Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs Old Rear Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went for a drive in a BMW 3-Series today and noted about 10 annoying things in the design: Ridiculous cup holders in the dash that the driver can't reach, overly large rearview mirror blocking forward visibility, not enough tinting in the windows, fan speed that goes from nothing to a hurricane in one setting, mushy brakes, overly complex iDrive infotainment system, gear selector that you push forward to go backwards, creep that is way to fast, and... yes, uncomfortable rear seats where anyone over 5'9" hits their head on the ceiling.
Don't get that cupholder statement. It's right there next to gear lever.
There is nothing to see if rear view mirror would be smaller. There is the camera/rainsensor stuff and also black dots for shading. Though I like Tesla's edgeless design more.
Tinting can be factory equipment but also aftermarket.
Fans speed has 7 manual settings and 5 autosettings. Did you use AUTO fanspeed adjustment? This setting depends on how far off is actual cabin temperature.
Mushy brakes? What? You mean soft when pushing slowly? BMW has lots of brake assist functions. For example if you press brake faster than usual though not hard, it will brake with a jerk. If you push slowly it will smooth out the deceleration event.
iDrive has been the crown of infotainment systems for 8 years. Pretty much all independent car reviews state that. I've not seen better solutions that do no require touching a screen.
Gear selector should always be that way - forward for reverse and backwards for forward. Visa versa is not safe, long story.
Creep is not sluggish, true, not sure it's bad.
5'9" might be too much for smaller sedan, though there is touring for those occasions. Maybe not in US.

Just a remark - I'm considerably annoyed that such a simple thing wasn't considered before vehicle production began.
Just take 500 random people (factory workers?) and let them compare 5 vehicle. S*** it is that simple and it wasn't done!
Take C-class, 3-series, Volvo S60, something else similar and Model 3. Ask people to sit there for 5 minutes.
Take notes. Jesus.
If that wasn't done, makes me wonder, what else was designed purely in CADo_O

Same story with Model S missing door pockets, bad cupholders, tiny sunvisors.
History is repeating itself again and again.
Hard to close frunk: Model S, X and now 3.
No, I don't think having any number of people evaluate the design would suit YOU. I think only having you evaluate it and make all the decisions for everyone else would do.

The frunk opening/closing issue has to do with Code regulations. As it is forward of the windshield, the frunk needs a second latch position making the operation a little more difficult.

Oh that's why BMW's new solution for convenient hood opening require two separate lever pulls.

Though as far as I've seen people just raise the frunk after pushing release with no secondary lever to pull/push up/left/right.

And opening the frunk is fine. It's about closing it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Blue in NC and DR61
Oh that's why BMW's new solution for convenient hood opening require two separate lever pulls.

Though as far as I've seen people just raise the frunk after pushing release with no secondary lever to pull/push up/left/right.

And opening the frunk is fine. It's about closing it.

Tesla releases both latches when you open the trunk making it easier to open, however, to close, you still need to push through both latches which is why it requires more force than the trunk.

I'm thinking there is a market for custom adult booster seats. I joke not. There is only so much space between the floor and ceiling of the back seat in the Model 3. Shorter people might enjoy better thigh support while sacrificing some head room, taller people might be able to get a wedge shaped seat that raises their knees while keeping their butt low so they still have head space while gaining some thigh support, and people in the middle might choose the one in the middle.

I recently sat in a new Airbus going from London to Paris that had incredibly thin seats that were so comfortable (you could actually sleep because your head was not pushed so far forward that it keeps falling into your lap) and made by Recaro.
I have a pair of 25 year old black fabric Recaro LS seats sitting in storage. Had them in my RX-7 for a little while. Wonder if there are seat brackets that will fit them...

With pretty much every other vehicle, user smashes the hood from 10 inches. And it passes both notches with no more fiddling.

It's a different system Tesla uses. I much prefer pressing one button on the screen or my phone to have the frunk open and not have to pull a lever under the dash and then fiddle for a second latch under the hood. Also, Tesla set up the resistance to have the frunk close slower - I prefer the slower closing and require a little more force to close than have the frunk close at free-fall.

I'm thinking there is a market for custom adult booster seats. I joke not. There is only so much space between the floor and ceiling of the back seat in the Model 3. Shorter people might enjoy better thigh support while sacrificing some head room, taller people might be able to get a wedge shaped seat that raises their knees while keeping their butt low so they still have head space while gaining some thigh support, and people in the middle might choose the one in the middle.

It is easier than that. They could put separate buckets in the back that had a lever that allowed the incline of the seat cushion to be raised or lowered.

Alternatively they could put a slide out thigh support that pulled out from the lip of the seat and came up a few inches to provide more leg support.

Either of these solutions costs $$ and so aren't going to happen.

Reactions: 9erDog
Back to the new versus old seats discussion - my wife and I got to sit in the new seats at the Buena Park SC yesterday afternoon as they had just gotten a red M3 for display this week. I had gotten to sit in both new and old earlier in the day at a meetup in the OC.

The new rear seats are far more comfortable for me (I'm 5' 9") with better thigh support as well as not causing my knees to be to too high compared to my hips. With the old rear seats, I would not want to be in the car for more than 15-30 minutes. With the new rear seats, I could handle a much longer trip (don't know how long as the SC would not let us drive off with the car for some reason).

Both my wife and I liked the new front seats but we preferred the old front seats. The new ones either have thicker side bolsters or the side bolsters are positioned a bit closer together and squeeze you in a bit more. It was a minor difference but we did notice it.

Overall we are glad to be (hopefully) getting the new seats (front and rear) when we take delivery (hopefully) in July.

Just went for a drive in a BMW 3-Series today and noted about 10 annoying things in the design: Ridiculous cup holders in the dash that the driver can't reach, overly large rearview mirror blocking forward visibility, not enough tinting in the windows, fan speed that goes from nothing to a hurricane in one setting, mushy brakes, overly complex iDrive infotainment system, gear selector that you push forward to go backwards, creep that is way to fast, and... yes, uncomfortable rear seats where anyone over 5'9" hits their head on the ceiling. Cars are large complex objects that have to suit people of all sizes, shapes and opinions and they are really hard to get right.

#fakenews

At the least, try to get some of the basic facts straight ... before sounding like an idiot :rolleyes:

Why?
We all slam doors and trunks (except soft close). Why not slam hood?
It may be due to the frunk being aluminum? My delivery rep showed me how to close it using two hands and a uniform pressure. However, now I just use one hand with thumb on one side of the emblem and four fingers spread around it. Uniform pressure, but not too much power to cause any damage to the hood.

Why?
We all slam doors and trunks (except soft close). Why not slam hood?
Err
Hate to point out one glaring difference between an ICE hood and a Tesla one.
Apart from the obvious lack of stinking engine in there, the ICE doesn’t have water proof seals to stop your gear from getting wet.
So they could make it easier to close by getting rid of the trunk type weather seals, but I’m guessing most of us would prefer a dry frunk :cool:
(Edit)
Darn it. I think I replied to the wrong person - doh!

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and 22522