Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've considered it, to be fair. I just got the install done, and I did pay for it. The yellowing is gone, but my feeling on Tesla is very.. very.. very ... irritated.

Since you watched them swap the screen out, do you recall if they had to do any type of programming/calibration? or was it pretty much plug and play? Also I know this is probably an additional hassle you don't want to go through but have you considered filing a small claims court case to get your money back? More so for the principal of it and not for the money?

Thanks,

Official TSLA response apparently:

vqgltbz8l8131.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
So is that the definition of "defect" that's in the warranty? Because that's not my definition of defect!

I suspect that they are classifying the yellowing under this exclusion:

General appearance or normal noises and vibrations, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration for which there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement;

So it is a "general appearance" issue. The part is not malfunctioning and doesn't require replacement.

But there is no actual definition of a defect in the warranty document that I could find.

Since you watched them swap the screen out, do you recall if they had to do any type of programming/calibration? or was it pretty much plug and play? Also I know this is probably an additional hassle you don't want to go through but have you considered filing a small claims court case to get your money back? More so for the principal of it and not for the money?

Thanks,

Completely plug and play; the mounting was a bit weird but it was plug and play.

I am considering filing something like that; right now just in the quite bothered 'mulling it over' stage. Some have even suggested disputing on my credit card; but I honestly wonder what Tesla will do to my car and future service if I do. I know that's not a good attitude to have, but I'm sure they're going to try to defend against such things. Hell, I may even lose if I try. If there are any lawyers on this board.... I'd be interested in having a talk.

Disputing a credit-card transaction where the company has provided the service/product may affect your credit or cause the financial institution to do something unexpected.
Certainly keep a record of the transaction in case Tesla changes course later either by choice or legal matters.
You could report the issue to NTSA if you think its safety related
For Warranty dispute you can report to state A-G per here

\
Official TSLA response apparently:

vqgltbz8l8131.jpg
You can see lawyers got involved here. The entire statement reads as formulated to avoid lemon law claims (I bet it was a copy paste from some corporate mandate, not written by a local tech or manager). Of course, this will not stop me from trying it anyways if they give me the same answer in 3 weeks when my appointment time comes. Simple analogy, if you buy a TV or a phone, and it yellows, does it affect its function?

Completely plug and play; the mounting was a bit weird but it was plug and play.

I am considering filing something like that; right now just in the quite bothered 'mulling it over' stage. Some have even suggested disputing on my credit card; but I honestly wonder what Tesla will do to my car and future service if I do. I know that's not a good attitude to have, but I'm sure they're going to try to defend against such things. Hell, I may even lose if I try. If there are any lawyers on this board.... I'd be interested in having a talk.
To dispute the credit card you need some reason behind it, like they took YOUR old part even though they were supposed to leave it, therefore the transaction was not completed by them. If they sold it to you are "repair or upgrade" rather than "install replacement part", then you might not be able to do that. Try going through the warranty mediation company listed in the warranty.

Can I just add that in order for everyones complaints to be valid, we need to first let Tesla try and resolve this issue. They maintain they are working on a fix. Until that fix is proven ineffective then I can see their point that people should pay for the screen.

Sure there are arguments for reasonable time, and they are already at the upper limit of that. But that's the only reason I can see for some of this hysteria.

Take a chill pill, let them resolve it, and if they can't then is the time to start making threats and considering legal actions/charge backs.

If you can't wait, and have a spare $1300 lying around, don't let me stop you either.

They adamantly, *adamantly* would not permit me to.
The service center was also adamant about not returning a failed charger I had replaced on my car (citing it was a "restricted" high voltage item).

I was, equally, if not more, adamant that I was not requesting the purchase of the charger. I was demanding property I already owned be returned. After a bit of back and forth on the matter, including their desire to remove some internal parts as well as the serial number (both of which I did not authorize), it was returned to me.

I'd say your screen is in the same category.

Can I just add that in order for everyones complaints to be valid, we need to first let Tesla try and resolve this issue. They maintain they are working on a fix. Until that fix is proven ineffective then I can see their point that people should pay for the screen.

Sure there are arguments for reasonable time, and they are already at the upper limit of that. But that's the only reason I can see for some of this hysteria.

Take a chill pill, let them resolve it, and if they can't then is the time to start making threats and considering legal actions/charge backs.

If you can't wait, and have a spare $1300 lying around, don't let me stop you either.

I don't think so.

They had 6 years to find a proper working screen.

Tesla is not giving any time guarantees. "We are working on it" for years is not reasonable by most people's standards. It doesn't help the situation they are now also saying "this is not covered under warranty at all, so we're doing you a favor if we fix it" - that official stance combined with lack of any timelines and the fact that they've been unsuccessful at resolving this for years now, is why people are getting upset. Is it really difficult for you to understand?

PS> Once they take an official "this is not under warranty" stance, they force people to go down some legal paths to declare it otherwise. It's like when a person or a company owes you money, and says they will pay you, you might be tempted to be strung along. But, once they come back with "we decided we owe you nothing, but might give you something sometime before the universe ends" - that is when they force your hand, because if you simply agree to that they owe you nothing, you might lose the ability to sue later.

Last edited:
New Taycan ad, “No cosmetic anomalies..” This is so stupid it won’t last.
It might. Elon counts of people not willing to sue and notice the message is very clear that new cars are not affected, so that it doesn't affect new car sales. He pulled it off when he advertised 691hp for P85D, told everyone that the power update is coming over the air, then for two years radio silence with an exception of JB's try to explain to people that electric horsepower is somehow different than ICE horsepower, then once they had a P100D which does produce the advertised hp, settled the suit in Europe, admitted P85D only produced 463hp, BUT new cars are not affected! Nobody sued them here in the US (that we know of), even though the "P" upgrade was $25K.

It might. Elon counts of people not willing to sue and notice the message is very clear that new cars are not affected, so that it doesn't affect new car sales. He pulled it off when he advertised 691hp for P85D, told everyone that the power update is coming over the air, then for two years radio silence with an exception of JB's try to explain to people that electric horsepower is somehow different than ICE horsepower, then once they had a P100D which does produce the advertised hp, settled the suit in Europe, admitted P85D only produced 463hp, BUT new cars are not affected! Nobody sued them here in the US (that we know of), even though the "P" upgrade was $25K.

Respectfully, the 691hp was not as broadly impacting as the screen issue. The screen issue answer, “cosmetic anomaly,” is like putting lipstick on a pig. The more the issue gets publicized, the more people will see how stupid the lipstick looks, and it’s still a big fat pig. Marketing 101.

Maybe I should reactivate my twitter account and tweet this to Elon..

P.S Elon went to Wharton - I’m sure he knows this

Last edited:
I wonder how long until Dealership Associations pick up on this and weaponize it against Tesla.

"Tesla service sucks! If only they had a robust DEALERSHIP NETWORK to help with service and repair. Dealerships are the customer advocate...blahblahblah."

I wonder how long until Dealership Associations pick up on this and weaponize it against Tesla.

"Tesla service sucks! If only they had a robust DEALERSHIP NETWORK to help with service and repair. Dealerships are the customer advocate...blahblahblah."
That would work if people's experience with dealerships wasn't awful or worse. Here's an anecdote. Our Leaf is now out of warranty. The dealer refuses to honour prepaid service except for wipers and tire rotation. The battery health check is not covered.

• Informative
Reactions: croman