Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10 month owner - Something similar happened to me, but only once. After I parked it, it sat in the garage for about 48 hours. The battery consumption was something like 12 or 13% with everything off, which never happened before, and the car was asleep. Most of the time when I park it overnight, the SOC% is the same in the morning.
I concluded the BMS had just miscalculated my SOC and/or the cells of the pack had sufficient time to level out,, which caused the updated lower SOC.
As a general rule to keep my battery calibrated, I let the car sit at different SOC's so the BMS learns these different levels accurately. Haven't had any issues since. I also allow my car to charge to 100% once every 3 months, when I know I'll be driving it shortly afterwards. That helps to maintain the battery's total capacity, or at least helps the BMS learn exactly where the top of the pack is, so it can re-calculate range to a more accurate figure. I've always picked up a few miles of total range after doing this.

I understand as much, but “normal behavior” is not the same as a software issue. I travel often for work for weeks at a time, and I only have shared chargers where I live so I can’t keep it plugged in constantly when I’m gone. I asked constantly before I purchased about battery drain while parked because of this, and I was consistently told “1-2% a day, maybe a little more, you should have no problem leaving it for two weeks.”
It is frustrating, but likely a software issue. The service center can only test hardware. The best you can do is to report it. Tell them you went through the list of things you turned off. The car did not behave this way after software update and ask them nicely to tell the software team and offer for them to take data from the car. I also sent them the link to this thread to show them it's not just me and help escalate to right team.

I'm also waiting for software fix. This is the state of technology... It's so advanced that very little people can help fix it.

I also have this issue and it's annoying especially if you plan to go on road trip. It's also wasting a lot of power.

10 month owner - Something similar happened to me, but only once. After I parked it, it sat in the garage for about 48 hours. The battery consumption was something like 12 or 13% with everything off, which never happened before, and the car was asleep. Most of the time when I park it overnight, the SOC% is the same in the morning.
I concluded the BMS had just miscalculated my SOC and/or the cells of the pack had sufficient time to level out,, which caused the updated lower SOC.
As a general rule to keep my battery calibrated, I let the car sit at different SOC's so the BMS learns these different levels accurately. Haven't had any issues since. I also allow my car to charge to 100% once every 3 months, when I know I'll be driving it shortly afterwards. That helps to maintain the battery's total capacity, or at least helps the BMS learn exactly where the top of the pack is, so it can re-calculate range to a more accurate figure. I've always picked up a few miles of total range after doing this.
I think this only affects a smaller group of owners. Seems like only late 2022 or early 2023 model 3 is getting this problem?

I bought my new Model 3 3.5 months ago. Except for 2 drives (18 miles each RT) to the supercharger and tesla service (18 miles), it has been parked for the last 3 weeks, 2 weeks on my driveway and 1 week at Tesla Service. It has lost 431 miles in those 3 weeks while doing nothing.

Tesla Service can't find anything wrong. I don't have Sentry or Climate control on. Today, the service advisor called to ask if I have any 3rd party apps installed on my phone. The only app i have is the Tesla app. Tesla Service hasn't found anything wrong in a week. If it is a software bug, someone ought to light a fire under the engineering team. I'm told that unless I'm looking at the Tesla app screen, it is not waking my car up. But something is keeping the car awake 24x7. But what? This is sssoooo frustrating.

I haven't previously heard of this problem. Perhaps it's so new that Tesla's engineering team has recently found out about it and is investigating.
If it was my car, I would do the following; (I have no clue if any of this would help or not, but as a Tesla owner with some knowledge a bit more than the average customer, I would do them anyway.)
1. Go to a Supercharger and charge the car to 100%. The lower the state of charge when starting the better, but at least have it below 50%. You have to be careful when doing this because it will say "Charging Complete" and 100% you'll hear a thunk like the Supercharger stopped. But it technically has not stopped. It's still charging a slight amount to your battery at something like around 8kWh most likely. (I did this once to my car.) It takes about 20-30 minutes or so to go down to 0kWh, AFTER it says Charging Complete. When you see 0kWh, it's done. It's really pegging and top-charging the battery to the full max. Then take it on an easy drive afterwards and stop around 90%. Turn everything off and check in on it every couple hours by opening the app. It should stay at or near 90%. The purpose is I want the BMS to learn where the top of the pack is and fully charge it and gradually as the energy comes off as it's driving, maybe things will correct.
2. I would do a factory reset of the car. As if you just got into it for the first time at the dealership. Delete everything. If there's a factory reset option, do that. But I would only do it at a higher state of charge 80%+.
3. Delete and re-install the Tesla app. Run continuous anti-virus/malware on your device if you haven't already.
4. Check the energy consumption screen. Click "Parked." What does it say as far as why it is consuming so much energy? Usually it will say some comment about what's causing it that might be a clue.
Other than that, you could have a lemon. I doubt it's a software bug because then it would be affecting every car.
Make sure and document everything. You may have to get a lemon law lawyer involved at some point, preferably one that has dealt with Tesla in the past.

