Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs Old Rear Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't matter to *me* at all. While the cargo-carrying capacity of the car is important to me, I care a lot about how crappy the original rear seats were. A cargo floor that was never flat in the first place, and is now a degree or two higher is of no consequence to me. It will still hold the same amount of cargo when the fluffy bolsters are squashed by my cargo... or by me sleeping back there.

I was responding to your comment where you said you were glad that it was flatter. I haven't seen any solid indication that it *is* flatter... and if so, by how much.

Last edited:
My kids are 6' tall and they still find the rear seat uncomfortable compared to our MDX and Fusion.

Mine too, but then I tell them how we had three kids in the back of a 1970 Camaro growing up and tell to buck-up!

70RearSeat.jpg

That's how it is for everyone. Tesla just does it faster. With other carmakers, your 2018 model purchase makes you a guinea pig for 2019 models. And the people who waited for 2019 models will be guinea pigs for 2020 models. And eventually when the carmaker has all issues sorted and the car is just about perfect for what they want it to be, they change the whole design of the car and start all over again. o_O
OR, we could hope that then Tesla will completely dominate this Model 3 niche and ONLY those that must be different will buy other cars.

Well, I can dream ...

I have vin 184xx and have the old style rear seat 4/18 build date and everyone who sits back there complains that its to low.

I don't know which version was in the car I sat at in the local store that finally got one to show, but it was pretty terrible. No support for my legs at all and I'm only 5'10". I don't see how it would be comfortable on a drive longer than a few minutes for anyone other than children or maybe very small women.

I'm thinking back to that California detail shop where he had the photos and video of him sitting in the back seat and he goes on and on about how much room there is and how great it is and that he's 6' tall.

That guy is a liar.

Tell them they can walk.... :)

I have 2 sons, one 6 ft tall and the other 6' 4" but they are 28 and 21 yrs. old now so this is the first time my wife and I bought a new car without considering the rear seat comfort, do I wish it were a little roomier and comfortable? sure but I still would not trade it for anything else in this price range and like you said they can always walk!

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
I don't know which version was in the car I sat at in the local store that finally got one to show, but it was pretty terrible. No support for my legs at all and I'm only 5'10". I don't see how it would be comfortable on a drive longer than a few minutes for anyone other than children or maybe very small women.

I'm thinking back to that California detail shop where he had the photos and video of him sitting in the back seat and he goes on and on about how much room there is and how great it is and that he's 6' tall.

That guy is a liar.
Watch the video and scroll to 2:45 where he gets into the back of a Model S. FWIW, it looks just as “uncomfortable” and nobody is complaining about those rear seats.

Now we see the wisdom behind the delayed ramp up in production of the Model 3 at Tesla. Doesn't it makes sense to work out the braking, seating and other quality issues before the production is ramped up? Besides ride comfort, I would say seating comfort comes in a close second for determining a cars popularity. Toyota always seemed to have more comfortable seats than Honda especially early on.

I recently sat in a new Airbus going from London to Paris that had incredibly thin seats that were so comfortable (you could actually sleep because your head was not pushed so far forward that it keeps falling into your lap) and made by Recaro. These are clearly the future of seating in planes as they take up much less room, are lighter weight and are soooo comfortable. Tesla may want to look into this advanced design. Just my 2 cents.

Now we see the wisdom behind the delayed ramp up in production of the Model 3 at Tesla. Doesn't it makes sense to work out the braking, seating and other quality issues before the production is ramped up?

...no?

It makes sense to work those out before production starts

Because changes after that are much more expensive to the company.

Even moreso on things like the suspension where you also will swap the new parts on old cars at company expense if owners ask.

People seem to forget, Tesla/Elon pushed up the introduction of Model 3 by 2 years

Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia
"Industry experts were dubious when, in May 2016, Tesla announced its decision to advance its 500,000 total-unit build plan (combined for Model S, Model X, and Model 3) to 2018, two years earlier than previously planned, in order to accelerate its target for Model 3 output.[34][35][36] As predicted, there were "production bottlenecks" and "production hell". Tesla issued US$2 billion in new shares to the stock market to finance the plan.[37]"

I'd say a brave/bold move - "industry experts were dubious".

Those who complain the loudest should probably stick to the original plans and not consider purchase of Model 3 until the 3rd year of production - which would be the original timeline.

People seem to forget, Tesla/Elon pushed up the introduction of Model 3 by 2 years

"Industry experts were dubious when, in May 2016, Tesla announced its decision to advance its 500,000 total-unit build plan (combined for Model S, Model X, and Model 3) to 2018, two years earlier than previously planned, in order to accelerate its target for Model 3 output.[34][35][36] As predicted, there were "production bottlenecks" and "production hell". Tesla issued US$2 billion in new shares to the stock market to finance the plan.[37]"
Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

I'd say a brave/bold move - "industry experts were dubious".

Those who complain the loudest should probably stick to the original plans and not consider purchase of Model 3 until the 3rd year of production - which would be the original timeline.

So glad you pointed this out, I've been trying to tell people the Model 3 is not late, it's actually early, but the flood of negative news to the contrary seems to dominate. The design to build ramp-up of the Model 3 has been quite fast compared to new introductions of ICE cars. And as far as EVs are concerned the Model 3 seems to be doing better than other EVs. They stopped producing the Ioniq due to supply constraints, the Bolt is down to a trickle, Nissan can't produce enough Leafs to keep up with demand and the iPace.... does anyone have one yet? And you many be asking, what does this have to do with seats.... not much really. ;)

Nissan Can't Keep Up With LEAF Demand - Over 35,000 Orders Placed
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Sales Constrained By Battery Shortage | CleanTechnica

Just a remark - I'm considerably annoyed that such a simple thing wasn't considered before vehicle production began.
Just take 500 random people (factory workers?) and let them compare 5 vehicle. S*** it is that simple and it wasn't done!
Take C-class, 3-series, Volvo S60, something else similar and Model 3. Ask people to sit there for 5 minutes.
Take notes. Jesus.
If that wasn't done, makes me wonder, what else was designed purely in CADo_O

Same story with Model S missing door pockets, bad cupholders, tiny sunvisors.
History is repeating itself again and again.
Hard to close frunk: Model S, X and now 3.

Just a remark - I'm considerably annoyed that such a simple thing wasn't considered before vehicle production began.
Just take 500 random people (factory workers?) and let them compare 5 vehicle. S*** it is that simple and it wasn't done!
Take C-class, 3-series, Volvo S60, something else similar and Model 3. Ask people to sit there for 5 minutes.
Take notes. Jesus.

about 80,000,000 cars made each year
You seem to list your favorites? C-Class, 3 Series, Volvo S60
Why wasting your time here?? go buy what you want or wait for orignial timeline and see if Model 3 OK for you. Jesus.

• Disagree
Reactions: Guy V and arnis
Take notes. Jesus.

Just went for a drive in a BMW 3-Series today and noted about 10 annoying things in the design: Ridiculous cup holders in the dash that the driver can't reach, overly large rearview mirror blocking forward visibility, not enough tinting in the windows, fan speed that goes from nothing to a hurricane in one setting, mushy brakes, overly complex iDrive infotainment system, gear selector that you push forward to go backwards, creep that is way to fast, and... yes, uncomfortable rear seats where anyone over 5'9" hits their head on the ceiling. Cars are large complex objects that have to suit people of all sizes, shapes and opinions and they are really hard to get right.