Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know why the VP of sales and service left. I’d only be speculating.
We don't know why he left, we do know Elon took over his job announcing he doesn't need a VP of sales and service. Apparently he thinks it's a job he can do between 30 other jobs he's doing, or maybe he thinks it's not a job that needs doing.

Last edited:
And now after paying to have my MCU screen replaced after it started yellowing after 90 days, now my instrument cluster screen is yellowing.

Car isn't even 6 months old yet.

Sure I'm going to get the same line or worse. Not sure what to do at this point.

And now after paying to have my MCU screen replaced after it started yellowing after 90 days, now my instrument cluster screen is yellowing.

Car isn't even 6 months old yet.

Sure I'm going to get the same line or worse. Not sure what to do at this point.
That’s ridiculous. How come you didn’t choose to wait for screen repair to become a thing? Was it that bad?

That’s ridiculous. How come you didn’t choose to wait for screen repair to become a thing? Was it that bad?

I don't believe screen repair is going to happen. We can argue on that, but I've heard no less than 6 "methods" they're going to use. (Tape, UV, liquid, heat, firmware, top glass replacement.)

Time frame has been pushed out and out.

The supposed "revised" screens (apparently the ones going in to the Raven builds) were at least available. Now they won't even replace them for pay.

It was bad and getting visibly worse by the week.

I still don't think anything is going to be done about this in any meaningful way.

I basically got one while I could. Really upset that the IC has so quickly followed suit.

Good summary. The reality is that Tesla has no consistent messaging on this issue, so service centers are filling in with whatever they can come up with to pacify angry customers. A "firmware fix is coming" is a standard go-to pacifier (I've been a Tesla customer for over 6 years now, so I've heard it many times)
Yeah, that's always a flat-out lie, and they have said it way too often. I eventually got honest service center people who said "We have no idea what's going on with the... people... in the firmware programming department. We're just hoping they'll fix the firmware because we can't."

Edit: I am not paying to fix my car, it removes some of my options to try to force Tesla to fix it under warranty (they might claim for example that they could have fixed it, but customer opted for a new screen instead, and the old screen is long gone since they don't let customers keep them).
Yeah, definitely force them to fix it under warranty. Keep a record of the dates you contacted them (email can be useful for this); most states have laws requiring car manufacturers to do warranty fixes within a certain amount of time, so Tesla will owe you money for violating their legal warranty obligations.

Reactions: DCEV
My 2013 screen was just replaced for the bubbles with a completely different screen, 1158 x1920. I do not have the part number. It is brighter colors and more contrasty as well.
Interestingly, I have the bubbles but I'm just letting them go since they aren't causing any problems and I don't want to allow them to update to the broken version of the software. Maybe by the time the bubbles get disruptive, they'll have fixed the yellowing problem *and* possibly fixed the software problems. I can hope. :eyeroll:

I don't believe screen repair is going to happen. We can argue on that, but I've heard no less than 6 "methods" they're going to use. (Tape, UV, liquid, heat, firmware, top glass replacement.)

Time frame has been pushed out and out.

The supposed "revised" screens (apparently the ones going in to the Raven builds) were at least available. Now they won't even replace them for pay.

It was bad and getting visibly worse by the week.

I still don't think anything is going to be done about this in any meaningful way.

I basically got one while I could. Really upset that the IC has so quickly followed suit.
Is your car kept outside in the sun a lot? Mines kept undercover most of the time when I’m not driving it. I’m a little concerned that it wont start yellowing until the warranty is over, because it’s not exposed to heat very much. I also have a solid metal roof, so it’s not getting direct sunlight as much as most of the other Teslas.

Is your car kept outside in the sun a lot? Mines kept undercover most of the time when I’m not driving it. I’m a little concerned that it wont start yellowing until the warranty is over, because it’s not exposed to heat very much. I also have a solid metal roof, so it’s not getting direct sunlight as much as most of the other Teslas.

No, but most of the folks in the forum here have determined the yellowing isn't from heat and sun. I'm inclined to agree, since my car started yellowing after only existing for 90 days in the Colorado winter.

You have a 2016 - there's a good chance you have one of the earlier screens that didn't yellow. I've had 2013 and 2015 loaners with no yellow, and the screen was switched at some point in 2017. The newer (yellowing) ones have a warmer color temperature backlight, slightly better contrast and color gamut, a less reflective surface -- but the yellowing problem.

No, but most of the folks in the forum here have determined the yellowing isn't from heat and sun. I'm inclined to agree, since my car started yellowing after only existing for 90 days in the Colorado winter.

