Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC 14/50 limited to 32 amps... WHY?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does as do their investors. Liability, lawsuits, money... all that stuff you might not care about.

Easier said than done for some people.
  1. Most people who have those don't "know" since their electrician and inspector said it's up to code, they have no choice but to trust them since they simply don't know any better. If they have a friend with a Tesla who also isn't aware of this, I bet they'd rather the Tesla mobile charger was limited to 32A.
  2. Even if they find out, "fixing" it would not be covered under any kind of builder and/or electrical work warranty, since it's up to code. Fixing this may be very costly. Say they have such NEMA-14-50 on 40A , the cost of wiring a new 50A circuit could be $1K-$5K. Most people don't want to spend that kind of money for a friend or family member who might visit one day. 50A is not needed for an oven or dryer, but if they ever have a friend with a Tesla with an old 40A charger who wants to plug in through an extension cord sticking out the window, it would be good to have it upgraded. Or you could just ask the friend to crank down the charging current to 32A. Or, might be cheaper to buy and install an HPWC or even just a proper additional NEMA-14-50 in the garage right next to the breaker panel on a 50A , 3ft long circuit.
Bottom line is there are already existing NEMA-14-50's out there that will not be rewired, hence the problem cannot be avoided. The only way to fix this long term is to come up with a whole new 50A NEMA socket, make sure the code says you have to supply it with a 50A circuit, then Tesla can sell an adapter to that socket which will allow 40A draw.
None of which applies to the post I was addressing which was saying that someone who had a questionable socket at home should leave their 14-50 adapter in it to try and make it work.

Gen1 UMC no longer availabile at Tesla online Store.
So this appears to be a gen2 style 40AMP Charger with a dedicated 14/50 plug.
Anyone have additional insight on this? GEN2 benefits beyond flat plug?
Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector
View attachment 288621
Almost the only advantage is that it had a flatter plug and no adapter needed so one less point of failure. Also it can do 40 amp charging instead of 32 amps that the Gen 2 MC does. We have one because we needed the flatter plug. Eventually we will replace it with the signature wall connector but that will require an electrician to install.

Reactions: derkan
None of which applies to the post I was addressing which was saying that someone who had a questionable socket at home should leave their 14-50 adapter in it to try and make it work.
I think you confused some threads. Follow it upstream, it started with you responding to my comment about Tesla being blamed, etc - you asked who cares about the blame, so I answered. Similar about your other comment. Maybe somewhere else you said something about leaving their 14-50 adapter and making it work?

I took my MS in to the service center today with a charging issue. They determined the problem to be with my 40A corded cable. I’ve used it for almost a year without issue. Didn’t realize it until I got home but they replaced it with a 32A cable. Should I call back and ask for a 40A cable? I’m a little upset but the difference in charging rate is negligible.

I took my MS in to the service center today with a charging issue. They determined the problem to be with my 40A corded cable. I’ve used it for almost a year without issue. Didn’t realize it until I got home but they replaced it with a 32A cable. Should I call back and ask for a 40A cable? I’m a little upset but the difference in charging rate is negligible.
Note that 40A mobile connector is "corded" meaning you cannot use it with anything other than NEMA-14-50. If that's your fixed charger (i.e. it is permanently plugged in where you park) and if it was me, I would ask for the 40A version. On the other hand, if 32A vs. 40A doesn't make a difference to you, then may not be worth the hassle.

Note that 40A mobile connector is "corded" meaning you cannot use it with anything other than NEMA-14-50. If that's your fixed charger (i.e. it is permanently plugged in where you park) and if it was me, I would ask for the 40A version. On the other hand, if 32A vs. 40A doesn't make a difference to you, then may not be worth the hassle.
Thanks! I didn’t realize the “corded” 40A charger didn’t have any other adapters.

In addition, North America does not have a 40A receptacle, it only has a 30A or a 50A .....snip......
really? guess we better give Home Depot a call & return this bad boy -
;)
used for our HPWC - with its switches set @ 48amps. Prior to the self install (60amp breaker & 6 gauge short wire run), & using the portable - our UMC never got the least bit warm on this circuit.
download-1.jpg

just sayin' .... 50amp isn't the biggest for N. Americans .... & we shouldn't blame the 40amp UMC - it's been running great now for over 3yrs. quick note though - re charging - does anyone know if the UMC is programmable like the CHAdeMO adapter?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
just sayin' .... 50amp isn't the biggest for N. Americans
You are pulling quite the attitude disagreeing with something he never said. Read it again:
"In addition, North America does not have a 40A receptacle, it only has a 30A or a 50A receptacle."

@Cosmacelf never said that there are no outlets larger than 50A. He said there are 30 and 50 type, but no 40 type in between.

That is a little fascinating, though, that the label shows that is a 15-60, and the 15- series of outlets are 3 phase type. So I am a little curious where and how you used that to connect a wall connector with that outlet. 3 phase isn't very commonly available in North America, and the North American version wall connectors are not built to use 3 phase connections.

And I'm also a little confused what you used, since you say you used that outlet for both your wall connector and mobile connector. Tesla has never offered a 15-60 plug for the mobile connector.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Well he said "self install" and "home depot" and "HPWC", so it sounds like something not done to code or what you would expect a trained electrician to do...

@hill - are you using that 15-60 socket with 3-phase power?

If you are running "split-phase" 48amp current draw through that socket, and use a 15-60 plug on your HPWC you may running things "out of spec" and could be doing something risky.

3 Phase Power vs Single Phase Power • OEM Panels
Know the Difference Between Three-Phase and Single-Phase Power

Note, the picture you posted shows "3P-4W" in the lower right corner...

download-1-jpg.367033

Document-35433-Wiring_Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
If @hill 's picture is correct, I'm guessing he used a 15-60 plug and receptacle for his split phase residential power because he wanted a 60A receptacle, and Home Depot probably only carries the 15-60 (and not the rarely used NEMA 14-60). This is a pretty bad thing to do. Running split phase 240V into and out of the receptacle probably works OK, but it is so not code compliant for the obvious reason that the receptacle isn't wired correctly. It's unlikely some random dude is going to try to plug in a 3 phase, say, commercial ice machine, into that receptacle down the line, but that's the problem with mis-wiring receptacles. People generally expect receptacles to be wired correctly and that one can't be with a residential house power supply (unless he's doing this at work with a 3-phase circuit, in which case he has other problems as others have mentioned above).

Anyways, this also begs the question as to why you are using a receptacle in the first place. The HPWC is designed to be hardwired. Sure you can attach a pigtail plug, but why? And doing so isn't to code anymore anyways, IIRC.

Oh, and thanks for jumping to my defense, @Rocky_H!

Reactions: mspohr and Rocky_H
I'm guessing he either searched for the wrong number when he sourced the picture and he actually used a 14-60, or he installed it at a commercial location, and it really is wired 3 phase. There's no reason a UMC couldn't be plugged into a properly wired 15-60,.

Reactions: hill