Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all assumed that the glue is leaking into the screen. what if that yellowing is not from there? I am told there are multiple issues including one that could be fixed through software. the reason sis that the glue is not the problem. the light diffuser of the LCD is the problem. Those are used to diffract light from the LEDs uniformly into the screen. There are several vendors of those diffusers which are usually in the form of a sheet of poly-carbonate (or similar) that has a chemical layer of highly difracting material. Those can develop the yellow color for various reasons. Some UV light applied to this substrate can fix the issue apparently. There is material on internet about this. Again, this is my theory after digging into the light difusing techniques in the LCD\LED pannels.
The reason we don't have an ETA is because they know a tone of cars will need to be fixed and they need to plan it after serious testing including fixing and waiting to see if it will re-develop the yellow.
I was glad to learn yesterday that they are not just giving us bull$$t but they are working on it and it is for real. Now.. there is no reason to go blast me about this theory - just go the SC and ask.

Posted in the X forum as well, took my car in for service and was given a 2018 December S loaner with 3k miles. The border on this thing as absolutely brutal and to think this car is just 6 months old. It looks up the border shows up a lot more in sunlight, although you can still see it in the shade

83883831-6710-41BD-B360-BF5AC2A3AD13.jpeg FA4CCAD3-CE5C-4D6C-9377-CA476FA3B450.jpeg

Posted in the X forum as well, took my car in for service and was given a 2018 December S loaner with 3k miles. The border on this thing as absolutely brutal and to think this car is just 6 months old. It looks up the border shows up a lot more in sunlight, although you can still see it in the shade

View attachment 418629 View attachment 418630
Thank you. That’s the first picture I’ve seen of the yellow border. I thought it would be at least an inch wide.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
The reason we don't have an ETA is because they know a tone of cars will need to be fixed and they need to plan it after serious testing including fixing and waiting to see if it will re-develop the yellow.
LOL. Tesla and serious testing of screens? If they wanted to test, they would have done that testing before introducing the screen into production.

I was glad to learn yesterday that they are not just giving us bull$$t but they are working on it and it is for real. Now.. there is no reason to go blast me about this theory - just go the SC and ask.
What proof you have they are working on it? Have you seen the device, have you seen it work (in person, not on some video like the FSD video for AP2.0)? What SC says has absolutely no credibility as they have said many things int he past which turned out to be just pacifying BS. Or is it that they said the words "for real" this time, so it must be true?

Do brand new Model S cars (new Raven build) have screens that will turn yellow, or has that issue been fixed for new builds?

When you consider that service centers are not willing to guarantee screen replacements that you pay for today will not discolor, my guess is that these new builds might also be defective. Just a guess though, i have not seen any raven build owners complain yet.

Reactions: croman
When you consider that service centers are not willing to guarantee screen replacements that you pay for today will not discolor, my guess is that these new builds might also be defective. Just a guess though, i have not seen any raven build owners complain yet.

Good question... I was told by the local service center that new screens have a 1-year parts and 30-day labor warranty :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: croman and re04586
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Touch Screens and Micro Controllers have 4 years - Tesla has been hiding behind this as a consmetic defect so far as the screen still works, not sure if they will fix there stance any time soon...

Just to be clear, the link provided is for the warranty of replacement parts. This is different from parts included with initial vehicle purchase. These are 2 separate warranties. The replacement parts warranty looks like it has some wiggle room to call it a cosmetic defect, as they use the word “failure” to explain what would be covered.

However, that’s different from the new vehicle warranty.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The new vehicle warranty covers “defects in the materials” - that’s exactly what this issue is. Unless Tesla plans on hiring Sarah Sanders, they will have a hard time spinning it differently. A cosmetic defect is in fact a defect. I’ve scanned through this new vehicle warranty and I didn’t see any language that would exclude this, nor does it have the same language that’s used in the replacement parts warranty that states it corrects complete failures.

I was in the mall today and stopped by the Tesla Gallery/showroom. Was curious what the sales folks were going to say about the screen issue. I got passed to the “technical” sales guy. He said Mobile Service Tech said they’d replace it but then acknowledged that info was a couple months old. He took my contact info and said he’d check further and get back to me. I told him I’d be in the market for a new one in the next 6-12 months but would not buy unless/until the screen issue is fixed. Besides seeking info, I thought it would possibly be helpful to have Sales be reporting back that current owners won’t re-up until this is fixed. If I don’t get a timely reply, I know the assistant store manager - I bought my 1st Tesla from him, so I will ask him.

Just to be clear, the link provided is for the warranty of replacement parts. This is different from parts included with initial vehicle purchase. These are 2 separate warranties. The replacement parts warranty looks like it has some wiggle room to call it a cosmetic defect, as they use the word “failure” to explain what would be covered.

However, that’s different from the new vehicle warranty.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The new vehicle warranty covers “defects in the materials” - that’s exactly what this issue is. Unless Tesla plans on hiring Sarah Sanders, they will have a hard time spinning it differently. A cosmetic defect is in fact a defect. I’ve scanned through this new vehicle warranty and I didn’t see any language that would exclude this, nor does it have the same language that’s used in the replacement parts warranty that states it corrects complete failures.

If Sarah Sanders is not available, they could always use this guy... :p