Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the Tesla Family! What is/was your first Tesla road trip?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on exactly what you call a "road trip". I think the first trip where we needed to use a SpC was Lafayette, IN to Chicago, but our first "real" road trip was to Ithaca, NY (using a couple of SpCs in each direction). Worked out great. Due to family matters my wife has recently made several round trips to Detroit, nearly all on Tesla's electric dime :) I think she's now on a first-name basis with the folks at the Deet's Bbq by the Maumee, OH SpC ;)

Reactions: Ed Hart
Took delivery in June of this year. Farthest I've been so far has been Northern LA to Irvine and back...not really a road trip but did require the first supercharging experience. Next is a trip to Long Beach.

As for an actual road trip, looking forward to a Washington state (Seattle area) trip in the spring.

We recently completed our first long distance road trip, 3300mi round trip from Scottsdale AZ, along CA and OR coast to Portland, down through Bend to Crater Lake, over to Las Vegas and back. 24 SuC stops. Our very first trip using SuC was relatively short from Scottsdale to Lake Havasu and back. Can't wait to do more :).

Reactions: Don TLR
Took our S60 from San Diego to Santa Fe, NM. as a test drive before a trip from San Diego to Atlanta the next month. Easy supercharging on both. The only hitch was the inability to take I-10/I20 due to lack of charging between Casa Grande, Az. and west Texas. Took I-40 instead to Amarillo, then diagonally to Dallas. Added a couple of hundred miles with one destination charger overnight in Vernon, Tx.

Well how about that!! (see photo)

Also, THANK you guys SO so much for responding to this thread, and with such passion and total joy! I don't know about you, but this makes me so happy, chatting with you all and hearing your stories :)

Attachments

• Tesla in Production.jpg
    Tesla in Production.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 62
We got our inventory Model S 60 from Paramus NJ and immediately started the trip back to our home in Atlanta, GA on Dec 31, just in time to claim the 2016 tax credit. It was about 1,000 miles and just made it a leisurely long weekend trip. Supercharged several times along the way without a problem. This was our fourth EV, so supercharging was so easy compared to the assortment of 3rd party chargers (ChargePoint, Greenlots, NRG EVGO, etc) we were use to.

We stayed overnight at the (surprisingly cheap) Ritz Carlton Tyson's Corner with a destination charger and some place in Charlotte. Even after the one way flight, hotels and meals, it was still over $1,000 cheaper than shipping the car.

IMG_0355.JPG

1st Trip in our 2016 S 90D: Southwest Tour right after Easter. (Crater Lake, Yosemite, California coast, Disneyland(s), Sea World!, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Baker City (western migration memorial center!) ... nights at Bend, Mt. Shasta, Groveland, Monterey, Corona, San Diego, Flagstaff, Springdale, Tremonton, Twin Falls and Baker City. Supercharger system worked great though charge amperage rates varied significantly. Had an annoying trouble light come on warning the 12 volt battery was getting "low" and needed attention (with only 3,000 miles on car??!!). Called Tesla in San Diego. They were too busy but said "not to worry." Got replaced under warranty at friendly Tesla dealer in Scottsdale. (Thank you!) Other than that, car's performance was great. Even so, for better visibility and egress, have traded S for an X. Sure would love to redo trip in the X ...even with less range. Loved the twisting, hilly detour drive between Groveland (due to landslides) and Yosemite that really showed off the amazing proficiency (and fun!!) of regenerative breaking, tremendous power and low center of gravity. What a car!! (X even more so!!!)

Reactions: azmodls
First trip was day of delivery from CT to a weekend wedding in NJ then to visit family.

Experienced 2 mph charging at a Marriotts golf cart outlet, supercharging and 4 mph charging at my in-laws before installing a 14-50 in their garage. Learned a bunch about range anxiety and also how ez pass did not work at all on my 2013's windshield and I had to get an external transponder to mount behind the front bumper.

View attachment 241594

The classic RWD S holds 9 Pepe's pizzas in the frunk.

View attachment 241595

Shortly after did a week away in Narragansett RI and realized how much this car could hold for a family of 5 and that there is free charging/parking in Newport for EV's.

