Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to EV - showing a significantly lower estimated range compared to rated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I just downloaded the Stats App and am showing a significantly lower estimated range compared to rates range. I have a little over 1k miles, it’s a 2020 LR AWD and I am driving in the Philly area (so it is cold out - 29F). As I am new to the car I do hit the accelerator when given the option so I’m sure that impacts efficiency.

Currently I am rated at 230 miles with an estimated miles of 161 at 74% SOC. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Attachments

• 2D7DED7F-73F7-48B4-A966-B243AC54C2F4.png
    2D7DED7F-73F7-48B4-A966-B243AC54C2F4.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 270
You have classic range anxiety compounded by the desire to intensely analyze the situation, as well as the cooler winter months.

A) Put the apps away, drive the car for at least a month before looking at the details
B) It's winter, expect the 30% decrease in range
C) Just enjoy the car for awhile
D) Take some long trips in the car, long enough that you have to charge along the way.

It's a honeymoon period. If you start looking at the details you'll miss the whole package. Find something else to do on the long, cold winter nights.

Short drives in cold weather have much worse apparent efficiency than any other driving, because you end up using a lot of energy at the start of the drive to warm the cabin and pack.

What you’re describing might be perfectly normal for the circumstances.

If you’re worried, take it on a road trip. Once you’re at least an hour in, you should see something close to rated in the ~60-65 mph range even in the cold.

Rated range is calculated according to the EPA. Estimated range takes into account your driving style, past trips, etc so is a better indication of what your range will "likely" be (but it could be up to the EPA range - or even higher). From my observation, this number in stats (which I also have and love) is based on your past 30 miles, average calculations.

Open your Energy app from your app "drawer" (the up arrow in the bottom icon section). Make sure the screen has the past 30 miles and average selected and I'll bet it will match estimated range in stats. That's where I believe Stats is pulling that number from. This image has 5 miles selected but is the screen you are looking for. The projected or estimated range in this photo is 230 miles and should match stats (if 30 miles were selected):
upload_2020-1-10_9-7-10.png

Reactions: jfinephilly
Awesome advice, everyone. It’s so strange because I have been conditioned to NEVER have these thoughts about an ICE vehicle.

Most ICE cars don’t give you anywhere near as much information about current and expected consumption.

ICE cars get substantially worse mileage while warming up too, though that’s usually over faster and you get the heat for free because the engine is so inefficient.

As long as you are charging at home, there’s no reason to worry about it - you’ll use more than rated energy, but the battery range is far more than you’ll need on a given day around town, and you’ll have it all back the next morning, with no standing by a freezing pump or worrying if you remembered to gas up last night.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Awesome advice, everyone. It’s so strange because I have been conditioned to NEVER have these thoughts about an ICE vehicle.

You've been conditioned to not think about energy use at all, like the rest of us. Obviously not everyone who buys an EV is doing it for the sake of the planet or anything cuddly like that, but being aware of how energy is expended is healthy for all of us. I feel a mild rage now when I see people idling their ICE cars outside stores or especially schools for 15 - 20 mins just to run the heater while they wait for someone.

Anyway, I completely agree with the comments in this thread. I would also switch from rated range to % on your battery, it will just stop the anxiety about rated range dropping 3 miles when you've barely driven down your own street.

Reactions: KerryOH
Hi all - I just downloaded the Stats App and am showing a significantly lower estimated range compared to rates range. I have a little over 1k miles, it’s a 2020 LR AWD and I am driving in the Philly area (so it is cold out - 29F). As I am new to the car I do hit the accelerator when given the option so I’m sure that impacts efficiency.

Currently I am rated at 230 miles with an estimated miles of 161 at 74% SOC. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Have you read the stickied thread at the top of this section, regarding Teslas offiical statements regarding range?

Tesla Official Statement on Range

Also, as was stated, the TL ; RD additional version is:

1. If you had a gas pump in your garage that you had access to, you would never consider range on an ICE, so if you have home charging, you have the same thing.

2. its a HUGE mistake for most new owners of EVs to start "diving into the statistics" of the car by using the stats app, teslafi etc. All it does for most new users is give them anxiety because they dont understand what they are looking at, or why the data they are looking at is the way it is. Causes "analysis paralysis". Better to drive the car for a couple months, see your usage patterns, understand what range is and isnt, and THEN dive into it if you want to. Of course, if someone is a data hound, or gets enjoyment out of crunching numbers, that advice is not relevant, but for most users it is.

3. Your car doesnt store miles, it stores energy. You will not get 1:1 miles for energy unless you maintain a specific usage rate (Wh/mi). This is virtually impossible in cold weather, and can be very difficult overall... just like most people dont hit the rated MPG in a ICE vehicle. If you focus on that battery indicator that has miles on it, and expect to drive 10 miles and have the indicator go down 10 miles, and are surprised when it doesnt, you are going to stress yourself the !@#@ out for quite a while.

4. All sorts of things effect energy usage, wind, rain, elevation, etc.

5. None of this matters if you are charging at home, because you likely have a full tank every morning.

Most ICE cars don’t give you anywhere near as much information about current and expected consumption.

ICE cars get substantially worse mileage while warming up too, though that’s usually over faster and you get the heat for free because the engine is so inefficient.

As long as you are charging at home, there’s no reason to worry about it - you’ll use more than rated energy, but the battery range is far more than you’ll need on a given day around town, and you’ll have it all back the next morning, with no standing by a freezing pump or worrying if you remembered to gas up last night.

When I had a Mitsubishi Lancer, it had an instant mpg display. On a cold morning it would show 6 mpg in the beginning of the drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Look in the lower left corner, your driving style uses 359Wh/mile. That's HIGH. You may need to ease off the throttle just a tad.

I own the Stats app too, but don't use it anymore. It made me crazy. Same reason I leave the battery meter on percentage instead of showing the me the useless EPA-rated range remaining.

Measuring the charge state and capacity of Lithium batteries is very hard, so it's all an estimate. Bottom line is that the car, and therefore Stats, doesn't really know how much battery capacity you have until you actually try to use it. Most of us don't cycle the battery from 100% to <10% very often, so the car has trouble estimating and errs on the side of caution (shows less).

If it's really bothering you, then do a a few 100% to <10% charge cycles and your capacity should magically reappear. But if the car has enough range for your everyday use case, then stop worrying about it and just drive!

I own the Stats app too, but don't use it anymore. It made me crazy. Same reason I leave the battery meter on percentage instead of showing the me the useless EPA-rated range remaining.

Measuring the charge state and capacity of Lithium batteries is very hard, so it's all an estimate. Bottom line is that the car, and therefore Stats, doesn't really know how much battery capacity you have until you actually try to use it. Most of us don't cycle the battery from 100% to <10% very often, so the car has trouble estimating and errs on the side of caution (shows less).

If it's really bothering you, then do a a few 100% to <10% charge cycles and your capacity should magically reappear. But if the car has enough range for your everyday use case, then stop worrying about it and just drive!

That seems like very wise logic. I really only got the stats app for the Siri commands because I also just purchased an Apple Watch.

I drove a Prius for a long time, and got used to the MPG display on that. It became a game for me to try to stretch a tank of gas as far as I could (without turning into one of those "driving 45mph on the freeway because mileage" folks). When I bought my M3, I figured I'd do the same thing with it.

Turns out the game for me in the M3 is "always try to be in a lane with no one in front of me at stoplights, so I can mash the pedal to the floor". I don't necessarily speed, mind you... It's just the acceleration I enjoy. I know it's sucking down my range, but I just plug the car in every night and never worry about it.