Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 is having the same issue. The car has consumed 23% of the high voltage battery in standby over 3 days!

I have had the car for just over a week. All was good for the first couple of days. You could hear the high voltage contactors engaging and disengaging as expected when walking away or opening the door to drive (entering and exiting sleep mode). However, after updating to the latest software version, my car has started experiencing this same high consumption issue. What is interesting is that I get a “Park assist unavailable” message on occasion and the power steering has become unavailable once on startup. All were corrected with a soft reset.

All of the recommended settings (in app and in the car) have been applied for the lowest possible consumption while parked. A service appointment has been made.

It sounds like the liquid cooled computer remains on all the time. You can hear a coolant pump running constantly from under the frunk and a hum of a computer in the interior (even though everything is “off”). A noticeable amount of heat is being rejected both inside the car and around the frunk (although not enough for the radiator fans to turn on).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have the same issue, apologize for starting yet another thread on this but I was linked here afterwards. It's here:

I have submitted a service request through the app, which just asks me to provide them info to run a battery diagnostic but doesn't actually allow me to schedule a service appointment. How is everyone getting the service appointment scheduled?

How is everyone getting the service appointment scheduled?
You have to be persistent, keep showing evidence like screenshots of the vehicle standby energy use. The virtual service team will push back a lot and say it’s normal. You need to keep insisting it’s not.

After 3-4 days of the car not sleeping cruise, park assist and a few other features will stop working. You can then pester them about that too and the battery drain.

It’s been pretty bad service until I finally got to a tech at a SC who actually listened and confirmed the issue.

Good luck 🤞

I just got contacted by a Tesla service rep. They found that the car was registering two devices, but I only ever connected one (my phone). They worked with me to ensure that the second one was removed.

I doubt this is a fix as my car keeps humming away as before. They asked for me to drive today and note when I park the car to monitor the consumption after parking. They will call again tomorrow and see if removing the mysterious second device was the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and evermore
OK, I'm back. Tesla Service has done nothing since a week ago. My car at Tesla Service ran down to 0 miles on Sunday 7/23/23. They didn't look at it for 3 days after 0 miles apparently. They called me yesterday afternoon (7/26) , telling me for the 3rd time (they didn't do it the 1st 2 times) that they will charge my car up. Interestingly enough, they still don't believe me that I don't have any 3rd party apps running, so they asked for the pw SO THEY COULD CHANGE IT, effectively locking me out. (They had me change it a week ago too, and there was no change in the endless drain). This is the 14th day my car has been there. This is absolutely ridiculous and quite frustrating.

So, I've lost 492 miles in 3 weeks, it would have been 600+ miles in 3+ weeks, but they neglected to charge it when it went to 0.

Someday, when they tell me it's fixed, I will ask them for the new pw, and monitor the car for a few days BEFORE I pick it up. I don't want it back until I have proved it to myself.

No luck with Tesla service reps suggested fix (as I thought). After driving the car and parking it as asked, the car continues to consume 1.9% of the battery ever 5 hours for standby. If fact the car has used more power in standby so far then in driving since my last charge.

I thought I would try deselecting mobile access (to block any secondary devices) and logging off the app. I used the key card to get back into the car and performed a reset with no change. The humming of the coolant pump continues nonstop burning my money away…. In fact resetting the car never stops the coolant pump, it just continues running. No settings or changes in the phone app or on the car screen ever change this “standby” state.

I bet that the Autopilot computer keeps running and is pulling camera feed nonstop requiring a constant flow of coolant to keep the processor cool even when the car is supposed to be off. Overtime, as the car sits, the computer probably heat soaks (the parts of the board not liquid cooled) to a point where when we do drive the car, the camera hardware is unresponsive and consequently park assist is unavailable. I have had the camera feed blank out when reversing a few times and it can be slow to begin the feed when selecting the camera app in the car screen.

This is the 14th day my car has been there. This is absolutely ridiculous and quite frustrating.
Did they give you a loaner so at least you have a car? It is frustrating, but I think this is the only way the 'software team' will do something about it. Basically, having the car there adds to their work load... hopefully everyone is doing the same so it bugs them enough to escalate to the central software team which probably can root cause the issue. In a way, it's a good thing they want to look at it for you (and having it drain to 0 precisely highlights the issue).

I asked my service center if they wanted screenshots, they said yes. So they asked me to provide them remotely and now they said they suspect it is hardware issue and will order parts for me. I think it is still software related, but the only way for them to understand the problem is to have them waste money and time replacing functioning parts to try to figure out the issue.