You have a 2016 - there's a good chance you have one of the earlier screens that didn't yellow. I've had 2013 and 2015 loaners with no yellow, and the screen was switched at some point in 2017. The newer (yellowing) ones have a warmer color temperature backlight, slightly better contrast and color gamut, a less reflective surface -- but the yellowing problem.
December 2016 screens definitely yellowed, so if they changed the part number it was before then.

Reactions: croman
Are you going to pay for that as well? :p:D

I don't know. As far as I know there's likely no revision *or* planned 'magic fix' for this one. No I will not pay for a replacement of the same that will yellow again.

You laugh, but I still firmly believe that we'll never see a warranty or "in-place" fix. What will happen is, those with yellowing screens simply will have to suck up having bought their cars during an unlucky period of time.

We've heard six disparate methods in the last six weeks as to how they're going to fix this, with many saying it will only be temporary, and so far with no concrete timeframe.

With the MCU, I looked at it this way: "Do I want a yellow screen or not?" - You can have faith in Tesla if you want, but this "We have a revision, and I know we said we'd replace it but now we're not going to, and we might have a temporary fix someday but we won't tell you what it is, how it'll work or when it'll hapepn, so suck it up" response, by its very nature, is Tesla not being honest with their customers.

Which method are you betting on? Thermal? Liquid? UV? Tape? Firmware? One layer of glass? We really should have a poll, with 'none of the above' being an option.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, that's always a flat-out lie, and they have said it way too often. I eventually got honest service center people who said "We have no idea what's going on with the... people... in the firmware programming department. We're just hoping they'll fix the firmware because we can't."
Well, it's a little more complicated than that. Sometimes the "firmware is coming" is an actual message from corporate, so the tech or service adviser telling you this is not technically lying - it's the hope and and a prayer that someone at corporate decided to send down. The problem is Elon believes that a Tesla is a "software defined car", meaning he believes anything and everything can be fixed via a software update. Teslas are of course the most software defined cars on the market today, with next no physical controls, but until Elon proves we all live in a giant simulation and he figures out how to hack it, he'll continue to learn and re-learn, that not everything can be fixed via software - yet he will keep on trying rather than admitting he's wrong. The bigger problem may be that he built all his business plans around it, so things like $1,100 a pop screens breaking are actually hurting the bottom line and the only solution he could come up with is "it's cosmetic, not under warranty".

Reactions: Matias
I wonder if the only way this ever gets fixed is if it shows up on Model 3 screens. There might not be enough of our voices to force their hand, but there are going to be hundreds of thousands of M3 voices in the next year or two.

I wonder if the only way this ever gets fixed is if it shows up on Model 3 screens. There might not be enough of our voices to force their hand, but there are going to be hundreds of thousands of M3 voices in the next year or two.
Imagine the bottom line hit to have to replace the screens on M3 scale. This is just another one of Elon's "I know how to build it better, no need for exhaustive testing, ship it, we'll fix it via software" approach. No different than when they started shipping new mirror assemblies late 2016 through early 2017 - a good percentage of them failed in the field (ours failed during delivery), Tesla kept telling the service centers how a firmware will fix it, until few months later new assemblies were produced without the problem. They couldn't claim "only cosmetic" there as bad mirrors would just fold while driving with just a force of the wind.

I get Elon's approach of no testing, ship now and fix later - he gets to claim a lot of victories with this risk taking approach (e.g. Tesla releases cars way faster than traditional manufactures who do exhaustive testing), but he needs to own up to the failures too and pay to fix it when the gamble doesn't work out, not weasel out of it by saying "cosmetic only" or "the car is capable, but not all of it".

Reactions: dhanson865

I've said several times that if this happened with Model 3, we both wouldn't hear the end of it and it'd be fixed lightspeed. The model 3 display doesn't seem to use the 'gel' though, so I doubt it'll yellow.

It does leave Tesla in an odd situation though if anything ever does happen to the Model 3's display. Not sure how they'd justify saying "Only cosmetic, not fixing it" for S/X, but not doing as such for 3. (as we ask over and over again - which is the more premium model, again?)

My 2013 screen was just replaced for the bubbles with a completely different screen, 1158 x1920. I do not have the part number. It is brighter colors and more contrasty as well.

The pre-refresh but post early build screens had this higher resolution. Resolution was downgraded again at refresh. So you got an upgrade, but I would guess it still has the goo lamination, not the yellowing adhesive.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911