View attachment 241596 View attachment 241597 View attachment 241598 View attachment 241600 View attachment 241601
View attachment 241599
First trip was day of delivery from CT to a weekend wedding in NJ then to visit family.

Experienced 2 mph charging at a Marriotts golf cart outlet, supercharging and 4 mph charging at my in-laws before installing a 14-50 in their garage. Learned a bunch about range anxiety and also how ez pass did not work at all on my 2013's windshield and I had to get an external transponder to mount behind the front bumper.

View attachment 241594

The classic RWD S holds 9 Pepe's pizzas in the frunk.

View attachment 241595

Shortly after did a week away in Narragansett RI and realized how much this car could hold for a family of 5 and that there is free charging/parking in Newport for EV's.

View attachment 241596 View attachment 241597 View attachment 241598 View attachment 241600 View attachment 241601
View attachment 241599

As a "reservationist" I have enjoyed reading many first trip reports. Your mention of difficulty with EZ Pass is a concern since this is the first time I've heard it mentioned. Is it still necessary to mount an external transponder or is the standard windshield mount working now.

As a "reservationist" I have enjoyed reading many first trip reports. Your mention of difficulty with EZ Pass is a concern since this is the first time I've heard it mentioned. Is it still necessary to mount an external transponder or is the standard windshield mount working now.
They resolved this in later release's and several have had success with the newer slimmer internal eZpass transponders working if mounted in a small area near the rear view mirror that does not have a metallic portion.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Picked up the car at the factory in Fremont on tuesday. First road trip was two days later from home at Lake Tahoe through Death Valley to Las Vegas to see our daughter who was attending a convention there.
Problem at that time (Feb 2015) the only Supercharger between our home and Las Vegas was Lone Pine. It was a real squeaker (helped by the net downhill elevation change to get from Lake Tahoe to Lone Pine (5 miles remaining). Next day was the same driving through Death Valley to Las Vegas... arrived with a full cushion of 25 miles range in Las Vegas.
On the return, we stayed overnight in Furnace Creek and they set us up with a 14-50 RV socket to make it up the hill to Lone Pine. Also had to stop in Gardnerville for dinner and a small top up charge at a community charge station. Final trip up to the lake was through a snow storm and arrived home with 7 miles of range left (turned the heat off and bundled up).
Great trip!!
Since then they've added chargers at Topaz Lake (Gardnerville), Mammoth and Beatty, NV so don't have to hypermile the route... I still think US 395 is the most beautiful road in the US.

We picked up our 2017 Model S 75 in July and within 3 weeks we went on 2400 miles road trip from North Texas to Asheville, NC. We stayed in Pigeon Forge, TN on the way (one of our favorite vacations spots). Covered a decent chunk(s) of Blue Ridge Parwkay (Asheville was our starting point): 136 mile during one day, ~125 miles on another occasion. Proud to report the car did fine checking at Mt Mitchell (highest peak in the Eastern US), "climbing" as high as 6578 ft. Nothing beats open windows and pano roof, AC off and just a hum of tires...

We haven't had any range anxiety during the whole trip. PlugShare does a great job suggesting lvl 2 chargers where dedicated Tesla spots are not available :)

The summer of 2016 wife and I did a circumnavigation around the USA. From North California, to Death Valley, over to So
Cal, along Route 66 to Ok, down to NOLA, across to Kennedy space center to see a launch, north to Blue Ridge Parkway, Cape Cod, Nh, Finger Lakes, Ny, Niagara Falls, into Canada, back in via Port Huron, crossed Lake Michigan on the Badger, into North Dakota, South Dakota, Yellowstone, Washington, along Oregon coast to home. Over 12,170 miles. Only cost was one charge in Oregon ($4.00). Notably, there are no charging sources in North Dakota. We spent 52 days on the road and it was glorious!

