Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New use in the trunk for Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk/puddle lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
I found a new use for Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk/puddle lights. I took four of Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk lights and surface mounted them into my parcel shelf bracket. I wired them from the backside and routed power from the factory corner trunk light connection. With 3 sets of 2 now on each side of my trunk, there’s a flood of light into the trunk. Nice, simple looking and looks factory. I have pictures, but am unable to post them here.

I made a pattern by drawing the backside/inside dimensions of the Abstract Ocean light. (Jump ahead a little. I had to increase the inside of the pattern a little larger at least twice). I removed the parcel shelf bracket and traced with a black marker on the bracket. Then using a Dremel cutting disc, I cut a rectangular hole and adjusted the hole until the lamp fit.
The holes, two on each bracket, are about 2 inches and 8 inches from the bracket's end closest to the trunk opening.

I had the housings and terminals that make up the male power connectors that match the factory Tesla puddle lights and Abstract Ocean lights. I made a short harness with two male connectors to connect the two lights to a single female connector.

I made a second harness for each side. These are about 30 inch harness (no picture) from the same housing and terminals (connectors). I did this so I could extend the power from the trunk corner light and bring the power up to the new harness at the parcel shelf lights. This harness also had one female and two male connectors. One female and one mail connector are close together. I unplug the corner light and use the car's male connector into the female connector on the 30 inch harness to power the harness. Then the near male connector plugs into the corner light to restore power to it. (The snapped it back into the fuzzy at the corner.) I pulled the trunk fuzzy down and tucked the new longer harness up to the parcel shelf bracket and plugged the second male connector it into backside of the bracket harness to power the lights.

If you have already bought a set of four of Abstract Ocean's lights and you have the original Tesla lights as spares, you can use them too. However why did we but the Abstract Ocean lights in the first place? Because they produced 16 times brighter than the original.

I've not been able to upload any pictures to TMC in a while, so sorry, but I am unable to share what these look like installed yet.

I've not been able to upload any pictures to TMC in a while, so sorry, but I am unable to share what these look like installed yet

Try making your picture files smaller. Some phone camera's produce a filesize that the forum won't swallow. You can send them as email to yourself, most often this will shrink the file or you get the option to make them smaller.

I have a handfull of the original lights and this would be a nice use for them!

Its not a question of easy. The upload fails.

I found a new use for Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk/puddle lights. I took four of Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk lights and surface mounted them into my parcel shelf bracket. I wired them from the backside and routed power from the factory corner trunk light connection. With 3 sets of 2 now on each side of my trunk, there’s a flood of light into the trunk. Nice, simple looking and looks factory. I have pictures, but am unable to post them here.

I made a pattern by drawing the backside/inside dimensions of the Abstract Ocean light. (Jump ahead a little. I had to increase the inside of the pattern a little larger at least twice). I removed the parcel shelf bracket and traced with a black marker on the bracket. Then using a Dremel cutting disc, I cut a rectangular hole and adjusted the hole until the lamp fit.
The holes, two on each bracket, are about 2 inches and 8 inches from the bracket's end closest to the trunk opening.

I had the housings and terminals that make up the male power connectors that match the factory Tesla puddle lights and Abstract Ocean lights. I made a short harness with two male connectors to connect the two lights to a single female connector.

I made a second harness for each side. These are about 30 inch harness (no picture) from the same housing and terminals (connectors). I did this so I could extend the power from the trunk corner light and bring the power up to the new harness at the parcel shelf lights. This harness also had one female and two male connectors. One female and one mail connector are close together. I unplug the corner light and use the car's male connector into the female connector on the 30 inch harness to power the harness. Then the near male connector plugs into the corner light to restore power to it. (The snapped it back into the fuzzy at the corner.) I pulled the trunk fuzzy down and tucked the new longer harness up to the parcel shelf bracket and plugged the second male connector it into backside of the bracket harness to power the lights.

If you have already bought a set of four of Abstract Ocean's lights and you have the original Tesla lights as spares, you can use them too. However why did we but the Abstract Ocean lights in the first place? Because they produced 16 times brighter than the original.

