Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the windshield ghosting of headlights/tail lights is a cosmetic defect as well.:mad:
It's gonna be interesting to hear what the "fix" is for the yellow boarder that they are planning to release in a few months.

I've heard so many "official" statements on what the fix is going to be from Tesla that I don't have any faith that they're doing anything but buying time and feeding us a line.

The first thing I heard was "firmware", which as on its face ridiculous even though a bunch of people seemed to buy it. Basis on my disbelief is that, of course, you can't alter materials with firmware. I think this was just people "knowing enough to be dangerous", and being wowed by past firmware updates that changed things (Such as performance) that normally couldn't be changed on an average car. But in short, "firmware to fix the pixels" isn't going to do it because the issue isn't "pixels". Later it was said that what this firmware would do would allow the service center to 'paint' a blue gradient border around the screen to counteract the yellow gradient. Problem is, the yellow is reflective, and the issue isn't just one with transmissivity - it's most visible in sun. Finally on the 'firmware' angle someone here was told that 2019.16.2 would fix it magically over the course of a month, 'repairing the cells', whatever that means. (It means nothing, firmware can't fix adhesive / sealant gel.)

My service center then told me about the "UV light frame" which was in vogue as a theory for about two whole weeks. Service techs say that they saw pictures of the thing, a big "frame with fans" that would blast UV light at the screen and either, based on varying theories, undo the yellowing (which makes no sense, as the sun is a hell of a lot more powerful as far as UV goes, than some dinky LEDs) - or according to some, just yellow the rest of the screen to match the border. (A big thumbs up on this one, Tesla!) - Either way, nobody seems to see how this would compete with the sun (Which isn't causing the yellowing, by the way, as tinted/garaged new cars in cold/overcast environments showed the problem too - including mine, over a winter period where we saw almost no sun.)

Then someone was told that there was going to be a 'liquid they applied to the screen'. I don't really even want to get into the physics of applying magic lotion to glass to get to a layer beneath said glass. Not even sure who thunk this one up.

Another person was told that the fix would be contact tape applied around the edges of the display. To reduce the display size and cover up the yellow. Perhaps as the yellowing increased you could take your car in and get thicker borders applied. By the time your warranty is up, you end up with a 6 inch screen. I suggested (without any cynicism at all, right) that replacing the existing bezel with a really big fat one may be a better option.

Today we heard from someone who said that the solution would be "thermal". Here we go back into the issue of it being heat or cold causing this to happen. Happened in my 5 month old car during the Colorado winter (December delivery) where temperatures never got above 40'F. It's not heat. Conversely, many folks in the sunny paradise of California (i.e., the only place Teslas actually exist) where it never gets below 72'F and sunny (even at midnight on Christmas) have had the yellowing border occur. So it's not cold.

So this brings us to what is probably the only logical rationale as to what's causing the adhesive/gel (not pixels) to discolor: Oxidization. A bad seal around the border of the screen causing the material to oxidize. The effect seems to start in one corner and creep slowly around the border of the screen, and grow. So, a manufacturing defect. If it was light, it'd not happen in areas shadowed by the bezel. If it was heat, it'd likely happen uniformly; but again, this occurs in cold environments. (Unless the edge lights for the backlight are causing the excessive heat, which has been suggested.)

So perhaps the new screen versions are simply … sealed better around the edges. But none of these proposed non-replacement solutions seem to hold up to scrutiny, and they change week by week. There's been no definitive, stable, reliable line on what the approach is even going to be. I don't think Tesla even knows yet. I think they're still brainstorming, and throwing things to the (screen?) to see what sticks.

In the end, I strongly believe the only fix for this will be a replacement.

Which is why I went ahead and paid for it -- because, see, I have issues -- and which I absolutely do not suggest anyone does. Now we get to wait and see if Tesla fed me a line about the paid replacement being the non-yellowing revision. It had a different part number; not only a different Tesla part number, but a different manufacturer part number. Each day when I get in the car, you can bet I examine the border. So not sure if it was quite the mental therapy I needed.

I know a lot of this information was redundant but I figured summing it up in one post, "the journey so far", probably was warranted.

Aren't the windows UV blocking such that the screen would get very little, if any, UV exposure normally?

Windshield and pano roof / top glass, yes. Side windows, not so much. They seem to pass a lot of UV, but I figure that may even depend on production date. (A loaner S that I had, had visibly colored windows compared to mine.) Measured recently and they passed more than I'd like; that's why I'm getting Huper Optik 70 done in a week or so, but I don't think it'll have any effect on the screen one way or another; other people with similar tint have reported the yellowing.

Yep. In most cases, dealers have an incentive to advocate for you to get defects covered under warranty since they get reimbursed for doing the work. Plus, you can always try a different dealer if you receive subpar service. Since Tesla owns all their service centers it's effectively a monopoly plus service center staff have no incentive to push back on corporate policies / claim denials.

