Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus (IO) not charging Tesla 3 via Hypervolt charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have just joined IO and have set up a charging plan on the app which showed how it was going to charge my Tesla 3 overnight but in the morning the charging did not happen. There is nothing untoward on the Hypervolt charger and the car does not have any charging schedule set up, although it did have previously but has been cancelled, via the Tesla app or in the car. The charging was to have started at 2.00am and I plugged in the cable around 18.30. Any ideas of what needs doing to correct this?

RichardLouis38

Have just joined IO and have set up a charging plan on the app which showed how it was going to charge my Tesla 3 overnight but in the morning the charging did not happen. There is nothing untoward on the Hypervolt charger and the car does not have any charging schedule set up, although it did have previously but has been cancelled, via the Tesla app or in the car. The charging was to have started at 2.00am and I plugged in the cable around 18.30. Any ideas of what needs doing to correct this?

RichardLouis38

Upvote 0
The schedule was provided in the IO app and the car is connected to my , strong, wifi signal

Thanks
very strange, has it worked previously since joining?
maybe try bump charge for a few mins to confirm that works

ive been using the same setup now for 2 months and have not had any issues so far.
let us know how your charging goes tonight.

if you need to confirm any other app settings let us know

Upvote 0
I have this exact setup

Just to clarify:-

- There is no schedule setup in Hypervolt
- There is no schedule in the Tesla App
- The smart charging setting in the Octopus is enabled.
- In Octopus do you see a plan created (may take a few refreshes)

I wanted to check with you if you have seen any variations to the amount charged.
for example each of my apps have different values, for example

1. My Hypervolt app says the charged amount was 60kW
  2. My Tesla app says the charged amount was 57kW
  3. My Octopus app says the charged amount was 54kW

Which one is correct and why is the octopus value not matching the Tesla value, when it uses Tesla API's.

I feel like Octopus maybe short changing me, any advice?

Upvote 0
Hypervolt is probably correct.
Tesla is only the amount added to the battery and doesn't included running the computer, etc.
IO normally (for me) includes everything in the house such as the dishwasher, etc. I've no idea why yours is so low. Except, I don't think it records usage before midnight so it might be missing some...
TeslaFi is your friend if you really want to see what's happening...

Reactions: Sonny-Jim
Upvote 0
I wanted to check with you if you have seen any variations to the amount charged.
for example each of my apps have different values, for example

Which one is correct and why is the octopus value not matching the Tesla value, when it uses Tesla API's.

Can't say i've noticed i'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Charged our M3 using IO for the first time last night after switching yesterday. This morning the Octopus App reports the total charge amount as 38.88 kWh. This tallies exactly with Teslamate's charge added figure (sourced from the car via the Tesla API). Teslamate's corresponding charge used value (how much energy was drawn from the supply) is 40.27 kWh (also sourced from the car via the Tesla API). This tallies with my own energy meter installed on the cable to the charger.

So Octopus is showing the energy added to the battery, and it looks like Tesla's App shows energy drawn from the supply. I would have expected Hypervolt and Tesla App to show similar values in your case.

• Informative
Reactions: Sonny-Jim
Upvote 0
This morning the Octopus App reports the total charge amount as 38.88 kWh. This tallies exactly with Teslamate's charge added figure (sourced from the car via the Tesla API). Teslamate's corresponding charge used value (how much energy was drawn from the supply) is 40.27 kWh (also sourced from the car via the Tesla API).

I didn't know that the car API reports how much was drawn from the supply as well as how much charge was actually added as two separate figures. I always wondered how Tessie managed to show me both figures ... though sometimes both figures come out exactly the same, which I would have thought was not really possible i.e. 100% efficiency.

Upvote 0
I didn't know that the car API reports how much was drawn from the supply as well as how much charge was actually added as two separate figures. I always wondered how Tessie managed to show me both figures ... though sometimes both figures come out exactly the same, which I would have thought was not really possible i.e. 100% efficiency.
Tesla API doesn't report how much power was drawn from the supply. It only reports what has been added to the battery. TeslaFi calculates power drawn from the supply, using the voltage and current reported by the Tesla API (on a minute by minute basis) to calculate kW/h used.

• Informative
Reactions: scdoubleu
Upvote 0
Tesla API doesn't report how much power was drawn from the supply. It only reports what has been added to the battery. TeslaFi calculates power drawn from the supply, using the voltage and current reported by the Tesla API (on a minute by minute basis) to calculate kW/h used.

Ah .. it did seem like a clever trick! So presumably Tessie is doing the same thing ... and doesn't always get it right! (by sometimes reporting 100% efficiency)

Upvote 0
So Octopus is showing the energy added to the battery, and it looks like Tesla's App shows energy drawn from the supply. I would have expected Hypervolt and Tesla App to show similar values in your case.

Thanks for this confirmation, at least now i understand the reasons.
But its certainly a bit wrong from Octopus as they are short-changing you.
1694020782974.png

Surely they should be looking at the amount added to the battery of the vehicle regardless of what is used whilst charging.

Upvote 0