I've not been able to upload any pictures to TMC in a while, so sorry, but I am unable to share what these look like installed yet.

Posting for Akikiki..

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2540.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51 and MP3Mike

Where did you get the Tesla style plugs and sockets? They seem to be a non standard design?

Where did you get the Tesla style plugs and sockets? They seem to be a non standard design?

Dborn, yes they are non-standard. I've spent a lot of time identifying them. Easy to find if you know the numbers.

Puddle Light Male Connector - Top part 1-1534112-1
1534112-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
Puddle Light Male Receptacle Housing - Bottom part 1-1534113-1
1-1534113-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
Puddle Light Terminal Female Pin 963715-5
963715-5 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
Puddle Light Tab Housing - Pin Female end 1-1534155-1
1-1534155-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
Puddle Light Terminal Male Pin 1-928918-1
1-928918-1 (Cut Strip) TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
Puddle Light Tab Housing Pin Cover 1-1534027-1
1534027-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser

There you go essmd, happy now? I had a good friend do it for me, because I permissions are not allowing me to do so.

Indeed, I am happy, and want to congratulate you on being so clever.

That is an excellent addition and much needed since the existing lighting is inadequate, even with the upgraded AO lights.

I added a LED strip light with motion sensor attached to the underside of the hood to illuminate the frunk when my cargo divider or other contents are covering up the side mounted lights. Even my "57 Chevy has an overhead light installed, albeit in the engine bay.

The wiring harness connectors are a great find, thanks for posting the source.

Thanks, especially for miking the extra effort to post the pics, Nanimac helped us all out.

Reactions: Akikiki
I thoughtI had this figured out, but the last pic confuses me.

What is that black anchor-shaped hook? I suspect it is a standard part of the Model S, as there is nothing like that on the Model X.

Just wanted to figure out how to apply this on an X.

Thanks

You do have it figured out. Don't let that extra accessory throw your thinking. Its a cargo trunk double hook that I picked up on Amazon and have added to all my Model S's. It folds down and you can hang reusable bags and stuff to it to prevent them from falling over. It had already been added so, I didn't remove it just to take the pictures.

Here it is. They are great add-ons. Several versions exists. This happens to be the one I used.
Amazon.com: Zeltauto 180° Rotatable Cargo Trunk Bag Double Hook Kit For VW Passat CC B6 Jetta Audi A4 S4 2002-2012, Automobile Rear box Organizer Hook with Nylon Strap: Automotive

You do have it figured out. Don't let that extra accessory throw your thinking. Its a cargo trunk double hook that I picked up on Amazon and have added to all my Model S's. It folds down and you can hang reusable bags and stuff to it to prevent them from falling over. It had already been added so, I didn't remove it just to take the pictures.

Here it is. They are great add-ons. Several versions exists. This happens to be the one I used.
Amazon.com: Zeltauto 180° Rotatable Cargo Trunk Bag Double Hook Kit For VW Passat CC B6 Jetta Audi A4 S4 2002-2012, Automobile Rear box Organizer Hook with Nylon Strap: Automotive

My "hat off" to your sense of practical application...

Reactions: Akikiki

Wow! I just came across this, such useful information. Thank you! Just one question..... What AWG wire do these connectors accept? It looks like 20 or 22 maybe? Thanks again for posting this!

The connectors accept 22. Wow, thanks for bumping this one. I've not seen this post in years.
I am sort of OCD for using factory ro OEM equipment when possible. The OEM connectors are posted also somewhere in another post from me. They are a pain to get and use. The pins must be bought in min count.
Here you are, found it on Teslatap where I submitted it to him for posting. Lights – How to Improve Trunk Lighting 2 | TeslaTap

I did the puddle light install the same time that I was doing the footwell cover holder Footwell Cover Holder | TeslaTap
I use this ever time I am at a grocery store.

In the mean time, these are handy and even fit inside the puddle lights and connect to the pins inside. Cheap too easy to find.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z04JJF...olid=15HQ7GDPC8HGQ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it