Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, I have the bubbles but I'm just letting them go since they aren't causing any problems and I don't want to allow them to update to the broken version of the software.

In most cases they just replace the screen and no software update is necessary. If you have the bubbles that likely means that you have goo leaking down inside the dash which probably isn't a good thing. (From what I have heard eventually it will come out of the dash.)

Interestingly, I have the bubbles but I'm just letting them go since they aren't causing any problems and I don't want to allow them to update to the broken version of the software. Maybe by the time the bubbles get disruptive, they'll have fixed the yellowing problem *and* possibly fixed the software problems. I can hope. :eyeroll:
In a similar boat.

>>I get Elon's approach of no testing, ship now and fix later - he gets to claim a lot of victories with this risk taking approach (e.g. Tesla releases cars way faster than traditional manufactures who do exhaustive testing), but he needs to own up to the failures too and pay to fix it when the gamble doesn't work out, not weasel out of it by saying "cosmetic only" or "the car is capable, but not all of it".<<

I am a big fan of Musk, but think he's taken on far more than he can handle. Producing a premium car for consumers is different to firing rockets into orbit: the buyers have other options and expect a durable product for their cash.
I have an order for a M3 all set up and on hold, but the screen and handle problems that I read about are making me reconsider.

For AU $160k I do not expect to get a car that has even "cosmetic" issues. A premium price dictates a premium product: one or two examples of an issue is one thing but denying it's an issue at all for hundreds if not thousands is certainly not.

>>I get Elon's approach of no testing, ship now and fix later - he gets to claim a lot of victories with this risk taking approach (e.g. Tesla releases cars way faster than traditional manufactures who do exhaustive testing), but he needs to own up to the failures too and pay to fix it when the gamble doesn't work out, not weasel out of it by saying "cosmetic only" or "the car is capable, but not all of it".<<

I am a big fan of Musk, but think he's taken on far more than he can handle. Producing a premium car for consumers is different to firing rockets into orbit: the buyers have other options and expect a durable product for their cash.
I have an order for a M3 all set up and on hold, but the screen and handle problems that I read about are making me reconsider.

For AU $160k I do not expect to get a car that has even "cosmetic" issues. A premium price dictates a premium product: one or two examples of an issue is one thing but denying it's an issue at all for hundreds if not thousands is certainly not.
The price you pay for something does not dictate the quality. Pay what you think a product is worth. If you paid for something you don’t believe was worth the price you paid isn’t that your fault?

The price you pay for something does not dictate the quality. Pay what you think a product is worth. If you paid for something you don’t believe was worth the price you paid isn’t that your fault?

Maybe you're misinterpreting what he's saying. These issues came up after paying for it and with the promise in the form of a warranty that any defects to rise later would be covered under such promise. In essence, buyers are not getting what they paid for.

Maybe you're misinterpreting what he's saying. These issues came up after paying for it and with the promise in the form of a warranty that any defects to rise later would be covered under such promise. In essence, buyers are not getting what they paid for.
I think there are a couple of different conversations going. I agree a product that breaks needs to be fixed. But just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it is quality. It just means the market is tolerating the pricing. I love my Tesla. But not at brand new prices. I love it at 4 years of depreciation prices. The same issues don’t seem near as bad at a third of the price.

Reactions: re04586
I think there are a couple of different conversations going. I agree a product that breaks needs to be fixed. But just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it is quality. It just means the market is tolerating the pricing. I love my Tesla. But not at brand new prices. I love it at 4 years of depreciation prices. The same issues don’t seem near as bad at a third of the price.

Fair enough, I agree the market dictates pricing.

However, is the market tolerating the pricing? Or is the market just unaware/uneducated of the issues and not factoring it in the pricing?
I fell into the latter category, as I was unaware that the screens were facing such widespread problems, and would certainly have adjusted what i would have been wiling to pay. Perhaps I am guilty of not doing the required research before the purchase, that is on me. But the part where Tesla is not fixing these while clearly defective is on them, and it's really inexcusable considering its been going on for what seems to be almost 2 years now. I have seen recent responses from Tesla dismissing their liability by calling it a cosmetic anomaly - which is ridiculous considering this is the exact opposite of anomaly - its happening in hundreds if not thousands of cars.

Man.. if space X is going to send people to mars in equiptment comparable to our model S i feel sorry and weary of the future...

Can you imagine?

- Mission Control our display screens have a yellow border
- Dont worry about it, its a cosmetic defect.

- Mission control our rockets are starting to buckle internally.
- Dont worry its cosmetic.

