Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New updates which I can't acess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In talking with my rep at the service center, there are a number of small upgrades to the 7.0 software that haven't been issued over the air and will only be uploaded when the car is in for service-- why can't I have them now?? I have a friend of mine in Seattle who went in last week for a standard tire rotation, and after having previously downloaded version 7.0 found that the subsequent add-ons took another 2 hours to download much to his surprise, whereas he'd been told to be in & out in a matter of minutes.

WTF -- what does it take to get these downloads OTA?

Is Teslas trying to be like Russian Ladas?

At times I truly can't reconcile why I spent $120,000 for such a piece of **** and such poor service. At this point I will never by another Tesla.

If Tesla thinks they are providing an "excellent experience" they'd better get their head out of the sand and realize the overall ownership experience from the time of placing the deposit is completely full of ****. From personal experience it's worse than Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, and 40+years of Mercedes. Other than that, they're doing a great job.

pdq

At times I truly can't reconcile why I spent $120,000 for such a piece of **** and such poor service. At this point I will never by another Tesla.

pdq

My wifey says you should sell your Tesla to someone who thinks it is a amazing piece of tech, not a piece of ****.

At least someone will be happy. I surely like mine. I have the same version of 7.0 that you do, I imagine. Seems to do fine. And I only have TWO clocks!

I hope you enjoy your new Toyota. :smile:

OP, sorry you're torqued off.

Reality is, as Jennifer said, these are just small minor tweaks to the code that in Tesla's opinion, don't warrant a broader and likely more costly distribution. Some of us have discussed this ad infinatum in other threads here if you're interested why that may be. Rather than repeat that whole train of thought over again, I'd net it out to (even though I'm sure someone else will want to provide a caveat of some sort to my abbreviated attempt): It is typical in most every software development shop of any size -- especially ones that are delivering mission critical systems like SW for our Tesla -- to not provide broad distribution of intermediate code to everyone, but do it on a more limited basis as they deem appropriate. Some owners want to not feel left out and want everything everyone else has at exactly the same time. I understand that growing desire in our society today, but as an X-software support guy, it's not a realistic expectation for nearly anything, including our Tesla's, IMHO. For me, having the Service Center download intermediate software levels is generally a bonus -- yet, other threads have situations where some owners have told the SCs to NOT install any updates if it can be avoided...

Lastly, and only because of the example you cited in a thread about updates you don't have: I appreciate you're upset, but also don't forget, none of those other brands you quote as having superior service do ANY OTA firmware updates. From my experience with Ford, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, BMW and MBZ also for 40+ years of ownership, any intermediate firmware updates I received for my vehicles were 100% delivered via the dealer, and almost always only for specific fixes for specific problems or recalls -- not just because the mfgr wants to provide occasional broader updates to the existing fleet like Tesla has done, or even because a customer asks for an update because they've heard about it, or want to have what their neighbor does.

Sometimes updates are relevant only for a small range of cars, either because you don't have the right options or your hardware doesn't match up. Further, Tesla does staged rollouts as a form of testing to try to avoid bugs that affect too many vehicles at once. For many, getting the absolute latest releases the earliest and therefore potentially the least tested releases early is not a good thing.

My wifey says you should sell your Tesla to someone who thinks it is a amazing piece of tech, not a piece of ****.

At least someone will be happy. I surely like mine. I have the same version of 7.0 that you do, I imagine. Seems to do fine. And I only have TWO clocks!

I hope you enjoy your new Toyota. :smile:

The new update gives you 3 clocks! One in IC, one in 17", and one hidden analog one.

You may be confusing me with the OP. I love my car. But would gladly exchange one clock for a compass in the IC or Display full-time.

And I doubt the OP has ever had to wait in line at any of those other car co's just to get service started or he would not have started this post. That is the main reason I am considering a CPO Tesla for my dd even though all other common-sense tells me otherwise. Those other car co's - recent experience with Honda with my 17 y/old's Civic, and with Jeep with my mother's SUV - really make me appreciate Tesla's incomparable service.

Methinks a troll abounds?

I do find it odd that there hasn't been a single OTA update (that I'm aware of) since the release of V7.0.

