Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tires - Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Trying something different... these have a higher tread-wear rating than my OEM Goodyear GSA-2s...

I can wear out a set of rear tires in 6-10 months. (damn you horse power).

So, I really want something that lasts for my money. (or that I don't have to install every 5 months).

I tried the Pirelli P7, and wasn't really happy with their cost or how they 'let go' in a slide. It felt like they had grip, grip, then BOOM gone. Vs. the Goodyear's that would slide and slide.

The good news, for testing, is that I'm putting these on. The bad news is I only need 2. so. for a period of time (and yes it's best to put the better tires in rear... blah blah). I'm putting these on the FRONT of my car.

Then, when I wear out the rears in a few... weeks(?) I'll put them on the rear.

So, if anyone is interested, I'll write up what I can from putting these on the front. The tread appears more aggressive than the GSAs, which would be great in PA weather. Friday afternoon it took 4 attempts to make it up my snow covered driveway. I had to turn OFF T/C, feather it to get going, then just punch it and spin all the way up, with steam/smoke pouring off the back end. I did make it though!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire.../S+P02+(W-Speed+Rated)&partnum=445WR9HTRASP02

Ohh, and unlike GY, they have a warranty!

Sumitomo Performance Tires: HTR A/S P02

Attached is torque 25551718_10213059005522671_1101945046_o.jpg vs. rear tire lol.

The tread appears more aggressive than the GSAs, which would be great in PA weather. Friday afternoon it took 4 attempts to make it up my snow covered driveway. I had to turn OFF T/C, feather it to get going, then just punch it and spin all the way up, with steam/smoke pouring off the back end. I did make it though!

Have you considered winter tires? I made the switch from all seasons after 3 winters in NVa winter slop and they have made a huge difference for traction. The OE Goodyear all seasons were ok, switched to Michelin Primacy which were terrible (I completely lost traction in ice on a slight incline on a 3 lane 65mph posted highway and the vehicle came to a stop in the middle of the the road while other vehicles were zooming past me). No problems since.

Tires matter. I've ALWAYS been happy with Sumi's - they are an excellent tire - plus - they're inexpensive - but - you do't get michelin wear out of them - they'll need replacing in 20k miles- but - you get 60,000 miles out of 3 sets and only 25-30 out of pilot sports - so they cost about half of what Michelins do. . .

Seems like ALL of the modern day Pirelli's suck - and the runflats are the hardest nastiest tire I've ever had the displeasure to use.

I have never bought from Tire Rack as it just seems to be an added expense and hassle. The tires don't seem to cost less plus you have to pay shipping. The installation is charged wherever you go for tires, but always includes free balancing and rotation that I'd have to pay for each time with Tire Rack (which for me means I'd procrastinate and not do it). But Tire Rack has a better selection of tire options, which makes it desirable.

Somebody enlighten me!

Tire rack for me works because I don't trust shops w/my baby. I take them the wheels OFF the car.
Also, their prices are usually well below what anyone will do local.

As for the tires, so far, I'm loving them on the fronts. The tires I had were completely worn out and the car would dart on the highway over bumps. The new tires are soft, smooth, and fun in the turns. Grip feels great on braking.

I plan to put these on the rear once my current goodyears wear out in the back... approx 4-6 months. These are cheaper, more agressive (snow) and have a warranty... I've had them up to a... 'significant'.. MPH and they are smoooooooth and I hear no more noise than the good years. maybe less even.

maybe I finally found a tire I like more than the OEM ones... at least until I can afford my next Tesla w/21s ;)

I sold the car a week before putting these on the rear, where they'd make the most difference. I can't speak to having them on all 4 wheels, but on the fronts they behaved just fine. I was ready to give them a try on the rear, I just ended up selling my S, to fund my future X.

I'd be interested to hear peoples experience. The wifes P85D will need some new tires and I'd like to find something cheaper in the 19s. I just bought some of the Falken 21st for my P90D, so we'll see how those work out... price is pretty good on those for 21st. If I could find a full set of 19"s for under 500 bucks, I'd call that a win.