Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla? Nope, never again! Cherry Hill Tesla the worst.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are superior in technology, and speed...That is where it ends.
When I was looking for another car, I traded in my BMW for a Tesla...The sales people left me waiting in their showroom for over an hour past my appointment time...
Now that I own one, here is a list of issues from my first service appt...
If you are looking at a Tesla, and are shopping for other premium cars...take heed.
1) Their service is not nearly on par with a 60, 70 or 100 thousand dollar price tag. As with BMW, Porsche etc.
2) They try their best to isolate service department from consumers, leading to miscommunication, dropped services and lack of information. I drove over an hour and found out they were not prepared to do all of my services I signed for.
3) They will promise you a loaner, than get you an Uber...Yes, This really happened, then they stuck me with the bill!
4) I called Tesla in Califonia, regarding my issues, and they would not hear what I have to say, instead, they forward me right back to the dealer I had issues. Where their employees could not care less. After over 2 weeks without any resolution to my issues, or even a "let us help you out", I called...Emily listened to me (the 5th person I told), and her reply was "I can't help you, I am in sales".
5) Try and use their scheduling app. Most information does not get to the service department.
6) At Cherry Hill Tesla, you can speak to sales, not service, who then spins the conversation, until you hang up! (multiple events of this)
7) The service center at Cherry Hill damaged my steering wheel!

I tried to pile up all my issues into one service request like i used to with legacy car dealers. they told me to bring it in. I missed my appointment (forgot what day it was on) so when i rescheduled i submitted the service requests 1 at a time and mobile service came out each time. seems to work better sending in request through the app 1 at a time. still havent been to the service center after more than a year of ownership. The mobile Technicians were all very nice and let me ask 1232343121 questions. So try doing it 1 by 1.

The dumb thing that sets everyone off is how posters like this turn a personal experience into a wild generalization about how “they” (Tesla) always do this or never do that. Then because they’re frustrated if they’re of a certain disposition they proceed to bash the brand, the car, everything, and of course compare their previous <insert brand> and how incredible it was. Kinda tiring to read this garbage over and over again.

I wish there was a forum for griping and moaning and a mod would just move posts like this there rather than trigger a bunch of people into negativity instead of useful discussion. That way anyone feeling a little confrontational can go there and have a little joust occasionally without it polluting normal level-headed discussion about the vehicle and company in here.
They do have that forum, it’s called forums.tesla.com
:)

I have to complain about this forum. They have some seriously limited smiley faces. Not sure if because I’m not a paying subscriber.

The dumb thing that sets everyone off is how posters like this turn a personal experience into a wild generalization about how “they” (Tesla) always do this or never do that. Then because they’re frustrated if they’re of a certain disposition they proceed to bash the brand, the car, everything, and of course compare their previous <insert brand> and how incredible it was. Kinda tiring to read this garbage over and over again.

What about panel gaps? Anyone up for a good discussion about panel gaps? And the mobile service for our new TRDP 4-Runner is so much better than that of Tesla...........

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and S3XY

I wish there was a forum for griping and moaning and a mod would just move posts like this there rather than trigger a bunch of people into negativity instead of useful discussion. That way anyone feeling a little confrontational can go there and have a little joust occasionally without it polluting normal level-headed discussion about the vehicle and company in here.

You know you don't have to read it, right?

If you want a loaner, make an early appointment and get there earlier :) Worked 2 out of 2 times so far.

Also keep in mind that the $80K ICE dealers HAVE TO BE Nice because their product is behind the times.
$80K Tesla's, SHOULD be nice and cozy and fluffy, but they currently don't have to be, because if you say "No", there are 3 waiting behind you saying "Yes" they will put up with some of the B.S.

If you understand how it all works. It works pretty good, most of the time. But it is VERY different. In many ways it's a big experiment. Take it or leave it. So much is setting your expectations.

Service does vary by Service Center, if you do have choices, try them all.

I have a BMW now, and was about to pull the trigger last night. For service do they not have a specific loaner program? I use my car for work and can't be without a vehicle. BMW and Mercedes are great with their loaners. I'm also not far away from you, and possibly would have to go here to take delivery. What were the service issues being addressed? I've been told by my advisor after expressing concern about quality, that most of what we've heard about is in the past.

To the poster above...service is part of the package. Lexus, BMW and Mercedes wouldn't have exploded in sales the past 20 years without a distinct differentiation between the brands. I would say a majority of the customers feel like they are getting total value.

They call you an Uber or Lyft where I live. I can’t even get a loaner.

The loaner program used to be decent. Nothing like BMW though. I don’t see them bringing it back any time soon.

Reactions: Petrocelli
$80K Tesla's, SHOULD be nice and cozy and fluffy, but they currently don't have to be, because if you say "No", there are 3 waiting behind you saying "Yes" they will put up with some of the B.S.

