Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "wraparound" dash door panels for the US Model Y's - retrofit to existing cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting, but I can't see spending that much money to make my car look like a new Tesla, I'd have to get rid of the actual leather steering wheel, the bumpers that have US sensors in them, the CHROME. Sounds like a LOT of work, but probably cheaper than trading in and buying a new Tesla.

This is interesting, but I can't see spending that much money to make my car look like a new Tesla, I'd have to get rid of the actual leather steering wheel, the bumpers that have US sensors in them, the CHROME. Sounds like a LOT of work, but probably cheaper than trading in and buying a new Tesla.
Way cheaper! I traded in my 3 since at the time I could get a 1.82% interest rate so I’m sticking with this thing for the long haul!
I’m thinking about doing this as I like modifying my cars. There’s not much to be had for power mods, not like an ICE where there’s loads of engine mods, turbo boost this, intercooler that, etc. Maybe the tuner companies in CA can, but I’m just not feeling the need to make big changes however I’d always do something to keep my interest up, can’t leave well enough alone!
Shout out to the folks willing to take a chance and get the updated parts so folks like me can follow in their footsteps 👍

Reactions: Destiny1701
Just reached out to my service center in SoCal. They weren't even aware of the new door panels.

He was very helpful over the phone, I explained that several users on the forums have already ordered the parts and installed them. He just simply sent me an email so I had his contact info and requested all the relevant information including part numbers, which I provided courtesy of the members above. We'll see what they say.

I'd like to see if I can get a tech to come out and just install them for me.

I specified I wouldn't be ordering the wood trim as I'd be immediately replacing them with a drop in carbon fiber trim piece, and only needed the door cards. Will update, and if successful I'll forward you the info to the service center that I'm using. The guy was super helpful and responsive and seemed eager to help me get the project done.
Thank you. Much appreciated!

What a fantastic write up! I went with an aftermarket mahogany wood "caps" on the dash and the center console, but man does this carbon fiber look so "correct" against the silver and silver trim, black fleather, and suede.

I'll definitely be taking this project on in the near future.

Very interesting find with the lack of insulation in the doors. Great observation there and probably worth it alone.

That final interior shot in your following post just makes everything look so complete.
Thank you! I hope it helps you (and others) with this upgrade. I'm several weeks into the upgrade now and am thoroughly enjoying it - it was a solid purchase as far as I'm concerned - I don't regret doing the work one bit.

Thank you! I hope it helps you (and others) with this upgrade. I'm several weeks into the upgrade now and am thoroughly enjoying it - it was a solid purchase as far as I'm concerned - I don't regret doing the work one bit.
Do you think you could provide the part numbers for the people with the white interior?

Do you know if you can swap the white part where you rest you arm against onto the black one in case they don't sell the white?

Thank you. Much appreciated!
Yup, my service center had no issues ordering the parts I wanted. I'm asking now about having a mobile tech install them for me. Either way I'm doing it.

I don't think there's any problem with posting an SA's info here, so I'll just go ahead and do it. I just sent him the part numbers for the door cards, and told him I don't need the trim pieces as I'll be immediately installing the pre-preg carbon units from Fusion Motorsport. They didn't have any issue with that. Total on my service appointment says $978, but I'm not sure if that includes the trim and or install or not. Clarifying up with them now on it regarding the pricing.

The wraparound trim part is cool, but I'm most excited about the new sound insulation and the flocking in the pockets for NVH reduction and the more "solid" door feeling that @EightBitWhit mentioned.

8336F616-9516-41C0-891C-2577AD00101C.jpeg

Here’s my invoice for parts and install. FYI, my SA informed me that they’re happy to make it happen for me, but to let the forum know that it’s not going to be open season for every person who contacts them and asks. I asked for clarification but I’m assuming this means if you reach out don’t expect a guaranteed parts order or install I guess.

I probably should have asked before publishing their info as I can’t edit it out anymore but I wouldn’t reach out to that SA as they don’t seem keen on being the person to facilitate everyone’s parts and service work for this upgrade.

I still don’t understand why the US Model Y doesn’t have them while the MIC/MIG Y’s have had them for MONTH‘s. What’s taking so long?
suppliers have to catch up. Those door panels were sourced by Tesla in China and other vendors only got orders much later.
COVID and components have kept a lid on suppliers.
there are a couple threads here where the MiC door cards have been ordered from a local US SC and DIY installed.

IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1597.JPG

New door panels installed! Old (left) vs the new (right). I will agree with the poster above who noted that the doors do sound much more solid when you shut them. Initially I couldn't tell the difference, but when I had the other door shut, and shut the drivers door, it was actually surprisingly noticeable. Install took about 20 minutes for the tech. Watching him (he was very friendly) it probably would have taken me a couple hours. He knew exactly where all the wires, clips, etc were to unplug and replug, and it was an absolute breeze for him.

