Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no. I was hoping this was the fix. Will you book it in now to get diagnosed RCM looked at?
I took it in yesterday, they didn’t mention anything about RCM, but they did say it’s a 3rd party app that is keeping it from sleeping. I don’t use any.

Is it possible for someone else to have my car registered to their account? I don’t have time today, but my next step is doing a factory reset.

No just change your password and that would lock everyone out but you. Suspect that’s not the cause. When u update the car or reset it don’t drive and see if it sleeps. Then drive it. If the issue goes away then comes back you have the same issue as rest of us.

Oh boy. I messaged Tesla service TWICE (once Friday and once Saturday) that they have to charge my car before it goes dead. They agreed they would charge it when it needed it. THEY DIDN"T and they don't work on Sundays. 2 hours ago, the car had 19 miles left. When I saw that, I killed the Tesla app on my iPhone. Now, 2 hours later, it has 15 miles left. I would have expected to still be at 19. I've killed all the processes running on my phone. But now, due to Tesla's inability to charge my car up when they said they would, it'll probably be at 0 miles (DEAD) tomorrow. What effect does that 0 miles left have on my batteries??

Oh boy. I messaged Tesla service TWICE (once Friday and once Saturday) that they have to charge my car before it goes dead. They agreed they would charge it when it needed it. THEY DIDN"T and they don't work on Sundays. 2 hours ago, the car had 19 miles left. When I saw that, I killed the Tesla app on my iPhone. Now, 2 hours later, it has 15 miles left. I would have expected to still be at 19. I've killed all the processes running on my phone. But now, due to Tesla's inability to charge my car up when they said they would, it'll probably be at 0 miles (DEAD) tomorrow. What effect does that 0 miles left have on my batteries??
Probably nothing. Worst case scenario, your LV battery dies (then Tesla SC will have to jump it or replace it). Teslas have a bottom buffer (0% as indicated to end user is not actually 0% inside the pack) to prevent the HV battery pack from over-discharging. Once the 12V dies, there will be no vampire draw left, so it won't be able to drain further.

This was there since the Model S days, and Model 3/Y are even more advanced.
Plug It In | Tesla

You still don't want to leave it at 0% for weeks or months (although it has been demonstrated to recover gracefully even in that case, as per below case where a body shop left it for months at 0%), but a day is nothing.

M3 been in bodyshop for 5+ months - both batteries dead

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thx for that 0 miles info.

Re: Tesla app. I put my phone in airplane mode on thursday night, and the car (at Tesla Service) lost 0 miles overnight. That was a revelation BUT...

Last night, I killed the Tesla app. I expected the miles to stay stationary, BUT that did not happen. I had 13 miles last night, and 8 miles 4 hours ago. So I put my phone in airplane mode (even tho the Tesla app wasn't running at all). And now it has 4 miles. This is the strangest thing. Still losing ~1 MPH, but the Tesla app wasn't running. Now i'm beginning to think it's a Tesla car software problem, or a combination of the Tesla car software and the Tesla iPhone app. The Tesla iPhone app appears to contribute to the cause, but something else also appears to be interfering and keeping the car awake. Why thousands of people don't have this problem is a mystery to me, you would think this would be more widespread (or are people just accepting this loss as normal as per Tesla propaganda?)

After this started happening 3 weeks ago, I have ONLY driven the car 3 times to charge (~52 miles) and then 18 miles to Tesla service, it was on the driveway idle the rest of the time before it has been at Tesla Service (10 days now). I have lost almost 500 miles in 3 weeks of having it be idle. I suspect most people who see this problem continue to drive it, but I did not. I can't trust a car that has this behavior.

Well, I guess the best way to have no drain is to have 0 miles left...as my car will have in about 4 hours.

Last edited:
Let’s just keep in touch I’m sure if we keep pressure on Tesla a solution will be found. Mine is sleeping fine and wakes on app use so it can’t be the app. This was same as last update but after driving would not sleep. I am not hopeful it has been fixed. Will know tomorrow. My bet is that there is a component out of tolerance that is preventing the operating system triggering sleep. It could be the RCM like the guy on Reddit or something else.

Thx for that 0 miles info.

Re: Tesla app. I put my phone in airplane mode on thursday night, and the car (at Tesla Service) lost 0 miles overnight. That was a revelation BUT...

Last night, I killed the Tesla app. I expected the miles to stay stationary, BUT that did not happen. I had 13 miles last night, and 8 miles 4 hours ago. So I put my phone in airplane mode (even tho the Tesla app wasn't running at all). And now it has 4 miles. This is the strangest thing. Still losing ~1 MPH, but the Tesla app wasn't running. Now i'm beginning to think it's a Tesla car software problem, or a combination of the Tesla car software and the Tesla iPhone app. The Tesla iPhone app appears to contribute to the cause, but something else also appears to be interfering and keeping the car awake. Why thousands of people don't have this problem is a mystery to me, you would think this would be more widespread (or are people just accepting this loss as normal as per Tesla propaganda?)

