Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Abby, Dear Abby, my fountain pen leaks
My wife hollers at me and my kids are all freaks
Every side I get up on is the wrong side of bed
If it weren't so expensive I'd wish I were dead
Signed Unhappy

Unhappy, Unhappy, you have no complaint ...
You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up buster listen up good
Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood

This fits, everything correct

OK so you are in a unique position to make a call here. You are familiar with the area where the OP parked. You are familiar with the possible pitfalls of mis-identifying your car in a mall. So, in your expert opinion, how likely is it that somebody parks their car on a street near the Half Moon Bay beach, and then manages to find their way back to a completely different car? I would imagine there are plenty of Teslas in Half Moon Bay, but how difficult would it be to not even know what street you parked on when you got out to walk to the beach?
This happened to me just last week with a rental nissan in West Palm Beach. I parked my rental, went to the restaurant, had dinner, came out, went to my silver nissan, grabbed thr door handle and started tugging on it. With the key in my pocket it was supposed to open up, but it did not. Luckily, I pulled out the key and hit the unlock button. The nissan 2 parking spots away flashed lights. Oooops!!!

Calling Tesla Service can also be an issue. They don't answer phones nor return messages from personal experience. Also, I still have my key card when I go to the beach because I still need my wallet (driver's license, etc.).

This happened to me just last week with a rental nissan in West Palm Beach. I parked my rental, went to the restaurant, had dinner, came out, went to my silver nissan, grabbed thr door handle and started tugging on it. With the key in my pocket it was supposed to open up, but it did not. Luckily, I pulled out the key and hit the unlock button. The nissan 2 parking spots away flashed lights. Oooops!!!
When I was in junior high school my neighbor a few years older than me worked at a restaurant in a local mall.
He left worked used his key to get into " his" red Chevy Vega. Used his other key to start it and drove home.
When he parked it he went to get something out of the glove compartment and it wasn't there. Other things he didn't recognize were there though.
He figured out it wasn't his car Drove back to work and sure enough there was another Red Chevy Vega there.
HIS

Amusing relevant incident TODAY. Went and picked up a bud (in my Tesla MY). Drove to the restaurant for breakfast. Return to car. Can't get it. Phone on, Tesla app showing.

Fiddle with app a bit. Give up, remove Tesla "key" from wallet, enter car and drive off.

After dropping buddy off pull over and fiddled with the Android phone (Pixel 3A) and the Tesla main screen. All good now (not sure what happened, or even what I did right!).

Stuff happens.

Rich

Reactions: enemji and AquaY
Amusing relevant incident TODAY. Went and picked up a bud (in my Tesla MY). Drove to the restaurant for breakfast. Return to car. Can't get it. Phone on, Tesla app showing.

Fiddle with app a bit. Give up, remove Tesla "key" from wallet, enter car and drive off.

After dropping buddy off pull over and fiddled with the Android phone (Pixel 3A) and the Tesla main screen. All good now (not sure what happened, or even what I did right!).

Stuff happens.

Rich
Are you sure you are in the right car🤷‍♂️

Stuff happens.

Rich

I came out of that same restaurant to see you driving away in my car. Dude, come back here!!

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79
When I rented a blue Tesla in LA more than once I walked up to my white Model 3. I caught myself before I tried to open it in all cases. In LA there are so many of them I'd probably tie a ribbon to mine to distinguish it, like we do with luggage at the airport since every black bag looks alike. Here in Brooklyn there are never any others around so not a problem.

You are losing me here, sorry. I was not there, but have never heard anyone say a tesla representative said to them "You dont need that keycard, the phone works 100% of the time so no need to carry it".

You can fit it in your wallet / purse in the same place you carry a drivers license. Even if you dont carry credit cards or they are all digital, you still have to have a physical drivers license, and wherever you put that, you can put the keycard, regardless of "what tesla said".

Where you lose me, frankly, is, the lack of personal accountability. You chose to not take the keycard, regardless of what someone else said. The attempt to evade your own responsibility here is where I start to lose some sympathy for your situation.

Not to be argumentative- just giving alternate POV…

The sales guy that pitched my wife on Tesla said the key cards weren’t necessary. If someone steals her purse she’s SOL either way. So she refuses to carry the cards.

So, is the moral of the story, Tesla needs to make more shades, since the need to reduce color options, way back at end of 2018 has diminished? They've got 4 vehicle factories now. Mine is light silver, and that's great because I don't see very many of those, but it must be annoying for those driving any other color.

Reactions: TSteve

The sales guy that pitched my wife on Tesla said the key cards weren’t necessary. If someone steals her purse she’s SOL either way. So she refuses to carry the cards.
Okay, a couple more redundant backup idea to add to the list way back on Page 2 of this thread. How about putting a keycard inside one of those magnetic key holders, and then placing it inside a wheel well, hiding it behind the liner? Or put it in a plastic sleeve zip tied to the cable attached to the front tow eye?

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi

2 things:
1) How is that different than if her purse is stolen with her keyfob to an older car?
2) If her purse is stolen she can deactivate the card easily and get a replacement.
Why would she keep both cards in her purse too?

2 things:
1) How is that different than if her purse is stolen with her keyfob to an older car?
2) If her purse is stolen she can deactivate the card easily and get a replacement.
Why would she keep both cards in her purse too?

Sorry I should have said she refuses to use the cards period. They’re sitting in a junk drawer at home, and only were used to pair with her phone. The Tesla sales rep said she wouldn’t have to carry her Tesla key cards ever.

If her purse and phone are stolen, then she can’t get Tesla roadside anyway or get into her car.

Yes this is different than the old days with key fobs. But to her that’s a Tesla USP, where no card ever = good.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and AquaY
from the first day I got my model 3LR, last September, I paired my phone, I put the Tesla card in my wallet, and my key fob is hanging with my house keys. While I got 2 or 3 times no connection with my phone, I was Always able to enter the car.
never had to use any kind of assistance, never had a flat, never got in any kind of problems. It’s the most enjoyable car I had. No stress with high petrol prices (Europe) no fuss with revision, brakes or oil change…
Im just saving money day after day while driving it.
last September I roughly paid about 50’000 brand new. That was the perfect deal.
Next week I will test drive a new model Y performance from Germany, just for the fun, and to check the build quality. (I prefer the M3 form and acceleration.)
My M3 is from China and flawless. radar+vision, usb data, lumbar for both front seats. Happy customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.