I think this is the state of EV technology right now -- everyone is trying to bring out new tech to stay ahead of competition but skimping out on the testing.

Did they give you a loaner so at least you have a car? It is frustrating, but I think this is the only way the 'software team' will do something about it. Basically, having the car there adds to their work load... hopefully everyone is doing the same so it bugs them enough to escalate to the central software team which probably can root cause the issue. In a way, it's a good thing they want to look at it for you (and having it drain to 0 precisely highlights the issue).

I asked my service center if they wanted screenshots, they said yes. So they asked me to provide them remotely and now they said they suspect it is hardware issue and will order parts for me. I think it is still software related, but the only way for them to understand the problem is to have them waste money and time replacing functioning parts to try to figure out the issue.

I think this is the state of EV technology right now -- everyone is trying to bring out new tech to stay ahead of competition but skimping out on the testing.
Re: Did they give you a loaner so at least you have a car?

Are you kidding??!! They probably don't have enough loaners for all the people that have this problem. They barely answer my phone calls or texts! This is what I've told people about Tesla Customer Service. They should just call it Tesla Customer (THEY HAVE NO CUSTOMER SERVICE). It doesn't exactly increase their workload if they don't look at my car for a week or more.

When I had questions when I was buying the car, they didn't answer phones (after waiting 30 minutes on hold, forget it) or email...until the car was about to be delivered and they would get their money. Before the car delivery was imminent, I had to get in my car and DRIVE down to the dealer to get my questions answered. So impressive! Elon would be proud. What a way to run a company. They sell lots of cars, but do they really need to fix them too??

No luck with Tesla service reps suggested fix (as I thought). After driving the car and parking it as asked, the car continues to consume 1.9% of the battery ever 5 hours for standby. If fact the car has used more power in standby so far then in driving since my last charge.

I thought I would try deselecting mobile access (to block any secondary devices) and logging off the app. I used the key card to get back into the car and performed a reset with no change. The humming of the coolant pump continues nonstop burning my money away…. In fact resetting the car never stops the coolant pump, it just continues running. No settings or changes in the phone app or on the car screen ever change this “standby” state.

I bet that the Autopilot computer keeps running and is pulling camera feed nonstop requiring a constant flow of coolant to keep the processor cool even when the car is supposed to be off. Overtime, as the car sits, the computer probably heat soaks (the parts of the board not liquid cooled) to a point where when we do drive the car, the camera hardware is unresponsive and consequently park assist is unavailable. I have had the camera feed blank out when reversing a few times and it can be slow to begin the feed when selecting the camera app in the car screen.
Sounds like you have this spot on! Do you think this could cause long term damage to some of the hardware? If not fixed soon?

Sounds like you have this spot on! Do you think this could cause long term damage to some of the hardware? If not fixed soon?
If the HV traction battery is allowed to discharge to 0%, the 16V lithium battery charge level will not be maintained. Not sure if the 16V battery can protect itself from discharging to a low voltage that would require replacement at $400+? If parked in the garage, leave the frunk open and pop off the cover directly behind the wipers. Monitor and log the voltage between the jump post and ground bolt head to the right. It is possible the 16V battery will not be maintained if the traction battery SOC is below 20%? but monitoring the voltage would verify that. Around 18 months ago. Tesla made an error in a new version of the IOS app/Andriod app? that would wake the car from sleep several time an hour cycling the HV contactors each time (not good). It took them over a week to fix the problem with several revisions. Of course the release notes for the revision that ultimately fixed the problem only stated minor bug fixes!

That is my worry. Technically we are all loosing our high voltage battery capacity for this issue over the car’s intended purpose (driving). I personally believe that heat soaking of the drive computer will effect the small resistors, capacitors, and all the small soldered joints (like last gen Mack Books).

I will probably be left with a drive computer that will have intermittent issues till I trade or sell off the car….

It is funny because Elon stated in the last investor meeting that a Model 3’s cost of ownership is on par with a Toyota Corolla. I had a 2020 Toyota Corolla SE 2.5 with the upgrade package (bought brand new in 2019) which I traded for this Model 3. Never did the Toyota Corolla have any issues, recalls, or warranty claims. It turned off when I wanted it to and it stated when I wanted it to every single time without delay; the definition of RELIABILITY. Consequently, the Corolla never sat idle in my driveway burning energy and so far the hourly cost of ownership, was actually cheaper then the Model 3.

This issue could constitute a lawsuit as the owners manual states “around 1% a day of loss” and not 12% a day. If we do some math for Canadian deliveries in this last quarter and assume this is widespread (which it is by these posts), then this issue is burning through approx 2.5 MW of electricity every charge cycle in Canada (every 5 to 7 days just for the car to sit!). That is far from environmentally friendly.