Other than that, you could have a lemon. I doubt it's a software bug because then it would be affecting every car.
100% it's a software bug. This started happening right after software update.

Basically car isn't going to sleep. Like your laptop unable to go into sleep mode to save power and drains overnight

Not all software bugs affect every car, but you said you are a Tesla owner so you should know well it's not uncommon for Tesla to release updates with odd and obvious bugs.

There's no history that i can find of when I actually installed the update 2023.20.7. That update came out ~6/27/23. I noticed my problem for the first time on 6/29/23. And I'm fairly sure I did not update it after noticing the problem, so I must have done it 6/27 or 6/28. That's mighty suspicious to me, but who here thinks Tesla Service will find it relevant?? I surely don't. Remember, some people have reported this problem before late June.

Update: I have 0 3rd party apps for the Tesla. I put my iphone in airplane mode last night, and overnight it lost 0 miles for the 1st time. I noticed there's a new version of the Tesla app, so service asked me to download it...AND change my tesla acct pw. I did that. The new Tesla app version is now running in the background, and the car has started losing miles again. Almost like the Tesla app is keeping the car awake 24x7.

Update: I have 0 3rd party apps for the Tesla. I put my iphone in airplane mode last night, and overnight it lost 0 miles for the 1st time. I noticed there's a new version of the Tesla app, so service asked me to download it...AND change my tesla acct pw. I did that. The new Tesla app version is now running in the background, and the car has started losing miles again. Almost like the Tesla app is keeping the car awake 24x7.
Good to know. I’ll try that if they can’t resolve the issue today during my service appointment. I haven’t updated my Tesla phone app yet so I’ll try before and after update.

Update. Service advisor called and said tech was able to determine from the logs that a 3rd party app is pinging my car which is why it can’t go into a deep sleep.

Only issue is I’ve never used a third party app. I explained I’ve only used the official Tesla app and logged into my account on the Tesla desktop website before on my laptop. They said changing my password will resolve the issue, whatever 3rd party app has my credentials will no longer have access.

Since I’ve never used a 3rd party app, I’m inclined to believe it’s the Tesla app that is pinging my car. I changed my password, disabled background app refresh, and changed location services from “always” to “never” in the app settings.

I checked to see if I was logged in on the desktop website from my laptop and I am not. I am not logged in on safari either on my iPhone’s browser. I will monitor it tonight after making these changes and see if there is any resolution.

Update. Service advisor called and said tech was able to determine from the logs that a 3rd party app is pinging my car which is why it can’t go into a deep sleep.

Only issue is I’ve never used a third party app. I explained I’ve only used the official Tesla app and logged into my account on the Tesla desktop website before on my laptop. They said changing my password will resolve the issue, whatever 3rd party app has my credentials will no longer have access.

Since I’ve never used a 3rd party app, I’m inclined to believe it’s the Tesla app that is pinging my car. I changed my password, disabled background app refresh, and changed location services from “always” to “never” in the app settings.

I checked to see if I was logged in on the desktop website from my laptop and I am not. I am not logged in on safari either on my iPhone’s browser. I will monitor it tonight after making these changes and see if there is any resolution.
It's really too bad the car has no debugging capabilities for the NAME of the 3rd party app. I'm guessing it's called Tesla! I've never used a 3rd party app either.

Hmmm..my tesla app background is enabled, but it's been enabled for almost 4 months now. My location is set to while using the app. It also has been on since I took delivery. My problem started at the end of June, just after I downloaded 2023.20.7. So, the only things that changed are the Tesla app version on my iPhone and the Tesla software version in the car. I have NOT updated my iOS since September (when I updated, it changed my CarPlay google maps to have teeny tiny fonts so I could no longer read the street names on the maps). I had to switch GPS apps. I'm loathe to update the iOS again.

i forgot to tell you that updating the Tesla app DID NOT MATTER, it's been losing miles since I updated the app version, changed my pw, and took the phone off of airplane mode.My phone is sitting here only running the Tesla app in the background. THere's nothing else running on the phone (unless someone texts me). And i've made a phone call or 2, but realistically those shouldn't matter. Now, if they tell me it's still a 3rd party app, I will know for sure that app is called Tesla.

