TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New screens now available

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rudngo, Apr 19, 2019.

1. buzescu

buzescu Member

We all assumed that the glue is leaking into the screen. what if that yellowing is not from there? I am told there are multiple issues including one that could be fixed through software. the reason sis that the glue is not the problem. the light diffuser of the LCD is the problem. Those are used to diffract light from the LEDs uniformly into the screen. There are several vendors of those diffusers which are usually in the form of a sheet of poly-carbonate (or similar) that has a chemical layer of highly difracting material. Those can develop the yellow color for various reasons. Some UV light applied to this substrate can fix the issue apparently. There is material on internet about this. Again, this is my theory after digging into the light difusing techniques in the LCD\LED pannels.
    The reason we don't have an ETA is because they know a tone of cars will need to be fixed and they need to plan it after serious testing including fixing and waiting to see if it will re-develop the yellow.
    I was glad to learn yesterday that they are not just giving us bull$$t but they are working on it and it is for real. Now.. there is no reason to go blast me about this theory - just go the SC and ask.

• Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 1
  2. Ken7

Ken7 Member

If the above is true, why can I see this yellowing with the car off and the sun hitting the display?

• Like x 6
  3. re04586

re04586 Member

Posted in the X forum as well, took my car in for service and was given a 2018 December S loaner with 3k miles. The border on this thing as absolutely brutal and to think this car is just 6 months old. It looks up the border shows up a lot more in sunlight, although you can still see it in the shade

83883831-6710-41BD-B360-BF5AC2A3AD13.jpeg FA4CCAD3-CE5C-4D6C-9377-CA476FA3B450.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  4. Ken7

Ken7 Member

^ Not far removed for how mine looks. :(

5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

Thank you. That’s the first picture I’ve seen of the yellow border. I thought it would be at least an inch wide.

• Funny x 1
  6. DCEV

DCEV Member

That's how they start and they get bigger and then they have a mind of their own and drive you crazy.

• Informative x 1
  7. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

Mine is still broken and no new information. So sad

8. whitex

whitex Active Member

LOL. Tesla and serious testing of screens? If they wanted to test, they would have done that testing before introducing the screen into production.

What proof you have they are working on it? Have you seen the device, have you seen it work (in person, not on some video like the FSD video for AP2.0)? What SC says has absolutely no credibility as they have said many things int he past which turned out to be just pacifying BS. Or is it that they said the words "for real" this time, so it must be true?

9. whitex

whitex Active Member

Maybe read some thread on the topic. Pictures have been posted before (yea, this has been an issue for a while now, so lots of reading for your pleasure). It sounds like you think anything under an inch wide is not a problem?

10. re04586

re04586 Member

Don't waste your time with him, he likes the border, says it looks "cool".

• Funny x 1
  11. Inside

Inside Member

Do brand new Model S cars (new Raven build) have screens that will turn yellow, or has that issue been fixed for new builds?

• Funny x 1
  12. re04586

re04586 Member

When you consider that service centers are not willing to guarantee screen replacements that you pay for today will not discolor, my guess is that these new builds might also be defective. Just a guess though, i have not seen any raven build owners complain yet.

• Like x 1
  13. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Ravens haven't been around for long....

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Good question... I was told by the local service center that new screens have a 1-year parts and 30-day labor warranty :cool:

15. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. re04586

re04586 Member

Just to be clear, the link provided is for the warranty of replacement parts. This is different from parts included with initial vehicle purchase. These are 2 separate warranties. The replacement parts warranty looks like it has some wiggle room to call it a cosmetic defect, as they use the word “failure” to explain what would be covered.

However, that’s different from the new vehicle warranty.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
    Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The new vehicle warranty covers “defects in the materials” - that’s exactly what this issue is. Unless Tesla plans on hiring Sarah Sanders, they will have a hard time spinning it differently. A cosmetic defect is in fact a defect. I’ve scanned through this new vehicle warranty and I didn’t see any language that would exclude this, nor does it have the same language that’s used in the replacement parts warranty that states it corrects complete failures.

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

I was in the mall today and stopped by the Tesla Gallery/showroom. Was curious what the sales folks were going to say about the screen issue. I got passed to the “technical” sales guy. He said Mobile Service Tech said they’d replace it but then acknowledged that info was a couple months old. He took my contact info and said he’d check further and get back to me. I told him I’d be in the market for a new one in the next 6-12 months but would not buy unless/until the screen issue is fixed. Besides seeking info, I thought it would possibly be helpful to have Sales be reporting back that current owners won’t re-up until this is fixed. If I don’t get a timely reply, I know the assistant store manager - I bought my 1st Tesla from him, so I will ask him.

• Like x 4
  18. DCEV

DCEV Member

If Sarah Sanders is not available, they could always use this guy... :p

• Funny x 3
  19. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

The center screen on my May 2018 MS 100D developed the yellow border 3 days ago. I contacted the local SC about replacing it. They said Tesla is still investigating the issue, so no replacement at this time.

• Informative x 1
  20. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Sadly he died a few years ago, but yes it all sounds familiar doesn't it.