- Mission control, our batteries are showing issues with charging and heat
- We are trying to get a firmware update available for you soon as possible.

- Elon our astronauts are complaining of technical issues.
- Tell them its cosmetic and we have a firmware update available soon, until our warranty expires

Man.. if space X is going to send people to mars in equiptment comparable to our model S i feel sorry and weary of the future...
/QUOTE]
Building a handful of rockets with 1-2 year expected lifetime and maintaining quality control is so much easier than building hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year with 10+ year expected lifetime. Even if every screen yellows on a rocket, it's a handful of screen replacements, not thousands.

The pre-refresh but post early build screens had this higher resolution. Resolution was downgraded again at refresh.
So you got an upgrade, but I would guess it still has the goo lamination, not the yellowing adhesive.

Technical summary abstract:

Old screens, pre-refresh - bubbles form resulting in delamination goo.
New screens, post-refresh - yellowing at borders with no real fix in sight.

Pick your poison... :cool:

(Amendment to my post - it's a Model S I have the order held for, not a 3! I've read too many threads on the 3 and it's fixed in my mind!)

I must say I find many of the posts accepting the border issue rather disheartening. I was fully prepared to pay the massive premium for a Tesla Model S as my small contribution to Musk's push to get transport electrified, but expect to get a vehicle that, while perhaps not up to European or Japanese standards of overall finish and engineering at least didn't have "cosmetic" problems that the company wouldn't fix under warranty.

The computer industry has a history of pushing out hardware and software that underperforms or has to have constant fixes and patches, but there we are talking hundreds of dollars, not $160k - big difference.

I don't know. As far as I know there's likely no revision *or* planned 'magic fix' for this one. No I will not pay for a replacement of the same that will yellow again.

You laugh, but I still firmly believe that we'll never see a warranty or "in-place" fix. What will happen is, those with yellowing screens simply will have to suck up having bought their cars during an unlucky period of time.

We've heard six disparate methods in the last six weeks as to how they're going to fix this, with many saying it will only be temporary, and so far with no concrete timeframe.

With the MCU, I looked at it this way: "Do I want a yellow screen or not?" - You can have faith in Tesla if you want, but this "We have a revision, and I know we said we'd replace it but now we're not going to, and we might have a temporary fix someday but we won't tell you what it is, how it'll work or when it'll hapepn, so suck it up" response, by its very nature, is Tesla not being honest with their customers.

Which method are you betting on? Thermal? Liquid? UV? Tape? Firmware? One layer of glass? We really should have a poll, with 'none of the above' being an option.

I'm betting they will replace the screens with a non-defective clear screen or find a horrible mess in their hands.

I don't think this is a matter of faith per se, as sooner or later, they will have to honor the warranty. They can't suddenly claim this is not a warranty defect any more when there is a history of them treating this as a warranty defect with replacements and customers have been told explicitly that they will fix this.

They probably stopped accepting payment from customers to fix this because they realized how awful it looks to have customers foot the bill for a warranty repair. Also it creates a liability because some of those customers may at a later time demand the money back.

They'll have to fix this under warranty. One way or another. My bet is that they will amortize the cost of replacing the defective screens so they do a certain % of them every quarter. Some customers will not care and will not even bring it up and they will end up replacing the defective screens, as they should, for customers for whom this is a major issue.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was told today by the local SC that they are working on a device to fix the problem. I know this is not new....just some detail. This seams to be serious, hard to believe... Apparently it is a big device that covers the whole screen and attached to the dash and below. It is apparently applying heat to the screen. It has been tested and confirmed to fix the issue. They are running a lot more testing to make sure this does not cause damages. SC employees are in Fremont for training...again, thus what I've was told. Again, no tba.

I was told today by the local SC that they are working on a device to fix the problem. I know this is not new....just some detail. This seams to be serious, hard to believe... Apparently it is a big device that covers the whole screen and attached to the dash and below. It is apparently applying heat to the screen. It has been tested and confirmed to fix the issue. They are running a lot more testing to make sure this does not cause damages. SC employees are in Fremont for training...again, thus what I've was told. Again, no tba.
Did you tell them you've heard this story and other stories which turned out to be complete BS? Did they show you any pictures, give you any dates, any tangible specifics at all?

Complete nonsense... :cool:

So the original screens were 1920x1200. I believe the 2nd rev were 1920x1080 (or was it 900?)

Are these better than the 1st revision, or the 2nd?

Thanks...

The new Screen is resolution is actually 1158x1920 :cool:

upload_2019-6-11_20-1-37.png

upload_2019-6-7_20-59-56-png.416940

• Informative
Reactions: croman