The summer of 2016 wife and I did a circumnavigation around the USA. From North California, to Death Valley, over to So
Cal, along Route 66 to Ok, down to NOLA, across to Kennedy space center to see a launch, north to Blue Ridge Parkway, Cape Cod, Nh, Finger Lakes, Ny, Niagara Falls, into Canada, back in via Port Huron, crossed Lake Michigan on the Badger, into North Dakota, South Dakota, Yellowstone, Washington, along Oregon coast to home. Over 12,170 miles. Only cost was one charge in Oregon ($4.00). Notably, there are no charging sources in North Dakota. We spent 52 days on the road and it was glorious!
Wow! You're my hero. Been toying with a coast-to-coast trip (SF to Quebec to Acadia National Park). The Badger CarFerry was a revelation. Didn't know of it.

Went on my first trip with my MS. Put 2600 miles on from Portland to Billings MT to Cody WY to Jackson WY to Park City UT and back to Portland OR. Superchargers were great. Had to use a campground for charging in Cody,WY but all went well. The CC as great and the autopilot was ok but at times iffy. All and all it work well and charging was great as well. Looking forward to our next trip.

A couple of weeks after I took delivery of S #1 in 2013, a 60...the supercharger in ft myers opened. That meant my desire to drive my fabulous new electric car to our already planned trip to ft Lauderdale could be fulfilled. One obstacle, my better half is a glass half empty kinda guy. So, I cleared my work calendar and drove the 3 hours to be at the grand opening of the SC in ft myers! That way, he'd know I had done it with no issues and be less nervous about the trip. So Tampa bay to ft Lauderdale happened and it was awesome. He just got really tired of me exclaiming every 15 minutes, "IT'S LIKE WE'RE ON AN ADVENTURE!"

Then, I drove that 60 by myself from Tampa to Charlotte. It was dicey, as I had one stretch between superchargers that was 171 miles. I pulled in to Savannah with 6 miles left on my very first solo road trip, and I wasn't even too nervous.

We drove the 60 Tampa to Boston, and that was a lot of fun. Apparently I thought there would be no food outside of FL, because I packed enough to survive in the wilderness for weeks. I don't know what I was thinking.

Many more trips Tampa to Charlotte were made in the 60, pre-TACC, pre-AP, blah blah. All amazing. And then...I sold her. I had a shiny new 90D in production! She's been to Charlotte so many times, and we drove her to Lafayette, IN last year (thanks, @RogerHScott , for organizing a lovely drive along the Wabash. Tesla owners are awesome). AP and Summon are life changing, and I had 26,000 miles on the new S in a year.

On one of our charging stops on the IN trip, we were happy to have a LEAF owner come by to say hello. He had seen my post and tracker, so knew when we'd be pulling in. He was working on getting into an S at the end of his LEAF lease (say that 3 times fast).

I was so happy to recently receive a PM from that now former LEAF driver, letting me know he'd taken delivery of his beautiful new S!

Reactions: navguy12
1st Tesla: 3/2015 S P85D (RED) battery capacity 253 miles - picked it up in Portland OR and drove it home to North of Boston, MA.
Illness in the Oregon family: drove cross country and back one more time in P85D. Even a couple years ago you couldn't get across Missouri - no SuperChargers. The road ended at the Kansas boarder - I managed with ChargePoint that one time.
2nd Tesla: 9/2016 S P100D (RED) battery capacity 315 miles - picked it up in Portland OR again, visited family then drove it home (north of Boston, MA).
Continuing illness in Oregon family. Drove P100D cross country (Boston to OR coast) and back in February 2017, and again in April 2017.
8 times cross country in my two Model Ss. Car so hot looking I can't go out to buy groceries without having someone pull up and rev their motor, trying to tempt me to show them what I've got. (Deep sigh.)
3rd Tesla on order delivery next month (9/2017): Model X (!) P100D (RED/black wheels) - Have decided I love driving/traveling so much in my TESLAs that I am going to sell my house (very empty nester) buy an Airstream (20', 5,000 lbs) and, now that OR family illness has passed, want to go out and explore - will be moving into Airstream with my two dogs, run my business out of the back of my Tesla when I want - retirement is good! Must-have belongings in storage. Will settle somewhere, condo or something, eventually, as a home base. Till then...
Happy trails - no distance angst here. Ever. In 50,000+ miles have saved over $12,000 in gas. Enjoy!