I think we should start drawing attention to this issue as it is not fair for new owners to buy a $50K car that bleeds power in standby mode. If I had known, I would have waited till it was fixed to buy the car. So far I have paid $15 in electricity for my car heat the air around it and sit in standby mode.

I have started a Transport Canada claim because the amount of heat coming out of the dash and glovebox could be a potential fire hazard. I pulled the USB thumb drive out yesterday as it was very hot (surface temp of 68 degrees centigrade!). I wish I could force the car to turn off. I understand this whole connectivity idea, but the consumer should always have ultimate control over the end product. If it sets on fire, there is little time to get the frunk open, the access cover off, and the fire loop pulled.

My Tesla rep isn’t available to continue helping till Sunday, so I will keep everyone posted. My service date remains at Aug 8th.

I'm curious. What parts are they ordering?

FYI, I think it's multiple software bugs, but I think the bug is being driven by the car's software, and is also effected by the iphone's Tesla app. A week ago, turning my phone on airplane mode overnight temporarily stopped the drain. But 2 days later, with the app NOT running, the drain marched on to 0 miles. They want to look at it, (but apparently not in a timely manner) but they have not been successful so far. They need better diagnostics! Tesla Service Day 17 and counting. Except for super charging and driving to Tesla Service, I haven't driven my M3 in a month!

I'm curious. What parts are they ordering?

FYI, I think it's multiple software bugs, but I think the bug is being driven by the car's software, and is also effected by the iphone's Tesla app. A week ago, turning my phone on airplane mode overnight temporarily stopped the drain. But 2 days later, with the app NOT running, the drain marched on to 0 miles. They want to look at it, (but apparently not in a timely manner) but they have not been successful so far. They need better diagnostics! Tesla Service Day 17 and counting. Except for super charging and driving to Tesla Service, I haven't driven my M3 in a month!

I am not sure which parts, they didn't say in the message. I have to wait 2 weeks though... looks like it takes awhile.

Let me check if it's iPhone related, we do have 2 phones connected to the car, one of them is an iPhone.

I am not sure which parts, they didn't say in the message. I have to wait 2 weeks though... looks like it takes awhile.

Let me check if it's iPhone related, we do have 2 phones connected to the car, one of them is an iPhone.
Regarding my post above can't remember if the Tesla Smart Phone App wake problem also included Andriod or not. There is a long thread discussing the problem. FWIW, I have the latest version of the Tesla App on my iPhone and have no issues. Found the thread see below.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin_camera
We had a temp drop where I live today and I decided to do a temp check of all the cameras around the car. My suspicion was correct, they are all hot to the touch, well above ambient temps. They are running nonstop continuously even with the car being “off.” I haven’t driven it for three days before doing this check and to reiterate, Sentry Mode is completely off.

This is why the park assist is unavailable sometimes and backup feed is intermittent or slow; cameras are heat soaked. There is something going on with Autopilot keeping it running in the background nonstop!

Regarding my post above can't remember if the Tesla Smart Phone App wake problem also included Andriod or not. There is a long thread discussing the problem. FWIW, I have the latest version of the Tesla App on my iPhone and have no issues. Found the thread see below.

Reporting back on this test. Deleted the Tesla app on the iPhone yesterday.

No difference in overnight draining... Still humming without sleep.

We had a temp drop where I live today and I decided to do a temp check of all the cameras around the car. My suspicion was correct, they are all hot to the touch, well above ambient temps. They are running nonstop continuously even with the car being “off.” I haven’t driven it for three days before doing this check and to reiterate, Sentry Mode is completely off.

This is why the park assist is unavailable sometimes and backup feed is intermittent or slow; cameras are heat soaked. There is something going on with Autopilot keeping it running in the background nonstop!
Hi,

You made a really good guess. So today my "live traffic visualization" is crippled again. Park assist is no longer working, but no error message anymore. I just have a "frozen" halo around the car all the time, doesn't change with distance.

It's also not able to read the speed limit signs while driving (stuck at 50km/h), so I'm guessing autopilot is also out. I take that back.. looks like it can read just doesn't show up on live traffic visualization.

Lines on the road also don't show up.

So definitely something to do with camera sensors -- they're not broken but I can see video feeds. They're somehow related -- this is already on 2023.20.9. The 2023.20.7 will have error message at least. Looks like the "bug fix" was preventing that error message from showing up.

Still getting power drain.....

Last edited: