Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla AP 2.0 Self Driving video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the part at the end had me thinking. What is the AP going to do if it comes up to a human directing traffic? Is it going to understand a police officer or a crossing guard telling it to wait or go? Of course if they stand in it's way, it's going to stop, otherwise isn't it just going to try to drive on? Is it going to understand a parking attendant telling it to park in a particular space?

So the part at the end had me thinking. What is the AP going to do if it comes up to a human directing traffic? Is it going to understand a police officer or a crossing guard telling it to wait or go? Of course if they stand in it's way, it's going to stop, otherwise isn't it just going to try to drive on? Is it going to understand a parking attendant telling it to park in a particular space?

Interpreting hand motions should not be to difficult in the grand scheme of things. Have seen the type of interpreting on a DJI Mavik. Worst comes to worst the Parking Attendant can just get out of the way and let the car do its thing.

That video really is astonishing. It's far better of a demo than the video originally released in October showing the potential.

My car doesn't deliver until next month and I chose not to include FSD with my purchase thinking Tesla was still very far away from the capabilities. Perhaps I should reconsider before I take delivery to save the $1,000 post delivery penalty to enable it.

My car doesn't deliver until next month and I chose not to include FSD with my purchase thinking Tesla was still very far away from the capabilities. Perhaps I should reconsider before I take delivery to save the $1,000 post delivery penalty to enable it.

I wonder if this was a demo of EAP or FSD? (They are only showing three cameras, and EAP only uses 4 with two of them being forward facing...)

interesting time points:

0:43 cyclist drives in front of the car without stopping at the stop sign

2:18 white dog isn't dedected as an object... or is there even a second one in black? poor dog, if he runs on the street...

I wonder if this was a demo of EAP or FSD? (They are only showing three cameras, and EAP only uses 4 with two of them being forward facing...)
As others have noted it is definitely FSD, as to the 3 cameras shown in the video they are just selected examples of the data stream, if all 8 cameras were shown along with the main view the screen would be crowded with little boxes and too confusing. Obviously in FSD all 8 cameras are in use.

Reactions: BG121
This video is consistent with the NVIDIA video demos of the hardware they've been showing.

It is amazing how quickly things accelerated in this last couple of years through machine learning and NVIDIA graphic chips which are now being used for parallel computing (which enables the learning faster than previous)

So it is right to be surprised, but yes, this is what it is, because it went from "hard problem never to be really solved" to "actually quite possible now" in about two years.

And Tesla is the only company right now at the right time in the right spot to capitalize on this tech leap.

This video was of course selected to show a successful FSD drive, I'm sure there have been many that did not go as smoothly. That said, what is shown is very impressive and demonstrates how much progress Tesla has made. Tesla is likely to be ready to release FSD to owners well before regulatory approval is granted in most places. But in California Google has been legally operating fully autonomous cars for several years now. It seems possible that California will be one of the first places where Tesla FSD will be allowed.

Once people get used to riding in fully autonomous cars (and I don't think it will take very long to get used to them) they will look back in wonder at the days when failure-prone humans were allowed to control vehicles weighing thousands of pounds and moving at very high speeds with tanks full of highly flammable liquids. It will seem insane to future generations.

This video was of course selected to show a successful FSD drive, I'm sure there have been many that did not go as smoothly. That said, what is shown is very impressive and demonstrates how much progress Tesla has made. Tesla is likely to be ready to release FSD to owners well before regulatory approval is granted in most places. But in California Google has been legally operating fully autonomous cars for several years now. It seems possible that California will be one of the first places where Tesla FSD will be allowed.

Once people get used to riding in fully autonomous cars (and I don't think it will take very long to get used to them) they will look back in wonder at the days when failure-prone humans were allowed to control vehicles weighing thousands of pounds and moving at very high speeds with tanks full of highly flammable liquids. It will seem insane to future generations.

I think there are actually many states where the law would not prohibit a fully autonomous car as long as a licensed driver is in the driver's seat. It would be more than worth $4,000 to have a car that can drive itself, even if you have to pay attention and be ready to take over. It seems at least possible that Tesla will be able to release this functionality ahead of the regulatory framework being in place for not having a licensed driver in the driver seat.

While I understand that this is just a demo of current state of the FSD, it does show a lot of mistakes the car made and some of them were pretty serious. At 0:31 it got into a hazard situation when taking a left turn while the car in the opposite lane was taking a right turn. While it was following the rules, it could potentially result in an accident. It did stop in the middle of the intersection, because of that. At 00:40 seconds the car randomly stopped (possibly to let the bicycle through, although it's hard to tell). At 1:31 it randomly stopped in the middle of the road, I guess because it saw pedestrians that were too close the the road, although they are clearly on the side-walk. At 1:41 it seems to overshoot it's turn and had to come to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection. At 2:33 it actually got onto the wrong side of the road while take a right turn and had to come to a complete stop in the middle of the busy intersection. And it's really hard to tell what is going on in the parking lot.
Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive what Tesla managed to accomplish in a short period of time. But it also shows that FSD is pretty far from being done.

P.S. Times are based on the longer version: Full Self-Driving Demonstration

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100