Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wifi Wall Connector 48 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope they bring back the NEMA plug for it. I didn't get a chance to get one last time

It is possible to make your own. Go to a home improvement store and get a 14-50 pigtail that’s a few feet long (replacement cord for an appliance) and terminate the ends into the wall connector while capping the neutral. You basically have exactly what Tesla was selling with the added benefit that it is modular so you could easily disassemble and hardwire it in the future if you so choose.

It is possible to make your own. Go to a home improvement store and get a 14-50 pigtail that’s a few feet long (replacement cord for an appliance) and terminate the ends into the wall connector while capping the neutral. You basically have exactly what Tesla was selling with the added benefit that it is modular so you could easily disassemble and hardwire it in the future if you so choose.

You don't even need to leave the house to get one...Just point and click!

4' 14-50 Power Pigtail

What do you mean cap it.

just cut it short and put a wire nut on the end. A 14-50 cord has hot-hot-neutral-ground (four wires). The Tesla wall connector only uses hot-hot-ground (three wires). So you don’t use the neutral and just cap it since it is unused.

I just put a 14-50 pigtail cord on my new Gen 3 Wall Connector. Works great. Here's what it looks like before I mounted it:

View media item 120900View media item 120901

... just understand that the DIY add-on pigtail do not have overheating protection like the Tesla unit that comes with the NEMA 14-50.

Last edited:
I can’t help but wonder if the elimination of the higher amperage home charger has anything to do with Tesla not wanting the batteries charged that too high of a current too long or too many times. The throttled back our super charging power so maybe they’re trying to throttle back our home charging power now.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I can’t help but wonder if the elimination of the higher amperage home charger has anything to do with Tesla not wanting the batteries charged that too high of a current too long or too many times. The throttled back our super charging power so maybe they’re trying to throttle back our home charging power now.
16kw is barely trickle charging a 75+ kWh battery, like 0.2 C. So no, I don’t think so.

• Informative
Definitely not the case. I could make the argument that 80A is better for the battery than 48A as it heats the battery more and allows its average temperature to be more temperate. This argument breaks down in summer but 80A is still a very slow charge rate that would never be expected to harm a Tesla-size battery.

• Informative
16kw is barely trickle charging a 75+ kWh battery, like 0.2 C. So no, I don’t think so.
16kW is about three or four orders of magnitude more than trickle charging a 75kWh Li-ion battery.

Your point holds but many in the community misuse the term trickle charging as just a slow charge. It’s actually a charge rate that maintains a full charge accounting for the battery’s self-discharge rate. A trickle charge rate will NOT charge a battery; it will just maintain the current SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
16kW is about three or four orders of magnitude more than trickle charging a 75kWh Li-ion battery.

Your point holds but many in the community misuse the term trickle charging as just a slow charge. It’s actually a charge rate that maintains a full charge accounting for the battery’s self-discharge rate. A trickle charge rate will NOT charge a battery; it will just maintain the current SOC.
Did not know that. Thanks.

and each wall connector is individually breakered (no need to run #3 to each wall connector) and can split total power coming into a subpanel.
This has always been the case and is not new with the Gen 3 WC. You could put them on individual breakers and feed with whatever size circuit was necessary for your setup. #3 was never required if you didn't need 80A charging.

Agree. An 11.5kw charger can bring a 100kwh battery from dead to completely full in about 9 hours. If you need more than that quickly, get ye to thy supercharger.
We don't all live in CA, where you can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen Superchargers, ya know...:rolleyes:

Just last weekend, I was stranded for hours when the nav routed me through a dead Supercharger (Lincoln, NH), which was down for ~24 hrs before the nav caught on. What should have been a 15 minute bathroom stop turned into nearly 3 hours of charging at 16kW (80A@208V). A new, "improved," 48A car/wall connector would have meant another couple of hours on top of that.

• Informative
We don't all live in CA, where you can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen Superchargers, ya know...:rolleyes:

Just last weekend, I was stranded for hours when the nav routed me through a dead Supercharger (Lincoln, NH), which was down for ~24 hrs before the nav caught on. What should have been a 15 minute bathroom stop turned into nearly 3 hours of charging at 16kW (80A@208V). A new, "improved," 48A car/wall connector would have meant another couple of hours on top of that.
Super interesting, but I don’t think stuffing a bunch of expensive charging equipment in every car is a reasonable solution to the very infrequent “worst case” scenario you describe above. Even here in charger-rich CA, I almost never come across public L2 chargers anywhere near 72 or 80A. They’re just not a thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chris and Rocky_H
Super interesting, but I don’t think stuffing a bunch of expensive charging equipment in every car is a reasonable solution to the very infrequent “worst case” scenario you describe above. Even here in charger-rich CA, I almost never come across public L2 chargers anywhere near 72 or 80A. They’re just not a thing.
I've used 5 or 6 80A L2's in NH and VT. More, if you count sites with multiple stations. They are also very common in Canada, where Sun Country Highway installed lots of rebranded Clipper Creek CS-100's a few years back.

Are you saying that you came upon a damaged site, and was the first to discover it?
No visible damage, just not working. I was not the first. There were 2 other cars who had given up and moved to the L2's by the time I arrived. They said others came by before me. 3 more came by while I was charging. The superchargers had power (Tesla logos lit up). One of the other drivers said something about the power company having come by and saying everything looked good on their end. One of the other drivers had supercharged successfully earlier that day, so it was only down for a few hours at that point.

What reason did Tesla give for the lag in informing in-car Navigation?
No explanation - that would require 2-way communication. It was Sunday night and support was closed; no one answered the phone. My email got no response as of Monday PM.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
No explanation - that would require 2-way communication. It was Sunday night and support was closed; no one answered the phone. My email got no response as of Monday PM.
I've been an owner for 4-years. Tesla needs to stop advertising that they provide emergency roadside assistance. Should be rebranded.
Occasional, if-we-arent-too-busy, roadside assistance.

I've been an owner for 4-years. Tesla needs to stop advertising that they provide emergency roadside assistance. Should be rebranded.
Occasional, if-we-arent-too-busy, roadside assistance.
I get your point, but to be fair to Tesla, I didn't try the roadside service phone menu option, just supercharging support. I didn't need/want a spare tire or tow, so I didn't think they'd help. I'm out of warranty, so I'm not calling Tesla for a tow that will cost me, when AAA plus gets me free 100 mile towing (more than enough to get to the next supercharger).

@tga I'm not saying you should have had them show up or send a tow truck. I'm just saying, that when it comes to the Superchargers, that is, for most people, the first, the last, and the only link that solves their range anxiety. If Tesla can't at least have a human monitoring, coordinating, dispatching repair people... then a) many people stranded and b) black-eye for the Tesla brand; and c) learning not to trust in-car navigation.

Reactions: tga