With that being said I don't think there is anything to get worked up by unless one is completely OCD, and must have the latest version. It's probably better to spend time talking about what has you so eff'd up about your Tesla. There are definitely parts of the Tesla experience that need to be improved especially consistency. Like I've had an awesome experience with Service, and a mixed experience with the delivery experience. The only terrible thing about my entire Tesla experience is the Tesla Store. I don't even want to get started about how much I despise the Tesla Store and everything about it. Love the car though.

Literally installing a 7.0 OTA right now, but to be fair I was on update .101 of 7.0 prior to this, so I might be unique. SC did install the update to fix a vibration issue I was having but it seemed most weren't with AP.

I'm also in the group that has seen only one 7.0 update (believe I'm still on .57).

Tesla's software distribution strategy can be frustrating - since it can appear random - often with starts and stops in the process (when new bugs are discovered) and owners having no idea of when (or if) they will ever get an specific update.

Taking your car in for service is often the most reliable way to get new updates, though if you want to get "in and out" quickly, you should tell them NOT to install the latest updates - since that process can take 1-2 hours (depending upon the update).

Since the other major manufacturers are not (currently) distributing software updates frequently to their cars, Tesla is unique - at least in the car industry. There is a lot of experience in distributing frequent software updates for other products (such as smartphones or computers), and there's certainly room for improvement in how Tesla distributes updates.

As Tesla increases the number of cars on the road - and shifts to supporting the much higher volume Model 3's, it's likely they'll also have to make some significant improvements in their software release strategy - because they may find an increasing number of their owners want more control over what software is installed - and when - and more information on what's included in new releases - before the software is installed.

My response is a pretty simple comparison: Wait for Tesla to update my Model S OR I take my Chevy to dealer and argue that I need my software updated while some service guy tells me "updates just create new problems" then spend a day waiting for the dealer to get around to it.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

-- why can't I have them now??

veruca-salt-edit.jpg

Just got my car back

It was updated to 7.0 - 2.7.77

among a bunch of other corrections and updates

only thing I noticed is the outside temp was moved on the IC and the second hand on the analog clock is now blue, will look for other changes.

Got 7.0 (2.7.56) upgrade OTA end of October OTA, got 2.7.106 OTA Nov 6, and last night I got 2.9.12 OTA. none of these were done at a service centre. So yes, they do them OTA since 7.0
I've only had the car about 5 weeks and I'm on my 4th firmware version, that seems like a lot to me!

Since the other major manufacturers are not (currently) distributing software updates frequently to their cars, Tesla is unique - at least in the car industry. There is a lot of experience in distributing frequent software updates for other products (such as smartphones or computers), and there's certainly room for improvement in how Tesla distributes updates.

I would re-word this just a bit. It's the general policy from most manufacturers that at least some software (ECM/BCM/etc.) should/must be upgraded by their service technicians each time they are in for service - the difference here is that Tesla does it more often because of over-the-air capabilities. If you took your Chevy into the dealer each week, you'd have a fairly current car. I believe this would entitle Jaguar to the "most updated car" title in the industry today.

I think Tesla could probably improve their product here. Having an "on-demand" download of software would cure a lot of the "I want my software now!" threads that appear here. There are two obvious downsides to this approach, however: 1) anyone who's ever downloaded an Apple OS within 3 days of its release has experienced what happens in a surge situation, with timeouts on the download and/or very long download times; and 2) Tesla loses a piece of its staggered deployment strategy that helps to maintain quality - over time, Tesla has found a few bugs when released to production that needed to be fixed.

2) is pretty critical when you're talking about control software for a few tons on wheels, compared to a stationary computer. "More beta testing" helps to reduce the chance that you'll find one of these bugs, but won't fix the problem (and may exacerbate the problem).

Just got my car back

It was updated to 7.0 - 2.7.77

among a bunch of other corrections and updates

only thing I noticed is the outside temp was moved on the IC and the second hand on the analog clock is now blue, will look for other changes.
There's another clock back in the IC. :biggrin: 3 now.

I got used to the temp being in the 17" and so did my passengers. They usually know what time it is, cellphones and all, but often not the temp. I miss it. And would love a compass in its place.