That's the problem. But when there's more competition, those three other people may look elsewhere so that they don't have to put up with the BS.

I have a BMW now, and was about to pull the trigger last night. For service do they not have a specific loaner program? I use my car for work and can't be without a vehicle. BMW and Mercedes are great with their loaners. I'm also not far away from you, and possibly would have to go here to take delivery. What were the service issues being addressed? I've been told by my advisor after expressing concern about quality, that most of what we've heard about is in the past.

To the poster above...service is part of the package. Lexus, BMW and Mercedes wouldn't have exploded in sales the past 20 years without a distinct differentiation between the brands. I would say a majority of the customers feel like they are getting total value.
Try getting ahold of your advisor after delivery to help with anything - good luck.- or "I'm in sales I can't do anything about service".
Tesla people will say anything to get you to buy, but they have NO follow up and they just don't care. If you go in with your eyes open - you may get lucky.... or not.
I think you will find that the service issues are not "in the past", but yes quality is better (but not perfect).

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus

CR suggests they have a 2018 ranking but it's behind a paywall and I'm not a subscriber.

Latest CR rankings for owner satisfaction. Dash means no change from last year.

20190917_205829.jpg

To each his own. You make some good points. Personally, I would rather have Tesla service rather than traditional dealerships. Last time I went to the dealership, they quoted me a price for a repair (which was already more than I could get it fixed elsewhere), then charged me some BS $150 fee on top of it when I got the car. Never going to a dealership again.

Asking because I'm genuinely curious, not because I'm trying to be a wise guy: can you link something that supports this?

I will be floored if those old stats have endured in the Model 3 era. We’re not talking about the Model S here, those were reasonably repairable, seemed to have fewer systemic issues and there were a lot fewer of them for the given SC staff and location count.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and sceptic
I’m with you OP. Also came from BMW and purchased a model S before the 3 rolled out.

Pretty sure my next car will be an M3. A real M3.
My anecdotal experience with BMW dealership has not been cherry either. The only good person at that place is the salesman. (I'm not blind to the humor in that, but he's actually been very professional in the occasions I've dealt with him).

The only good service left seems to be Lexus. Some of their cars are intriguing but far off from what I want.

To each his own. You make some good points. Personally, I would rather have Tesla service rather than traditional dealerships. Last time I went to the dealership, they quoted me a price for a repair (which was already more than I could get it fixed elsewhere), then charged me some BS $150 fee on top of it when I got the car. Never going to a dealership again.

And then they turned out to be exactly the same for non-warranty work and way worse for warranty work.

When it comes to warranty work they have far more of a conflict of interest vs a dealership and when it comes to out-of-warranty repairs they make sure they have a monopoly that, to my knowledge, no other manufacturer currently enjoys.

Yes, they were supposed to offer the better experience and for many years they did (bleeding serious money in the process). Now that they no longer have that luxury, I feel that this advantage has disappeared.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
For plenty of people, yes it is, which is why Service can afford to act the way they do.

Not afford would be more likely.

Those SR and SR+ Model 3s are negative cash for Tesla before a dime is spent on service.

Tesla is just treading water and stalling until the Y. The hope is the few extra grand marginal revenue combined with economy of scale, production volume and more desirable autonomy package pulls them cash flow positive.

We will see service improve once that happens.

Tesla is no rush to install 3P spoilers, refit HW3 or do anything that raises their OPex.

They are superior in technology, and speed...That is where it ends.
When I was looking for another car, I traded in my BMW for a Tesla...The sales people left me waiting in their showroom for over an hour past my appointment time...
Now that I own one, here is a list of issues from my first service appt...
If you are looking at a Tesla, and are shopping for other premium cars...take heed.
1) Their service is not nearly on par with a 60, 70 or 100 thousand dollar price tag. As with BMW, Porsche etc.
2) They try their best to isolate service department from consumers, leading to miscommunication, dropped services and lack of information. I drove over an hour and found out they were not prepared to do all of my services I signed for.
3) They will promise you a loaner, than get you an Uber...Yes, This really happened, then they stuck me with the bill!
4) I called Tesla in Califonia, regarding my issues, and they would not hear what I have to say, instead, they forward me right back to the dealer I had issues. Where their employees could not care less. After over 2 weeks without any resolution to my issues, or even a "let us help you out", I called...Emily listened to me (the 5th person I told), and her reply was "I can't help you, I am in sales".
5) Try and use their scheduling app. Most information does not get to the service department.
6) At Cherry Hill Tesla, you can speak to sales, not service, who then spins the conversation, until you hang up! (multiple events of this)
7) The service center at Cherry Hill damaged my steering wheel!

Welcome to the forum.