain stage, and install a whole different leadership to run a mature company.