Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X Plaid Poor Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you have got to be not in plaid mode. I have driven fast 600+ hp cars my whole life and my model x plaid is on a whole another level when it comes to straight line acceleration. Its suppose to be neck snapping stomach turning sicking fast. And its not only fast from 0-60. Even freeway fulls this heavy suv pull harder than most modern super cars like a current model Ferrari or a 911 turbo.

you have got to be not in plaid mode. I have driven fast 600+ hp cars my whole life and my model x plaid is on a whole another level when it comes to straight line acceleration. Its suppose to be neck snapping stomach turning sicking fast. And its not only fast from 0-60. Even freeway fulls this heavy suv pull harder than most modern super cars like a current model Ferrari or a 911 turbo.

I have a heavily modfied 960hp Hellcat, a '21 MSP and now the '23 MXP... I have had an RSQ8, AMG GLE 63 S, and on and on and on.... I can say with 100% certainty that the MXP does not perform like the MSP even weight taken into consideration. I do believe that there are 2 factors involved in the change in performance. 1) The X seems to be heavily affected by SOC. I don't know if that's software versions or X specific curve. 2) The X seems to perform very differently depending on what settings you have the suspension in. I've not had time to test, but I believe that when in AUTO, power is pulled.

I have a heavily modfied 960hp Hellcat, a '21 MSP and now the '23 MXP... I have had an RSQ8, AMG GLE 63 S, and on and on and on.... I can say with 100% certainty that the MXP does not perform like the MSP even weight taken into consideration. I do believe that there are 2 factors involved in the change in performance. 1) The X seems to be heavily affected by SOC. I don't know if that's software versions or X specific curve. 2) The X seems to perform very differently depending on what settings you have the suspension in. I've not had time to test, but I believe that when in AUTO, power is pulled.
I think your MXP has an issue. It's night and day at all curves from a MYP.

Of course a model x plaid is not as fast as a model s plaid. The s plaid is a low 9 second 150mph+ car Where as the model x plaid is a high 9 second 140mph+ 1/4 miles car. But The model x plaid still should pull much harder than any normal stock gas super car.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Of course a model x plaid is not as fast as a model s plaid. The s plaid is a low 9 second 150mph+ car Where as the model x plaid is a high 9 second 140mph+ 1/4 miles car. But The model x plaid still should pull much harder than any normal stock gas super car.
And way harder than a MYP.

The SOC is far less taxing on the plaid than the MY/M3P. The MSP can still run sub 10s with 20% SOC.

There isn't a whole lot of "seat of the pants" difference between 0.5s. As I've used the term "perception" several times, I am keenly aware of what it should do vs. what it seems to be doing. I just wish I had the time to go to a track or a nice stretch of road and a timer to put numbers on it instead of "perception".

While my X was being tinted, I drove my S and I love that car so much have decided to keep it and not sell it. But it also reminded me that the X has yet to deliver those smiles and more questions as to why.

Why don’t you test it on a drag strip or empty road and check its 0-100 mph and compare to the S. It should not be that far off. I have t done any plaid mode / cheetah launches yet, but plan to do as soon as I find a stretch of road to do it. The X does feel very big and boat-y- could be a subjective “insulation” feel and mass masking it.

Last edited:
Friend brought a Aventador SVJ Roadster over this past weekend and said the Plaid X made the 600k Lambo feel slow. I also drove a friend's quad motor R1S and it felt about as fast as a MYP up to 50, nowhere close to the MXP

Yes. Tesla have removed lots of power. When the battery is cold. And soc is low.
And that's not all... If you heat up your battery with the dragracing button. It's just 31-37-39°C depending on soc.
This is why model Y long range and performance can beat you from 5-40mph some times.
Do you want to feel the power you had back in early 2022 2023? Go to a supercharger. Battery gets up to 50°c. And you get the power back. If you take the X plaid out on the morning. It won't spinn on water etc. Don't watch early YouTube video's, where they show the power from low soc etc. You just gets sad.
So remember to always have high soc AND a hot battery. Or else you have no chance against porches or Lamborghini etc.
Thanks Tesla :)
(this started happening in January February march 2023. I did not update my car because of this. Was fun having a faster car than S Plaid 😂. I actually tried to get my cars banned for getting software updates on this forum. But didn't have the time to do anything about it when tesla pushed automatic updates and installs.. )

i was driving around yesterday at 40% soc and the x plaid is still faster than 99% of the cars on the road in that state. probably low 10 sec 1/4 mile

When I took delivery of my X, it meant driving my Y there (220 miles) and bringing back 2 vehicles, with my buddy driving back my Y. Since my wife, who has MS, gets dizzy easily, there was no chance to test Plaid performance until after we dropped her and Y off and driving my buddy home. A few blocks from his house (at a stop sign), I briefly floored it and a big old lag and disappointing performance. I attributed it to the 20% battery and said I'd have to RTFM and dropped him off. On the way home I put it in Plaid mode and again briefly floored it, and there it was. Put a big grin on my face.

... A few blocks from his house (at a stop sign), I briefly floored it and a big old lag and disappointing performance. I attributed it to the 20% battery and said I'd have to RTFM and dropped him off. On the way home I put it in Plaid mode and again briefly floored it, and there it was. Put a big grin on my face.

So, ~20% SOC --> sucks

Was the car NOT in the Plaid mode?

Then, what, you did what afterwards to get that grin on your face?

All you did was put the car in Plaid mode and that was it, at similar ~20% SOC ?

Details, please !!! :)