If anything, Tesla's experiment with running their own sales/service centers has served as a case study in why independely owned/operated dealers might still a good thing for consumers. I always took it on faith that manufacturer run sales/service would be superior but that is not proving to be true- especially when compared w/ premium brand dealerships.

When it comes to out of warranty work, dealers do tend to overcharge in my experience. But atleast with other brands there is a robust network of independent shops to choose from.

This yellow display debacle has made me rethink the whole independent dealer situation and realize there are benefits to customers in having independent dealers. I've never had a dealer not fix or drag their feet on a manufacturing defect in a car before.

Reactions: Inside
Here are your possible scenarios:
* Yes, they will replace it with a new 'old screen' for free
* No, they won't replace it with a new 'old screen' for free, those days are gone
* Yes, we'll replace it with a new 'old screen', but that will cost you $1,300
* Yes, they will replace it with the 'newly developed screen'
* No, they won't replace it with a 'newly developed screen' because those new screens don't exist
* Yes, we'll get to 'fixing' your old screen with the newly designed 'vacuum cleaner', currently under development...so hang tight
* Vacuum cleaner? What the hell are you talking about?
* We'll fix it with a UV light. If that doesn't work we can probably give you a nice tan (OK, I made that one up)

I hope that clarifies things for you. ;)

You forgot to add, any one of these will happen "Soon"

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
This yellow display debacle has made me rethink the whole independent dealer situation and realize there are benefits to customers in having independent dealers. I've never had a dealer not fix or drag their feet on a manufacturing defect in a car before.

I think if Tesla actually had a fix that they KNOW works, we wouldn’t be needing this thread.

Yes, Tesla needs to fix it. But to just keep replacing the screens with new ones that have the same problem, is not a good solution. Extremely expensive. They will get it sorted out. They know they have to.

This is happening on a part that is relatively new in the industry. I guess if it came down to it, would people rather have a small screen that a dealer could give you in a different vehicle or a big screen in the Tesla? I’d keep the big screen.

And as others have stated, dealers want to do warranty work since they get paid for it. They don’t do this “as charity for their customers”.

• Love
Reactions: neroden

They certainly do if they know that the manufacturer isn't going to pay for it. They just say not covered under warranty and move on.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and SO16
Well my car is due for service tomorrow and this is the email i got from Tesla:

Good afternoon,

We hope this email finds you well. Your concern regarding the yellowing border you’re currently experiencing has been received. Our engineering team with be releasing a new touchscreen in 2019 to rectify this concern that has been modified with refined components preventing the yellowing border, however they are not yet available. Due to this we are not able to replace your touchscreen on June 5th . We have already documented your VIN as experiencing a yellowing MCU and will contact you as soon as they are released for immediate replacement. We apologize for the inconvenience of the delay and look forward to assisting you upon their release. We will happily rectify your passenger side headlight concern on June 5th .

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful Day!

So there not even giving me an option to replace it at my cost.
They are now just saying its not available and a new touch screen is in development.
So now im wondering if the "C" revisions are even true replacements, or they have already received massive amounts of "hate/threats/i will eat your children" threats that they are now going back to the original responses.

They dont mention anything about the UV, and they don't mention anything about replacing it at my cost on a real working screen.
I guess i will talk to a service adviser tomorrow and find out whats really the truth.

hmm @Naekuh honestly that sounds like they'll be replacing your screen someday. Maybe they don't want to piss off more people by charging them.

But seriously, telling a P100D buyer (I mean that's a REAL Tesla!) to GLHF over this huh? At least they were willing to take my money. Maybe they are kicking this can down the road. Maybe I did pay a good portion of what could have been an extended warranty entirely for a screen that's going to yellow! (cue the cheering/clapping soundtrack)

I tell y'all hwat, you'll all hear about it if it do. And if it does and they present me with yet another invoice, I'll probably go freaking super Saiyan at the service center and you'll see the bright flash and mushroom cloud from sunny California. (Figuratively, Elon. Don't send your assassins.)

Anyways, please tell us what the service advisor says, though I have my doubts as to whether or not this will be "really the truth".

Well my car is due for service tomorrow and this is the email i got from Tesla:

So there not even giving me an option to replace it at my cost.
They are now just saying its not available and a new touch screen is in development.
So now im wondering if the "C" revisions are even true replacements, or they have already received massive amounts of "hate/threats/i will eat your children" threats that they are now going back to the original responses.

They dont mention anything about the UV, and they don't mention anything about replacing it at my cost on a real working screen.
I guess i will talk to a service adviser tomorrow and find out whats really the truth.

Thanks for sharing the news!

