Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wifi Wall Connector 48 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3rd gen looks pretty great. Daisy-chaining is done over WiFi, can support up to 16 wall connectors, and each wall connector is individually breakered (no need to run #3 to each wall connector) and can split total power coming into a subpanel. Thinner cable (since it's only rated up to 48A). Wish they'd been around a month ago when I bought 2 Gen 2's - it would have enabled me to build the exact setup i'd wanted.

Does anybody know if my late 2014 model S can be upgraded to have dual 40 amp chargers and about what it would cost?
It can be done in theory. It used to cost about $2-3k. Although I kinda doubt Tesla will do it any more.

Back to the topic at hand, I think this speaks pretty clearly to Tesla’s direction and rules out the idea/hope that Tesla is going to return to higher amperage onboard chargers any time soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah, just read the manual. I thought it would pass through anything and they meant current cars. But nope. Only handles 60 A circuit so 48 Amp charging.

So only drawback will be for those with larger chargers when used as destination chargers when you could be done and out of the way if someone is waiting.

It can be done in theory. It used to cost about $2-3k. Although I kinda doubt Tesla will do it any more.

Back to the topic at hand, I think this speaks pretty clearly to Tesla’s direction and rules out the idea/hope that Tesla is going to return to higher amperage onboard chargers any time soon.

Hopefully the 72A chargers or something similar will make a comeback when the Cybertruck comes out. With a 150-200 kWh battery it seems like 48A might be cutting it close for an “overnight” charge if you run your battery down. Maybe Tesla collected data on early Model S folks and saw that very few people were regularly charging at more than 50 amps. If so I can see why they moved everyone to a 48A charger to save production cost and simplify the lineup, but it seems like an option that should be available on a near six figure flagship car.

I paid $1800 extra for my MX when ordering the 72A upgrade in 2017. And would do it again.
I agree the HPWC wiring install for 80 theoretical amps is a pain... (actually it was not only a pain, also $$$) but it was worth it. I really like charging at 17kW at home. With about 2 hours notice I can easily add 40% to my state of charge.

So now that Tesla has set in stone that they are going to stick with the 48A HPWC..., and no more onboard chargers above 48A, I wonder if they have something else as a trade off up their collective sleeves.. that mitigates the need for 72+A charging. Hmmm...
-TechVP

Hopefully the 72A chargers or something similar will make a comeback when the Cybertruck comes out. With a 150-200 kWh battery it seems like 48A might be cutting it close for an “overnight” charge if you run your battery down. Maybe Tesla collected data on early Model S folks and saw that very few people were regularly charging at more than 50 amps. If so I can see why they moved everyone to a 48A charger to save production cost and simplify the lineup, but it seems like an option that should be available on a near six figure flagship car.

I think that it was a number of other factors
  • Average commute, even double the average commute can easily be charged overnight at 48A
  • Very few installations are capable of adding a more than 60A breaker.
  • Lots of UMC cables sold with happy consumers, so 32A charging actually works
  • The "make it as big as possible" only tends to add to range anxiety, not solve it
  • As a thread that I just read was talking about the SR+ sales, the need for really big battery isn't that big.
Even the dual charger stories that I have heard are generally only once in a full moon are they needed, plus most importantly, the Supercharger network has been built out significantly since the dual chargers were available, seriously reducing their need.

Reactions: smilepak and ucmndd
I echo the sentiments of those saddened to see higher amp charging go away. I've posted this before but being able to charger our S at 80 amps is not something we need very often, but it has happened. Typically it's when we need to run errands or have appointments most of the day on a Friday yet we're planning on leaving town after dinner Friday evening. With 80 amps we don't to worry about returning home at a low SOC because by the time we have dinner, pack up, and leave we've recharged sufficiently to easily reach the first Supercharger on our route.

Is being limited to 48-amp charging the end of the world? Of course not. It's just nice to have when it's necessary. And when folks who can charge at 80 amps find us on PlugShare and stop by, it's nice that we can deliver 80 amps to them and they can be on their way sooner. This, though, is becoming a rarer occurrence as the D/FW metroplex gets more and more Superchargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: cityberty
  • Average commute, even double the average commute can easily be charged overnight at 48A
  • The "make it as big as possible" only tends to add to range anxiety, not solve it
  • As a thread that I just read was talking about the SR+ sales, the need for really big battery isn't that big.
Even the dual charger stories that I have heard are generally only once in a full moon are they needed, plus most importantly, the Supercharger network has been built out significantly since the dual chargers were available, seriously reducing their need.
Agree. An 11.5kw charger can bring a 100kwh battery from dead to completely full in about 9 hours. If you need more than that quickly, get ye to thy supercharger.

Also add that many of the people trying to charge to 80 may have installed with a #6 wire and experiencing many issues

Also add that many of the people trying to charge to 80 may have installed with a #6 wire and experiencing many issues
Huh? Are you talking about people doing a 100A circuit (providing for 80A) but actually used 6 gauge wire? That would be pure ignorance and is a blatant code violation, and I would certainly dispute that "many" people have done that. An electrician wouldn't, and most do it yourselfers would have a bit more sense on something so basic.

Reducing the Amp rating allowed for thinner lighter cable.
Yes, that is a nice benefit, since most people won't need the 80A capacity that requires the thicker cable. Interesting that they are getting to make them with a shorter and thinner cable but still charge the same price. Niiiice, Tesla.

I really debated back and forth in 2014 about getting the dual charger. I didn't want it for home use, but it was Idaho, and I figured that getting travel coverage might be really handy with some higher amp AC charging on trips. I decided not to for two reasons. One was that it was $3,800 freaking dollars because they were bundling it with a wall connector I didn't want. And the other was that I saw they were already building out the Supercharger network, so I thought I would only have to deal with it for a few years before they built that out, and then it didn't matter. Well, we are here six years later, and the Supercharger build out has been ignoring these routes near me that are 250+ miles without Supercharger coverage, but with high amp wall connectors that I still can't take advantage of. I kind of wished I had gotten the second charger when I had the chance.