After this started happening 3 weeks ago, I have ONLY driven the car 3 times to charge (~52 miles) and then 18 miles to Tesla service, it was on the driveway idle the rest of the time before it has been at Tesla Service (10 days now). I have lost almost 500 miles in 3 weeks of having it be idle. I suspect most people who see this problem continue to drive it, but I did not. I can't trust a car that has this behavior.

Well, I guess the best way to have no drain is to have 0 miles left...as my car will have in about 4 hours.
I tried resetting my password again and I left my phone on airplane mode for the last 12 hours. Still lost 4.6% on vehicle standby during that time from a full charge. I logged into my account on the Tesla website and it shows zero third party apps connected to my account. I think it’s possible more people are having this issue but they are probably being told what I was initially, “it’s normal, no need for service appointment” or they just plug in whenever parked so they don’t see the drain.

Reactions: DrChaos and waddler
I logged into my account on the Tesla website. Each time after I log in, the resulting page is completely BLANK. I've tried this on safari, chrome and firefox. Suggestions? Yes, please keep updating and viewing this page so we can keep in touch.

I brought my car into Tesla service 7/14 9am with 246 miles left. Now it has 0 WITHOUT EVEN DRIVING IT. The odometer is still at 3730, so they haven't driven it even 1 mile. The car has lost 492 miles in 3 weeks. It would have been over 500 in 3 weeks, but Tesla Service neglected to charge it as they messaged me they would. There's no way in the world that is normal. Here's my lovely pic from today.

Attachments

• 0 Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 10.30.39 PM.png
    0 Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 10.30.39 PM.png
    125 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: kevin_camera
Something must be polling your car constantly. Have you considered your wifi router?
Not connected to my home WiFi, out of range. Something definitely is pinging the car but Tesla apparently can’t tell me more than “it’s a 3rd party application.” I still have never used one so I’m not sure what to do at this point. It’s not possible to completely turn off the internet connection so I have no way of stopping whatever it is that’s pinging it. Thinking about finding a deep underground parking garage somewhere and leaving it there for a few hours lol.

If you have changed your password on the tesla site (as they suggested) and only logged into the mobile app with the new password, you'll be able to tell them that to continue the investigation.
I changed my password for the third time yesterday, and didn’t even log into the mobile app and the drain continues. I let service know the issue is still persisting after changing password multiple times but have yet to hear back.

Reactions: GtiMart
Not connected to my home WiFi, out of range. Something definitely is pinging the car but Tesla apparently can’t tell me more than “it’s a 3rd party application.” I still have never used one so I’m not sure what to do at this point. It’s not possible to completely turn off the internet connection so I have no way of stopping whatever it is that’s pinging it. Thinking about finding a deep underground parking garage somewhere and leaving it there for a few hours lol.
Actually it is possible, disable it in the car under:
Controls > Safety > Allow Mobile Access

Make sure you test and have a working keycard, as the 4G based features would stop working and you may be locked out, although supposedly bluetooth based phone keys should still work (but don't assume it does!).

Actually it is possible, disable it in the car under:
Controls > Safety > Allow Mobile Access

Make sure you test and have a working keycard, as the 4G based features would stop working and you may be locked out, although supposedly bluetooth based phone keys should still work (but don't assume it does!).
I believe this only disables using the Tesla app, but the car still has cellular service on its own. I cannot turn off the car’s cellular service, unless it’s an option I couldn’t find

Reactions: Rocky_H
Also tried doing a factory reset yesterday, the drain remains. Service finally responded to me, they said their tech is looking into it will follow up with more info.
Factory reset didn’t work for me either.

Hopefully more reports of this getting to Tesla techs will mean eventually one of us getting a real answer and maybe a real fix.

Another thread on Reddit with exact same issue that is popular.

Ah... that thread talks about Sentry mode being enabled on their easy entry profile. You guys that are having this problem could check that...
Good thinking, but I don’t use the Easy-Entry feature.

To test, I did enable it, and turned off sentry, preconditioning, and cabin overheat protection (it’s now off on the two driver profiles and Easy-Entry).

Car still didn’t sleep. I’ve since disabled Easy-Entry on both driver profiles and deleted the Easy-Entry profile too. Car still not sleeping.

Reactions: lunaj23
Good thinking, but I don’t use the Easy-Entry feature.

To test, I did enable it, and turned off sentry, preconditioning, and cabin overheat protection (it’s now off on the two driver profiles and Easy-Entry).

Car still didn’t sleep. I’ve since disabled Easy-Entry on both driver profiles and deleted the Easy-Entry profile too. Car still not sleeping.
Same here. Never used easy entry, checked to make sure, it is not enabled.