Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a new Tesla Destination Charger in the Horsham PA area and just curious if charging speeds are different between using the standard Tesla charger or the j-1772 with the adapter. This is the first Tesla labeled charger with a j-1772 that I have seen so was curious. I leave my adaptor in my model 3 but wasn’t sure if I should carry it around in my model x. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question!
1A03ABBD-AD15-4060-B8E2-2F53C2A9CA9A.jpeg 33951929-0AB9-442A-A7E2-0AC2D85F96ED.jpeg

Looks to be standard High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) to me. They can be set internally at the time of install to work with any circuit from 15A all the way up to 100A (80% of that number for sustained draw) based on what the supply wiring and breaker are capable of.

Short of looking in the breaker panel if you have access or asking someone who knows there's really no way to know what the amperage the circuit is until you plug a car in that's capable of higher draw. If your car is capable of "only" 40A or 48A it will likely provide your maximum speed which is going to be similar to the standard Tesla charger (UMC) you asked about. If you have a car capable of 72A/80A then you may be able to manually adjust your draw higher to find out if they used a higher supply for that circuit. The Tesla itself will also test and set the charge rate it's capable of based on the car as well as the charger.

Of note, all Teslas are capable of MUCH higher charge speeds on Superchargers as it's a DC connection that bypasses the AC chargers onboard and puts energy directly into the battery pack via much higher power circuits.

This post leaves out a lot of technical details and includes a lot of generalities in an attempt to make it easier to understand. If you wish to learn further details you can search around the forum and internet as this topic has been covered with tons of details a lot over the years.

That setup is pretty interesting. Tesla does make a wall connector that has a J1772 handle instead of their proprietary Tesla plug handle. This installation has one of each.
And no, there wouldn't be any charging speed difference based on the handle type. The wall connectors are just relays that connect the circuit wiring in to the charger that is built in onboard the car. So the charging speed is based on those two factors: how much power is available from the circuit, and how much of that power the onboard charger can use. It can be limited by either one.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
That setup is pretty interesting. Tesla does make a wall connector that has a J1772 handle instead of their proprietary Tesla plug handle. This installation has one of each.
And no, there wouldn't be any charging speed difference based on the handle type. The wall connectors are just relays that connect the circuit wiring in to the charger that is built in onboard the car. So the charging speed is based on those two factors: how much power is available from the circuit, and how much of that power the onboard charger can use. It can be limited by either one.
I had thought so, too. But in another thread on the matter @miimura pointed out to me that the cables used on the J1172 HPWCs are thinner than the ones used with the normal, Tesla-connector HPWCs and that their rating is lower. If you look closely at the pictures at the top of the thread, this difference is quite noticeable. And it's also is borne out by a check of the manual for the J1772 HPWC, which is clear that it's limited to 40 amps (see picture below originally sourced from a reddit post by /u/ThePatronSaitOfRock). I'm not sure whether the 40A that the manual cover shows is the total circuit max (i.e. 32A effective for continuous duty) or is the 80% continuous duty max (i.e. actually on a 50A circuit). Whether there is any charging speed difference between the two EVSE in this particular instance will depend on whether the Tesla connector one is on a circuit that would allow charging at over 40A.

Akmn3U2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: miimura
I would like to know how to buy one of these and whether it supports load sharing.
My understanding was that Tesla didn't sell them, they only use them for the Destination/Workplace Charging programs or at some Superchargers where they are adding universal L2. But I think the basis for this understanding may be just because it isn't listed or available through their online shop and most people don't even know it exists. However, it is listed in their parts catalog! HERE (requires logging in to access, but it's only name and email entry, no confirmation needed, + choosing a password). So, maybe it can be ordered through a Service Center even if you can't order it online:

Part: Gen II Wall Connector 40A 1P 24FT - J1772 Plug
Part #: 1050074-01-C
Restriction: Not For Resale
Unit Price: Contact
Quantity: 1

Also, since I see that the normal HPWC is listed as 80A when you can install them on a 100A circuit, I think that shows the 40A of the J1772 is likely also the continuous duty limit (i.e. can probably be placed on 50A circuit).

Re: load sharing; I would be pretty surprised if it didn't behave the same as the normal model just with a lower power limit.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The "Restriction: Not For Resale" does not look promising. Anyway, my Leviton 40A EVSE is working fine since they changed the board under warranty, so I hopefully won't need one anytime soon.
I don't think that's an issue, all the HPWC models and parts say that. Pretty sure it only means that you aren't supposed to buy it from Tesla just to sell it to someone else. Like, no buying up lots of them and then reselling on Ebay or Amazon.

My understanding was that Tesla didn't sell them, they only use them for the Destination/Workplace Charging programs or at some Superchargers where they are adding universal L2.

Even if Tesla won't sell you one, Quick Charge Power offers something very similar, in both 40A (for $699) and 80A (for $849) varieties, as well as a Mobile Connector with J1772 plug for $599. These are obviously modified stock Tesla EVSEs. Among other things, the J1772 plug is different from what's shown in the photos above, and it holsters to the EVSE in a different way. The same company sells parted-out Tesla plugs and cables, so it looks like they buy up Tesla Wall Connectors and Mobile Connectors, swap out the Tesla plug/cable assembles for J1772 equivalents, and sell the parted-out plug/cable assemblies and resulting Wall Connectors with J1772 plugs. If you trust Quick Charge Power to do this work, then this might be an option if you want, say, a Wall Connector with a J1772 plug for power sharing to charge a Tesla and a non-Tesla EV in one garage, or if you want a more-capable portable EVSE than what comes with most non-Tesla EVs. OTOH, the prices on these "Frankenstein" Tesla EVSEs is rather high.