Last edited:
i forgot to tell you that updating the Tesla app DID NOT MATTER, it's been losing miles since I updated the app version, changed my pw, and took the phone off of airplane mode.My phone is sitting here only running the Tesla app in the background. THere's nothing else running on the phone (unless someone texts me). And i've made a phone call or 2, but realistically those shouldn't matter. Now, if they tell me it's still a 3rd party app, I will know for sure that app is called Tesla.
I guess it’s possible iOS is causing issues, I am on the most recent version for IOS but I never changed any of the settings of the Tesla app before today. My issues with my car started around the same time as yours. I even had scheduled a service appointment for 7/11 after cruise control etc had not been working for well over a week but a software update fixed the issues so I canceled the appt. I see a new update available today 2023.20.09 but I am hesitant to install lol.

I guess it’s possible iOS is causing issues, I am on the most recent version for IOS but I never changed any of the settings of the Tesla app before today. My issues with my car started around the same time as yours. I even had scheduled a service appointment for 7/11 after cruise control etc had not been working for well over a week but a software update fixed the issues so I canceled the appt. I see a new update available today 2023.20.09 but I am hesitant to install lol.

I’ve noticed that as well, that after each update the cruise control etc starts working again. But after a few days of the car not sleeping it stops working again.

Same report in this thread:
Hi I have been through the same issue on a 2023 model Y RWD. Last update the car slept initially but not after driving. Support gave me the same feedback as everyone else on this thread. I just updated to 2023.20.9 and the car is sleeping. I’m on holiday though so won’t drive it until next Monday. This will be true test to see if the issue is solved.

At this point can it get worse with 2023.20.9 @lunaj23?

In that same thread I linked to there’s one post from @TheWeb1000 and the SC he went to thinks they’ve fixed it with the new software.

I’ve noticed that as well, that after each update the cruise control etc starts working again. But after a few days of the car not sleeping it stops working again.

Same report in this thread:

At this point can it get worse with 2023.20.9 @lunaj23?

In that same thread I linked to there’s one post from @TheWeb1000 and the SC he went to thinks they’ve fixed it with the new software.
I updated to 2023.20.9, and after 4 hours haven’t lost any battery. Finally the drain has stopped. I also logged out of Spotify and Apple Music in my car, those were the only “3rd party apps” I could identify.

I updated to 2023.20.9, and after 4 hours haven’t lost any battery. Finally the drain has stopped. I also logged out of Spotify and Apple Music in my car, those were the only “3rd party apps” I could identify.
Have you driven it since updating?

For me, after each software update the car would initially sleep. But after the first drive it would revert to battery drain.

You can check if it’s sleeping this way btw:
I learned you can tell the car was asleep if you hear the high voltage connectors closing (clunk clunk sound from under back seat) when you first get into the car.
I can actually hear that sound from my window when I interact with the app and the car was sleeping. My loaner car (a 2019 Model 3) sleeps just fine after 15-20 minutes.

But Spotify and Apple Music don't talk to your car unless you're in it, so its unlikely they were keeping your car awake. I'm really hesitant to go to 2023.20.9. I was wondering if you could try reversing those settings you changed yesterday on your phone for 2-3 hours to see if the drain occurs again. Cause now it's hard to tell if the drain was stopped by the changed phone settings, or by the 2023.20.9. Unless, of course, the drain stopped AFTER you changed the phone AND BEFORE you updated to 2023.20.9. Please let me know. Thx

Have you driven it since updating?

For me, after each software update the car would initially sleep. But after the first drive it would revert to battery drain.
I was too eager, I hadn't taken it for a drive yet, after driving the drain has returned.
But Spotify and Apple Music don't talk to your car unless you're in it, so it's unlikely they were keeping your car awake. I'm really hesitant to go to 2023.20.9. I was wondering if you could try reversing those settings you changed yesterday on your phone for 2-3 hours to see if the drain occurs again. Cause now it's hard to tell if the drain was stopped by the changed phone settings, or by the 2023.20.9. Unless, of course, the drain stopped AFTER you changed the phone AND BEFORE you updated to 2023.20.9. Please let me know. Thx
I figured as much with Spotify and Apple Music but I'm trying anything at this point lol. Sorry I should have clarified, I updated to 2023.20.9 only after making the changes in my phone settings to no avail. I waited a few hours to see if the changes impacted anything and unfortunately the battery kept draining so I figured might as well try the update. But as I mentioned before @greg1 was correct, the drain only stopped temporarily since the car did sleep after the update but not again after driving, so I'm back to square one.

I was too eager, I hadn't taken it for a drive yet, after driving the drain has returned.

I figured as much with Spotify and Apple Music but I'm trying anything at this point lol. Sorry I should have clarified, I updated to 2023.20.9 only after making the changes in my phone settings to no avail. I waited a few hours to see if the changes impacted anything and unfortunately the battery kept draining so I figured might as well try the update. But as I mentioned before @greg1 was correct, the drain only stopped temporarily since the car did sleep after the update but not again after driving, so I'm back to square one.
Oh no. I was hoping this was the fix. Will you book it in now to get diagnosed RCM looked at?