IMHO this is the right thing to do and looks like they are going to do the right thing in replacing the defective screens with screens that are clear and not defective. Good to know that we can expect a solution this year.

They likely avoided a a really awful mess for themselves and their customers with this plan to fix this the defective displays right away.

My only lingering question is are they now shipping cars with a display that is no longer defective?

I have, but in my case the solution was to go to a different dealer. It's also worth noting that while dealers do get paid for warranty work, it is not nearly as much as customer pay.

My only lingering question is are they now shipping cars with a display that is no longer defective?

When I paid for my replacement display, I asked three questions:

Me: "If you buy a Model S right now, will the display yellow?"
Tesla: "No, it won't."
Me: "So the display I'm paying for, is it the same one going into the cars that are being sold right now?"
Tesla: "Yes, it is."
Me: "So the display I'm buying just several months into owning this car - it won't yellow, right?"
Tesla: "It is the revised display that is meant to address this problem."

Coolies if Tesla is doing a 180 and nobody else will have to pay. (No, Tesla will not refund me down the line.)

• Informative
When I paid for my replacement display, I asked three questions:

Me: "If you buy a Model S right now, will the display yellow?"
Tesla: "No, it won't."
Me: "So the display I'm paying for, is it the same one going into the cars that are being sold right now?"
Tesla: "Yes, it is."
Me: "So the display I'm buying just several months into owning this car - it won't yellow, right?"
Tesla: "It is the revised display that is meant to address this problem."

I like how on the last question they hedged and said it is meant to address the problem, but they aren't guaranteeing that it does. :eek:

So my appointment was supposed to be on the 7th and this is the message I got via text message from the service center.

"We are reaching out to you from the Tesla ***** Center in regards to your upcoming appointment on June 7th. We recently received news from our Engineering Team in regards to the yellow border that has been appearing around the touchscreen of both our Model S's and X's. According to our Engineers, this issue is actively being worked on and they are in the process of testing a permanent solution since replacing the touchscreen is only a temporary Band-Aid. The issue has been returning even when we replace the touchscreens, so this does not seem to be the correct solution. Once a permanent solution has been released, we will be sure to have you come in to address the issue right away. At this time we will cancel your appointment and email you a copy of this closed repair order."

So I responded now what?

"Hello,
Once the fix is available you'll receive a notice from Tesla :)
Thank you"

• Informative
So my appointment was supposed to be on the 7th and this is the message I got via text message from the service center.

"We are reaching out to you from the Tesla ***** Center in regards to your upcoming appointment on June 7th. We recently received news from our Engineering Team in regards to the yellow border that has been appearing around the touchscreen of both our Model S's and X's. According to our Engineers, this issue is actively being worked on and they are in the process of testing a permanent solution since replacing the touchscreen is only a temporary Band-Aid. The issue has been returning even when we replace the touchscreens, so this does not seem to be the correct solution. Once a permanent solution has been released, we will be sure to have you come in to address the issue right away. At this time we will cancel your appointment and email you a copy of this closed repair order."

So I responded now what?

"Hello,
Once the fix is available you'll receive a notice from Tesla :)
Thank you"
At least they should be consistent with these text messages on the topic. Mine said they were pushing 2019.16.2 to the car, which would fix the pixels within a month. Well, at least I didn't have to wait for that firmware update any longer. But I will re-schedule the service appointment once it's clear the hardware fix is actually ready.

At least they should be consistent with these text messages on the topic. Mine said they were pushing 2019.16.2 to the car, which would fix the pixels within a month. Well, at least I didn't have to wait for that firmware update any longer. But I will re-schedule the service appointment once it's clear the hardware fix is actually ready.

Just realize any software fix for the screens physically turning yellow is complete BS. When you have a yellow tint, you can no longer display certain colors no matter what you do with software.

Looks like they are preparing to do the right thing by replacing the yellow screens with clear screens. Even if it takes them a few months to start replacing screens, I'm totally fine with that.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Just realize any software fix for the screens physically turning yellow is complete BS. When you have a yellow tint, you can no longer display certain colors no matter what you do with software.

Looks like they are preparing to do the right thing by replacing the yellow screens with clear screens. Even if it takes them a few months to start replacing screens, I'm totally fine with that.
Phil, I wish I was as confident as you. ;)

Windshield and pano roof / top glass, yes. Side windows, not so much. They seem to pass a lot of UV, but I figure that may even depend on production date. (A loaner S that I had, had visibly colored windows compared to mine.) Measured recently and they passed more than I'd like; that's why I'm getting Huper Optik 70 done in a week or so, but I don't think it'll have any effect on the screen one way or another; other people with similar tint have reported the yellowing.
I have glasses that darken with UV, they do not darken through either glass in the car (side, front, back, or roof).

• Informative
Reactions: MTOman and MP3Mike