Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what the point is. Still ridiculous how some are just going chicken little on this without knowing all the facts and knowing if Tesla has a permanent fix or not.

To expect the company to replace the part for several thousand dollars with many thousands of vehicles when it is known that the new part also has the same problem, is asking a lot. Yes morally they should do it. But perhaps we should be a bit reasonable on the outcome at this point in time. That’s all I’m saying. Some people and their expectations of NOW NOW NOW for everything is a bit much.
Keep in mind this is a problem several of these people have had for YEARS. It's not as if this showed up two weeks ago and Tesla is only asking for a few weeks to fix it.
NOW NOW NOW is not really accurate there. I have had the yellowing for 5 months now, greater then 30% of the time I had the car, that is quite unreasonable for a warranty item.

I know what the point is. Still ridiculous how some are just going chicken little on this without knowing all the facts and knowing if Tesla has a permanent fix or not.

To expect the company to replace the part for several thousand dollars with many thousands of vehicles when it is known that the new part also has the same problem, is asking a lot. Yes morally they should do it. But perhaps we should be a bit reasonable on the outcome at this point in time. That’s all I’m saying. Some people and their expectations of NOW NOW NOW for everything is a bit much.

Tesla asked us to wait for a fix, we waited. Now Tesla is trying to state that there is no problem and no warranty coverage. But, it's all OK because they will provide a band-aid solution...out of the goodness of their hearts. How in gods name do you consider this reasonable?

Keep in mind that Tesla is losing in arbitration, a process that is heavily stacked against the consumer.

Reactions: spectrum
Some people and their expectations of NOW NOW NOW for everything is a bit much.
Expecting your vehicle manufacturer to fix a material defect promptly and under warranty is now "a bit much"? It's sad how owning a Tesla has significantly lowered your expectations about the vehicle ownership experience. Wow.

Expecting your vehicle manufacturer to fix a material defect promptly and under warranty is now "a bit much"? It's sad how owning a Tesla has significantly lowered your expectations about the vehicle ownership experience. Wow.

No. If the manufacturer actually had a real permanent fix, then I’d see your point. My point is that Tesla doesn’t yet have a viable PERMANENT solution at this time.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is a problem several of these people have had for YEARS. It's not as if this showed up two weeks ago and Tesla is only asking for a few weeks to fix it.
NOW NOW NOW is not really accurate there. I have had the yellowing for 5 months now, greater then 30% of the time I had the car, that is quite unreasonable for a warranty item.

If Tesla had a real fix and the fix was to do a replacement, then I’d see your point. But Tesla still has the issue not figured out yet. And to swap out a many thousand dollar device KNOWING it will have the same problem again, is financial suicide.

Yes, it is taking too long and in the cases where it is major yellowing, Tesla should fix ASAP. But I suspect that many do not have major yellowing and are yet raising hell.

Tesla asked us to wait for a fix, we waited. Now Tesla is trying to state that there is no problem and no warranty coverage. But, it's all OK because they will provide a band-aid solution...out of the goodness of their hearts. How in gods name do you consider this reasonable?

Keep in mind that Tesla is losing in arbitration, a process that is heavily stacked against the consumer.

Have you had the fix? Did it take care of your issue? Do you know if it will return? If so, when?

The only things we know is that Tesla doesn’t have a permanent fix yet. Yes, the communication once again from Tesla is horrible. But to expect a full screen swap with another faulty screen that can have the same problem occur again in 6 months, is financial suicide for them.

Things will probably change 50 times between now and one year from now in regards to these screens.

But Tesla still has the issue not figured out yet. And to swap out a many thousand dollar device KNOWING it will have the same problem again, is financial suicide.
The screens are, presumably, warranted by the vendor who manufactures them and Tesla sends it back to them. Tesla's financial exposure is limited to administrative costs, nothing more. Unless Tesla is using the part out-of-spec and cannot return the yellowing screens. That is the only circumstance where I can see Tesla experiencing "financial suicide", and one where Tesla specified the wrong part for its use case. It's starting to smell like the latter.