These new panels do indeed have a new ambient LED in them somewhere, but he confirmed older cars don't have the pigtail for them so you won't be getting that ambient LED (unless you do some creative wiring, which I'm not going to bother with)

I did get the wood trim pieces as well, but my carbon dash and trim replacements from Fusion Motorsports are being delivered on Monday so I figured I'd just leave them uninstalled so I don't have to bother uninstalling them. Just snap the new ones in place and be done with it.

Overall great experience with this particular tech, he was super friendly and was clearly a car guy, was digging all the other little modifications I've got in the car, and was just super professional in general and got the job done super fast.

For $70, I'd say paying for the tech to come out and do it was well worth it. For you you may feel different, but I'm glad I had him come out and do it.

It definitely is DIY friendly, I just hate working on cars and this guy was in and out and installed them perfectly. Some stuff like the manual release would have been annoying for me to figure out, and although I could have figured it out, like I said... 20 minutes in and out for $70. Super worth it.

He was even nice enough to be gentle with the clips as he took the old panels out. He asked me if I wanted the old panels taken or if I wanted to keep them. He said they'd be going in the trash if they took them, and I said I'd be selling them. So with that in mind, he mentioned they normally just rip the old clips out which destroys them. He took his time and carefully pulled them out and re-seated them into the old door panels so that they're install ready for whoever buys them, and also gave me the original covers for the new door panels to put the old ones in to have them protected and ready for shipment.

I'm happy.

Also worth noting... that sound insulation looks like it bolts up to open holes that look like would line up perfect on the old panel. Not sure if there is a part #, but for those just wanting the sound insulation pad, you probably could do it. Though if you're going to that trouble, I'd probably be using Dynamat or something of that nature and filling the entire door panel. Still, it could be an option.

Last edited:
View attachment 879999

Here’s my invoice for parts and install. FYI, my SA informed me that they’re happy to make it happen for me, but to let the forum know that it’s not going to be open season for every person who contacts them and asks. I asked for clarification but I’m assuming this means if you reach out don’t expect a guaranteed parts order or install I guess.

I probably should have asked before publishing their info as I can’t edit it out anymore but I wouldn’t reach out to that SA as they don’t seem keen on being the person to facilitate everyone’s parts and service work for this upgrade.
You paid 800 bucks for new plastic? Lol

You paid 800 bucks for new plastic? Lol
Indeed I did. Lol. That’s what this whole thread is all about. Paying $800 for new plastic lmao.

I love the new door trim inserts and the new sound insulation, and flocked door pockets, and since I was going with the full carbon replacement dash, I couldn’t not go along with the replacement carbon door trim to match it.

Where are all the OLD door panels going? Perhaps I should buy a set for when my car ages
If you let Tesla take them, I was told they are going in the garbage. I'm going to be listing mine up on eBay as an auction, probably will net not a whole lot after shipping, but not really sure who is going to buy them on craigslist, although I'll be listing them there. Maybe people who have damaged theirs with a scratch in the pleather, or whatever would benefit from purchasing them.

Reactions: Dayreg and israndy
Project complete. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely love it. The dashboard and trim panels are from Fusion Motorsports, and they are full replacements (core return, factory pieces that have been remanufactured).

Fit and finish is great. Glare really isn't an issue, as I'm sure many are wondering. To be fair it's a pretty overcast day, but I did hit some spots with direct sunlight blasting right off the dash, and it didn't in the slightest impair my vision or annoy me.

The gloss carbon is extremely 3 dimensional, and the weave is of a very high quality. The dashboard had all the insulation and sound dampening materials in the right spots, I compared it with my OEM dash and it's 1:1. The foam they used looks even better than the stock Tesla foam. It bolted right in with the clips with no drama, same with the door trim.

Last photo is with the door panel slightly ajar FYI.

IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1626.jpg
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg

would love an answer to this as I have white interior

It’s the same part number since the white door inserts have been completely discontinued.

You would also need part numbers for the rear doors for cohesiveness, making this retrofit double the price for white interior cars.

So essentially same door cards up front, white plastic trim pieces, and two new rear door cards are needed.

It appears white interior folks are less interested in this retrofit. I am also not interested since I love the white door inserts.

It’s the same part number since the white door inserts have been completely discontinued.

You would also need part numbers for the rear doors for cohesiveness, making this retrofit double the price for white interior cars.

So essentially same door cards up front, white plastic trim pieces, and two new rear door cards are needed.

It appears white interior folks are less interested in this retrofit. I am also not interested since I love the white door inserts.
We want to know what the part numbers are for the white top inserts.

I want to know if the white insert for the lower part, where the elbow rests up against it removable, if so I would remove it and put it on the new door card.

We want to know what the part numbers are for the white top inserts.

I want to know if the white insert for the lower part, where the elbow rests up against it removable, if so I would remove it and put it on the new door card.

oh, well in that case contact your sc or search epc and provide your results for those also searching.

insert likely not removable without heating glue.