Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model Y stuck on 6AMPS when charging on 7KW charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys just picked up my new Tesla Model Y on Saturday and on the first attempt at charging the car i had no issues with my Hypervolt 7KW charger however on my second attempt of charging the car (last night) i only got 6AMPS when it should normally be 32AMPS. I nearly didnt make it to work today as the car only pulled 19 miles over 4 hours while on scheduled charge. I tried to charge again this morning and this evening but the AMPS are stuck on 6 with no option to increase this on the app or in the car. I have spoken to hypervolt who advised it was likely a Tesla software issue. I have spoken to Tesla who advised me to send images of this issue to them. For now the car is trickle charging and i will likely have problems next week if this continues. I have updated the software to 2022.8.2 and rapid cycles the Hypervolt charger will no success

Any ideas?

Hi guys just picked up my new Tesla Model Y on Saturday and on the first attempt at charging the car i had no issues with my Hypervolt 7KW charger however on my second attempt of charging the car (last night) i only got 6AMPS when it should normally be 32AMPS. I nearly didnt make it to work today as the car only pulled 19 miles over 4 hours while on scheduled charge. I tried to charge again this morning and this evening but the AMPS are stuck on 6 with no option to increase this on the app or in the car. I have spoken to hypervolt who advised it was likely a Tesla software issue. I have spoken to Tesla who advised me to send images of this issue to them. For now the car is trickle charging and i will likely have problems next week if this continues. I have updated the software to 2022.8.2 and rapid cycles the Hypervolt charger will no success

Any ideas?

Have you tried charging the vehicle on a different charging station or with the mobile connector? Do you get the same 6 amp limit?

Any ideas?
Check that the Hypervolt charging connector is properly connected to the car. Also try doing a full reboot of the car?

Check that the Hypervolt charging connector is properly connected to the car. Also try doing a full reboot of the car?
Hypervolt did change the cable to modified version a few months back as i was having latching issues with my M3P. I wonder if i am not getting a good connection with this modified cable on the Model Y. I have tried a full reboot but that didnt solve the issue

First couple of charges with my Andersen and m3 I wasn't shoving the cable in quite far enough and it was only giving me 10 amps or so. But the car clearly knew something was up, the charge icon at the connector was flashing orange and some message was coming in the car and via the app. I still get this if I'm not really firm with the connector.

Might just need a really good shove into place?

Hypervolt did change the cable to modified version a few months back as i was having latching issues with my M3P. I wonder if i am not getting a good connection with this modified cable on the Model Y. I have tried a full reboot but that didnt solve the issue

It sounds like an issue with the Hypervolt. Have you reached out to Hypervolt over the phone? They can have a look on their end and reset the unit if required.

Support number is +443330903093 I think.

I have a Hypervolt with the latching issue. It takes several attempts with the latching mechanism clicking away before it seems to lock. Then I get a message on the Tesla app saying the charge cable hasn’t locked properly. The car reduces the charge to 16A but certainly not 6A.

I’ve phoned Hypervolt once and emailed twice in the last fortnight but still haven’t had a response.

Hi guys just picked up my new Tesla Model Y on Saturday and on the first attempt at charging the car i had no issues with my Hypervolt 7KW charger however on my second attempt of charging the car (last night) i only got 6AMPS when it should normally be 32AMPS. I nearly didnt make it to work today as the car only pulled 19 miles over 4 hours while on scheduled charge.

Meantime I suggest you set the Hypervolt to being permanently on ... i.e. no schedule .... then on the car itself just set a starting time for your charge. This will ensure that your car doesn't stop charging until it has reached its set percentage. The extra price electricity beyond your off-peak period is worth paying until the issue is sorted out.

Reactions: Xdama and Avendit
In my opinion, it's unlikely that the issue is with the car.
When I collected my M3P last month it was being attended to by the rangers due to a recall with the charging port. There was a potential issue with some charging cables not latching correctly and/or not being released and getting stuck. They did mention some specific chargers but I forget which.

They basically pulled back the carpet inside the boot, over the charging port and checked that the latch was operating over its full range. Took about 2 minutes for them to declare it was okay.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Read a thread on here recently where someone has an issue charging and it turned out a small part of the connector had broken and was lodged down the port. May be worth checking that everything looks intact and there is not any debris stopping the plug connecting fully?

Read a thread on here recently where someone has an issue charging and it turned out a small part of the connector had broken and was lodged down the port. May be worth checking that everything looks intact and there is not any debris stopping the plug connecting fully?
Yes check the plug and charger incase there is a stone in there or similar

@M3PBOSS Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here, have no idea how familiar you are with Hypervolt chargers etc…

But have you checked the really basic stuff in the Hypervolt app?

First thing to check - (in settings) that your maximum current limit isnt what is causing this. Sometimes this is set to the lowest by mistake during the install or by default.

Second thing to check - under last session on the HV app Home Screen, does it show 6amps there? If that is accurate, and your settings aren’t messed up as above, you have something you can use to help troubleshoot.

My guess would be it’s to do with your supply, not the unit but it’s not impossible you got a dud. If your settings are all fine, I’d give your installer a call, they should be your first port of call after Hypervolt themselves and then Tesla last imo. So you don’t waste your time.

@M3PBOSS Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here, have no idea how familiar you are with Hypervolt chargers etc…

But have you checked the really basic stuff in the Hypervolt app?

First thing to check - (in settings) that your maximum current limit isnt what is causing this. Sometimes this is set to the lowest by mistake during the install or by default.

Second thing to check - under last session on the HV app Home Screen, does it show 6amps there? If that is accurate, and your settings aren’t messed up as above, you have something you can use to help troubleshoot.

My guess would be it’s to do with your supply, not the unit but it’s not impossible you got a dud. If your settings are all fine, I’d give your installer a call, they should be your first port of call after Hypervolt themselves and then Tesla last imo. So you don’t waste your time.
Also, a possibility based on my experience (albeit with Ohme HP not Hypervolt) is that is could be something "in between" the supply and the unit itself - in my case charging was being limited to 16A by the unit because of a fault of the CT clamp which I'm told helped with the load balancing. Unit was fine, supply was fine, but CT clamp needed changing. Apparently it's not an uncommon fault but again, not sure if that only applies to Ohme.

• Helpful
Reactions: Casss