The screens are, presumably, warranted by the vendor who manufactures them and Tesla sends it back to them. Tesla's financial exposure is limited to administrative costs, nothing more. Unless Tesla is using the part out-of-spec and cannot return the yellowing screens. That is the only circumstance where I can see Tesla experiencing "financial suicide", and one where Tesla specified the wrong part for its use case. It's starting to smell like the latter.

Pure speculation. Besides, the manufacturer would also then be in the same situation as far as exorbitant costs whilst not fixing the issue.

Last edited:
Have you had the fix? Did it take care of your issue? Do you know if it will return? If so, when?

The only things we know is that Tesla doesn’t have a permanent fix yet. Yes, the communication once again from Tesla is horrible. But to expect a full screen swap with another faulty screen that can have the same problem occur again in 6 months, is financial suicide for them.

Things will probably change 50 times between now and one year from now in regards to these screens.

Do you have answers to your own questions? I know what I was told by a representative of Tesla and what I have on their company letterhead. The bottom line is that words matter and they will reap what they sow.

Tesla, not TSLA!

Reactions: PhilDavid
Do you have answers to your own questions? I know what I was told by a representative of Tesla and what I have on their company letterhead. The bottom line is that words matter and they will reap what they sow.

Tesla, not TSLA!

I do not. Which is why I’m not going to freak out over it at this point in time.

As far as the representative telling you something today means nothing. We have seen that in this thread. The letterhead, sure you can bring that to court and get a new screen which will give you a TEMPORARY reprieve.

I do not. Which is why I’m not going to freak out over it at this point in time.

As far as the representative telling you something today means nothing. We have seen that in this thread. The letterhead, sure you can bring that to court and get a new screen which will give you a TEMPORARY reprieve.

You are absolutely correct that I would win in court, as we are seeing now with arbitration rulings. Again, words matter!

Tesla, not TSLA!

Reactions: PhilDavid
Pure speculation. Besides, the manufacturer would also then be in the same situation as far as exorbitant costs whilst not fixing the issue.
Tesla's supplier would not be in a position to dictate terms if it were their fault, and Tesla would be more than happy to publicly point the finger at their vendor if it would take any heat off Tesla. That's not what they are doing.

Tesla's supplier would not be in a position to dictate terms if it were their fault, and Tesla would be more than happy to publicly point the finger at their vendor if it would take any heat off Tesla. That's not what they are doing.

Remember it isn't the screen, or the touch panel, that is failing. It is the glue that was used to put them together. We don't know who did that for Tesla, or if they did it themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
What about all the new Model S and X cars that have been rolling off the assembly lines since this problem became apparent in 2018 (or earlier)? Do you think Tesla is selling cars with a known defect? I do not, which means there may be screens which do not have this problem. The opposite of this theory, selling cars with a known defect, is even worse.

What Tesla supposedly stated in this arbitration case is very interesting:
Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

My screen is not a small cosmetic problem, and I know I am not alone in having a screen this bad. It troubles me when I hear reports of Tesla claiming this is a cosmetic problem and normal wear and tear as they did in this arbitration case they lost.

IMG_0430.jpeg

Last edited:
What about all the new Model S and X cars that have been rolling off the assembly lines since this problem became apparent in 2018 (or earlier)? Do you think Tesla is selling cars with a known defect? I do not, which means there may be screens which do not have this problem. The opposite of this theory, selling cars with a known defect, is even worse.

What Tesla supposedly stated in this arbitration case is very interesting:
Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

My screen is not a small cosmetic problem, and I know I am not alone in having a screen this bad. It troubles me when I hear reports of Tesla claiming this is a cosmetic problem and normal wear and tear as they did in this arbitration case they lost.

View attachment 425974

They let cars with known air suspension issues roll out of the factory (before Raven) so I would not be surprised that they knowingly rolled out defective screens.

They let cars with known air suspension issues roll out of the factory (before Raven) so I would not be surprised that they knowingly rolled out defective screens.

Except we have yet to hear of any 2019 cars with yellow screens and we know the defective screens change color in about 6 months.

I feel they fixed this issue towards the end of 2018 and this is the reason we have yet to hear of any 11/2018+ cars having this issue.

I wish we could figure out the part number of the MCU for the 2019 cars so we could determine if there was a revision.